SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #1
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Throttle Body Question... Thanks Far2Grumpy

So I salvaged all the 02 Sensors, MAF Sensor, IAT Sensor, Throttle Body, and a few other odd bits...

However, when I took the air box off, I found a ton of oil and stuff in the throttle body... I also found what looks like stuck on oil/rust? on the inside (see pics)... The car was driving before he murderd it, so I presume its fine, but that spot has me worried... This throttle body was replaced last Febuaury, so its not even that old.. I grabbed it because if mine ever goes out, i dunno if i could source a good one easily.. But now am wondering if this spot will hurt its operation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle+1.jpg (101.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg throttle 2+1.jpg (137.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg throttle 3+1.jpg (94.8 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Throttle Body Question... Thanks Far2Grumpy

I don't see any spots that would worry me.

You can imagine what would happen with nine quarts of oil in crankcase. Lots of oil would be sucked through PCV system (oil separator) into the throttle body.

Without thinking it over too deeply I'd suggest the engine would choke on mix being sucked into cylinders and would lose fire and die before catastrophic damage occurred.

Who decided the engine was toast?

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
travlincub321
travlincub321 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I don't see any spots that would worry me.

You can imagine what would happen with nine quarts of oil in crankcase. Lots of oil would be sucked through PCV system (oil separator) into the throttle body.

Without thinking it over too deeply I'd suggest the engine would choke on mix being sucked into cylinders and would lose fire and die before catastrophic damage occurred.

Who decided the engine was toast?
I called it dead actually, but considering what was coming out of the exhaust pipe (pure white smoke, with a blue tinge) and the fact that sunday afternoon I was trying to get it to run right and it would hardly crank, even after draining all of the oil out of it and replacing it..The yesterday it refused to crank over at all... I suspect the oil cooler blew and was causing issue as well, plus the oil cap was quite sludged over.. Plus the who engine was covered in a thick layer of grease, oil and filth, and there was oil in the air filter, dripping out of the exaust pipe, just spewing oil and white yuck every where.. I am amazed it even ran... Kinda shows how strong the car was... It was very abused.. In the end, he needed a new car and this last fiasco confirmed it...

The owner of the car is not a mechanical person and he actually was not fond of his vue... He didn't care for it like he should have and he couldn't afford to repair it, nor did he have the patience to take it any where but Chevy. Its had many issues and recently the transmission starting refusing to shift into reverse at times

No sadly, this was one abused vue that needed to be retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travlincub321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travlincub321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travlincub321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
QuantumRift
QuantumRift is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

That TB looks nice; generally the thing that affects a TB is wear on the bushings and side to side movement of the butterfly valve or binding where it will not completely close. On cable driven TBs badly tensioned cables can add wear to the valve and mechanism when floored and it's yanked open against the stops.

As for that oil, wow. that much oil, the crank would have whipped the oil into bubbly non-pumpable froth. Wow. I wonder what it sounded like when it was first started up with all that oil in the crankcase.... like it was drowning.....yuk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuantumRift's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuantumRift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuantumRift is offline   Reply With Quote