SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
fitztool
fitztool is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 OEM Fog Light Switch Install/Pin Layout Needed!

Hey Guys,

I am going to be installing a set of OEM Fog Lights and Switch in my 05 Vue. I do not want to wire these into the BCM. I would like to wire them up as a stand alone circuit. I have the stock Fog Lights, and a stock Fog light switch. Has anyone on here done this?

From reading up, it appears the factory fog light switch is a Momentary Switch, not a toggle on/off style. There are 5 wires coming out the back of the switch. From left to right: 1-Yellow, 2 Orange, 3 Pink, 4 Empty, 5 Black, 6 Gray. My guess is that 2 of the wires are for the indicator light inside the switch, and the other 3 are the hot, circuit on, and ground. I have pulled the switch apart, taken pictures of the inside board, and re-assembled the switch. There are 2 lights inside the switch(Backlight and Indicator).

Does anyone know if the Indicator is a 12 volt light?

How about a Pin Diagram Layout for what each wire does?

Any ideas on how to wire this into a relay to turn on the Fog Circuit?

I have some electrical system experience with my last ordeal with the BCM/ECU issue I was having.

Thanks,
Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fitztool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fitztool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fitztool is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
fitztool

Default Re: 2005 OEM Fog Light Switch Install/Pin Layout Needed!

Upon playing with a 12 volt battery and a multimeter, I have discovered some things.

Black(5)= Dash Backlight Ground
Gray(6)= Backlight Positive
Pink(3)= LED Indicator Positive
Yellow(1)= LED Indicator Negative
Orange(2)= Momentary Circuit

When the button is pushed in to turn on/off fog lights, Continuity is shown between Orange(2) and Pink(3)

The LED Indicator only lights when 12v Positive is given to Pink(3) and Ground to Yellow(1)

Hope this helps

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fitztool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitztool View Post
Hey Guys,

I am going to be installing a set of OEM Fog Lights and Switch in my 05 Vue. I do not want to wire these into the BCM. I would like to wire them up as a stand alone circuit. I have the stock Fog Lights, and a stock Fog light switch. Has anyone on here done this?

From reading up, it appears the factory fog light switch is a Momentary Switch, not a toggle on/off style. There are 5 wires coming out the back of the switch. From left to right: 1-Yellow, 2 Orange, 3 Pink, 4 Empty, 5 Black, 6 Gray. My guess is that 2 of the wires are for the indicator light inside the switch, and the other 3 are the hot, circuit on, and ground. I have pulled the switch apart, taken pictures of the inside board, and re-assembled the switch. There are 2 lights inside the switch(Backlight and Indicator).

Does anyone know if the Indicator is a 12 volt light?

How about a Pin Diagram Layout for what each wire does?

Any ideas on how to wire this into a relay to turn on the Fog Circuit?

I have some electrical system experience with my last ordeal with the BCM/ECU issue I was having.

Thanks,
Mark
Fitztool ... see screen shot for typical Vue fog-light diagram.

The diagram indicates three Fog Lamp Switch wires are active for lamps and two for panel lighting.

PK has 12 volts when key is to RUN/START ... OG provides 12 volt path to BCM when fog-light switch is pressed (path maintained until 12 volts is removed) ... YE is connected to BCM and to FOG LP Relay.

The bulb in switch is 12 volt LED and you can see the BCM provides a ground when fog-lights are requested. The ground lights bulb in fog-lamp switch and also latches the FOG LP Relay.

You could use any part of the factory setup but to my way of thinking I'd connect primary power for the lamp fixtures to a switched bus (RUN/START)and would also trigger the FOG LP Relay to unlatch when high-beams were active.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue Fog Lights.jpg (183.4 KB, 32 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
fitztool

Far2Grumpy,

Thanks for the Diagram. I am not that good at understanding Diagrams like that, but I think I have an idea of what is going on. Would you have any insight on how to wire this up as a stand alone system without a BCM, using the factory fog light switch, and keeping the LED working? I dont want to tap into mine. I want to be able to use these as a stand alone circuit, weather Parking, Lows, or High's are on. I live out in the country, and have had a few run-ins with deer. So the more light the better!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Martyx11x11
Martyx11x11 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm trying to do the same thing with my 06. Have a look at the first link its for the DEI 611T this would work the same as bcm.
http://montecarloforum.com/forum/pai...-lights-30295/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEI-611T-12-...-/140333447156

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Martyx11x11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Martyx11x11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Martyx11x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Far2Grumpy,

Thanks for the Diagram. I am not that good at understanding Diagrams like that, but I think I have an idea of what is going on. Would you have any insight on how to wire this up as a stand alone system without a BCM, using the factory fog light switch, and keeping the LED working? I dont want to tap into mine. I want to be able to use these as a stand alone circuit, weather Parking, Lows, or High's are on. I live out in the country, and have had a few run-ins with deer. So the more light the better!
I'll mark up a diagram with a few suggestions and send it to you.

I totally understand the need for more light in the conditions you mention.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
fitztool

Marty-Like that setup with the DEI Box!

Far2Grumpy, Think you could draw up a layout with that box for the saturn switch? Saturn switch has one more wire coming from it that the Monte I believe.

Thanks guys! Support on this forum is great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Anyone who is serious about wrenching on their own cars should consider spending the $17yr on an alldatadiy.com subscription. Its the same factory information the dealerships have access to, priced for individual vehicles.

-Robert (no financial interest in alldatadiy.com)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Far2Grumpy, Think you could draw up a layout with that box for the saturn switch? Saturn switch has one more wire coming from it that the Monte I believe.
I'm not sure if I could guess at DEI innards. According to wiring diagrams the Monte fog lamp switch interrupts the ground path and the Vue switch deals with 12 volt path.

This probably explains why the DEI box has DIP switches - these could be used to set for either positive (12 volts) or negative (ground) trigger.

I put a circuit together for a Chevy pickup once using the OEM fog-lamp switch and two $5 Bosch-type relays.

The OEM fog-lamp switch was wired so it would turn fogs on when parking lamps were on. The internal LED would also light when fogs were on. The down-side was the OEM switch wouldn't turn fogs OFF. I could turn off by turning parking lights OFF.

I also had the fog lamps on a separate fuse and relay and the relay was connected to START/RUN bus so the fogs would turn off when key was turned off - even if parking lamps were still on. That was my fail-safe condition.

You could order the DEI and they'll surely have a package for wiring most vehicles.

I can either email or post my "home-made" circuit if you want to take a closer look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!