SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Cel obdii p0456

On my way to work today I got a CEL and checked it with my el cheapo scanner that I keep in the glovebox and it pulled P0456. Upon researching online and on the forums here, I found that it is a small leak in the evaporative emissions system. It was detailed rather throughly in this thread but I was wondering if anyone has had this before and if so how did they resolve it? I understand that the nature of this code doesn't mean a 1 fix fixes all solution but I just wanted to get a feel of what I'm up against.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cel obdii p0456

Well, the detailed information given didn't seem to help as the OP in that post never returned with a reply. What makes Saturnfans a wealth of free information is the feedback given to help close a thread as well as spread the news of another successful outcome. That thread is left open without any resolution.

The least you can try would be to examine your gas cap and filler neck for a damaged/dirty gasket or neck and clean it. Personally, I tried a simple fix for my P0456 - cleaned filler neck and cap then a light spray of silicone lube on the cap gasket and allowed to dry before reusing the cap; the error went away and has never come back in the 10 years of ownership. I try the lowest cost fixes before spending money (have silicone spray for many uses). Be aware that silicone, as in grease or oil, if allowed to enter the exhaust system will damage the O2 sensor(s) by coating it and impeding normal operation. Whether you choose to do this is your choice. If this or a new OEM gas cap does not make this error code go away then more troubleshooting is needed.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...The least you can try would be to examine your gas cap and filler neck for a damaged/dirty gasket or neck and clean it. Personally, I tried a simple fix for my P0456 - cleaned filler neck and cap then a light spray of silicone lube on the cap gasket and allowed to dry before reusing the cap; ...
Great! Thanks for the tip. I'll swing by Advance on my way home from work and grab some. We'll see if that does the trick and I'll post the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Well I thought my problem was solved! About 2 weeks ago I removed the gas cap with the T25 driver and throughly cleaned and scrubbed it back the strange green it was. I also used a mild cleaner and scrubbed the rim of the filler neck. Then I used the silicone spray on the gasket and cleared the CEL. All was good until this morning, stopped at a stoplight on the way to work, the CEL came back on. Checked it when I got into the parking lot and sure enough, it was the P0456 code again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thoroughly cleaned the strange green? Green as in mildew? Fungus growth?

Is the cap gasket cracked in several places that's allowing pressure/vacuum leaks? If damaged then no amount of silicone treatment will restore dry rot. A new cap is needed.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
stoickiwi

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Thoroughly cleaned the strange green? Green as in mildew? Fungus growth?

Is the cap gasket cracked in several places that's allowing pressure/vacuum leaks? If damaged then no amount of silicone treatment will restore dry rot. A new cap is needed.
The strange green "color" (I forgot that noun :P) was the pale green gasket that was around the fuel filler cap. It was the rubberized part that I sprayed. It didn't seem dry rotten and was still quite flexible as well. The CEL hasn't come back after the last time thankfully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!