SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
dleclerc
dleclerc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 06 Vue, Changing battery and DRL

I had to change the original battery in my 06 Vue and since then, it doesn't matter if it is daytime or nighttime, my full headlight system turns on automatically. Even when it is a full day, my full headlight, instrument panel is on like it is night. Could the changing of the battery fry the sensor or is there a learning process that I need to do?

Thanks,

Denis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dleclerc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dleclerc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 06 Vue, Changing battery and DRL

There are never any guarantees to anything when car batteries are replaced or even disconnected when attempting something as simple as a power reset when performing any type of maintenance. The majority of the time nothing happens so the best you can do is disconnect battery negative for a minute and reconnect. Hopefully a reset of the daytime running light circuit (in the bcm) corrects it. You can also choose to remove the BCM fuse(s) instead of battery power as this does the same without disconnecting main power to everything. The bcm has the DRL program among many other programs it runs and most likely having a bad day when power was removed.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

One of the things I have found is that the automatic headlight sensor is extremely sensitive to any shadow. On ALL of my Vues (the 4 that I own/have had) as well as my past L200, the least shadow would trip the headlights. The shadow of the A-pillar hitting the sensor is enough to turn the headlights on my 06 Vue. My 08 has been known to turn the lights on just going under an overpass. Back when we had a true Saturn dealer, I asked the question several times and based on our discussions we determined the sensor has a mind of its own. I once looked into changing out the sensor, but there was too much work involved. IIRC you had to pull the entire dash (depending on the year). So, I just put it on the list of little quirks. The only hard part is I can read the radio head during the day, but I have my presets memorized anyway. (I have a watch for the time).

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Martyx11x11
Martyx11x11 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclerc View Post
I had to change the original battery in my 06 Vue and since then, it doesn't matter if it is daytime or nighttime, my full headlight system turns on automatically. Even when it is a full day, my full headlight, instrument panel is on like it is night. Could the changing of the battery fry the sensor or is there a learning process that I need to do?

Thanks,

Denis
Denis this is what happens when the daytime running light resistor is no good. Do this test start you vue and put it in gear and keep a watch on your daytime running light indictor on the dash if it flashes 3 times and go's out your resistor is no good and will need to be replaced.
More info http://www.justanswer.com/saturn/3us...ode-b2600.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Martyx11x11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Martyx11x11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Martyx11x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

homerec130, I can tell you that you're partially incorrect and possibly totally. As far as the L200 and GM's Daytime Running Light system, its the same for virtually all DRL's in operation; leaving the headlight switch in auto mode the DRL light sensor monitors ambient light and turns on the daytime running lights when driving (using either low or high beams in a series wired circuit to reduce current), switching to a parallel wired system for full current to low beam lamps. Halogen lamps allows this to work without dimming in daylight while prolonging lamp life. My '03 L300 never switches on full lighting in shadows, trees, in over passes unless a minimum of 15 seconds passes where the light sensor detects dark long enough to warrant full lighting (including instrument panel). Once out of the over passes the DRL's returns from full lighting back to daytime front lights. I've never seen mine trigger erratically when going from daylight to shadows anywhere unless well inside an overpass when full lighting comes on automatically. I can say this with certainty for L200's. Vues should be operating the same way without any erratic triggering of lighting anytime. If there is a consistency to this as you say then perhaps there is something in common to make your L200 and Vues trigger erratically.

Is the light sensor covered, broken, disabled, damaged on any vehicle? L200's do not use any resistor to reduce current for daytime lighting but Vues do. Left front fender well will have one or two heavy duty(?) ceramic resistors used to reduce current to headlights in Vues (as opposed to other models using a series/parallel wiring scheme along with a relay) when in DRL mode. As mentioned, these ceramic resistors do fail and sometimes signal their failure with the DRL indicator flashing several times at engine start up. A well known member here, far2grumpy, has posted wiring and drawings. Some members posted pictures of these resistors so anyone here can see what they look like and find them to replace without resorting to a dealer. A search will turn up these pics within the Vue forums.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
dleclerc
dleclerc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I did change my DRL resistor less then a year ago so I don't think that is it. This behavior started immediately after changing my battery.

Denis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dleclerc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dleclerc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dleclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleclerc View Post

Thanks,

Denis
Same thing happened to me after battery change on 2006 Vue.

I pulled the AHL relay (auto-head light) for a few seconds (center console fuse box - next to seated passengers left foot).

The relay reset and has been good to go for many months now.

If the relay reset does not fix ... try pulling the sensor - you can do so instantly - just slide a putty knife blade under the rim and it'll pop right out.

The sensor is a plug-in affair - you can remove as one temp fix but I suggest you replace with a small wattage 2K ohm resistor to keep the BCM happy until you can find a replacement.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
homerec130, I can tell you that you're partially incorrect and possibly totally. As far as the L200 and GM's Daytime Running Light system, its the same for virtually all DRL's in operation; leaving the headlight switch in auto mode the DRL light sensor monitors ambient light and turns on the daytime running lights when driving (using either low or high beams in a series wired circuit to reduce current), switching to a parallel wired system for full current to low beam lamps. Halogen lamps allows this to work without dimming in daylight while prolonging lamp life. My '03 L300 never switches on full lighting in shadows, trees, in over passes unless a minimum of 15 seconds passes where the light sensor detects dark long enough to warrant full lighting (including instrument panel). Once out of the over passes the DRL's returns from full lighting back to daytime front lights. I've never seen mine trigger erratically when going from daylight to shadows anywhere unless well inside an overpass when full lighting comes on automatically. I can say this with certainty for L200's. Vues should be operating the same way without any erratic triggering of lighting anytime. If there is a consistency to this as you say then perhaps there is something in common to make your L200 and Vues trigger erratically.

Is the light sensor covered, broken, disabled, damaged on any vehicle? L200's do not use any resistor to reduce current for daytime lighting but Vues do. Left front fender well will have one or two heavy duty(?) ceramic resistors used to reduce current to headlights in Vues (as opposed to other models using a series/parallel wiring scheme along with a relay) when in DRL mode. As mentioned, these ceramic resistors do fail and sometimes signal their failure with the DRL indicator flashing several times at engine start up. A well known member here, far2grumpy, has posted wiring and drawings. Some members posted pictures of these resistors so anyone here can see what they look like and find them to replace without resorting to a dealer. A search will turn up these pics within the Vue forums.
FDryer,

Not questioning what you are saying, but I was going by what my former Saturn dealer and I had discussed. This occurred essentially from day one on each of the Vues (03, 04, 06, and 08). It is too much of a coincidence for all of them to be bad. My 08 has the sensor in the middle of the dash and that one seems to be less affected by shadow. My 06 is very susceptible to shadow as it sits on the right side of the dash and often picks up the shadow from the A-pillar. I wish there was a way to disable to sensor and go back to full manual on the headlights like we had in the old days.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Talking about DRL, my 2002 VUE had them on the yellow corner markers but my 05 has them on the low beam head lights.
I'd like to put HID but still retail DRL, can I move them to the yellow corners some how?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

homerec130, I'd go with far2g's suggestions first before trying anything else. I just don't understand how sensitive your DRL's are to light when GM designed them to accommodate the quick changes from light to dark as we drive everywhere with trees, buildings, overhead roadways. There's definitely an issue with your sensors. I replaced my battery a few years ago without issue. If this occurred to me I'd be tearing into my wiring diagrams until I figured out a solution or disable DRL's altogether.

I would imagine, initially, something with the light sensor triggering full lighting according to descriptions and might try the sensor without the filter cover if possible? I'm guessing the sensor may have degraded to where its become sensitive - electronically outputting too low or too high a signal. Removing the filter cover may allow it to be less sensitive. Trial and error.

vasy, unfortunately our DRL's have been evolving according to GM's whims where each model in GM's family uses different wiring schemes, making any suggestions more difficult. If you've been following this thread and read posts in other forums, wiring isn't similar. Only a wiring diagram for your model can sort out how yours is wired. A first guess is that its not as feasible as it may sound with a major wire change.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
vasy, unfortunately our DRL's have been evolving according to GM's whims where each model in GM's family uses different wiring schemes, making any suggestions more difficult.....A first guess is that its not as feasible as it may sound with a major wire change.
Does every one get DRL on 05+ on low beam or do some get them on the corners?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can only guess for USA GM models. Canada may be different especially when required? If mandatory in Canada then rules may be different on what constitutes daytime running lights.

Here in the USA DRL's are not mandatory at all. Zero, nada, zilch. Its strictly GM's offer to raise the safety bar up from the norm. I don't know if you drive anywhere in the USA but angel eyes (Audi's), aftermarket leds, whatever are used as a novel way to dress up a car and not address anything approaching lighting to warn drivers in daylight. No vehicle manufacturer is required to have daytime running lights so you won't see them on Fords, Chrysler's, Ferrari's, Rolls Royce's, Bently's, etc.. Any manufacturer can create DRL's if they choose to. By voluntarily creating DRL's, GM can choose any lighting they feel; two high beams, one high beam, two low beams, one low beam, one high/one low, use parking lights, one light, any light, even a dome light if it can be seen. No rules or regulations for the USA market - strictly a way for one vehicle manufacturer to promote safety while one upmanship gets everyone to notice.

When you realize that USA has no federal or state regulation governing any type of daytime lighting for cars you'll understand why GM decided to 'play' with different wiring schemes and not standardize any design. Another difficulty with DRL's is the better lighting with HID's; HID's demands full 12v power to drive each ballast for full current. Conventional halogen lamps can operate in a series circuit with one lamp wired in series with the second lamp to reduce current to half while not showing any dimming. HID lamps cannot operate this way at all and more than a few Saturnfans members try wiring HID's into their DRL wiring only to find out their lighting failed. The ballasts and HID's are fine but incorrectly wired into the DRL circuit. DRL's work fine only with halogen lamps while still providing long life. My original halogen lamps were working after 9 years but I decided to buy new ones to retire the old ones.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!