SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
JVD4
JVD4 is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Vue - noise under hood - chirping, then squealing

Fellow Vue owners, I would appreciate any assistance in locating a troubling noise in my engine compartment. I have a 2005 Vue with the 2.2L engine.

When I start the car cold, it runs quietly. After a few minutes, a chirping sound comes from the engine compartment. It is soft and occasional -- every few seconds. As time goes on it becomes louder and more frequent. After several miles is is almost a constant squeal – not a single constant note, but repeating rapidly, a few times a second, like a bearing squeaking.

I cannot locate it with a hose to my ear or with a stethoscope. I comes from under the hood; that’s all I can tell.

It does NOT vary with engine speed, in pitch or frequency, so I know it cannot be a belt. The pitch and frequency don’t seem to vary with vehicle’s travelling speed, either.

In the 1st few minutes after starting, after the noise has begun but while it is soft, it may go away when I rev the engine and / or put the car in motion. I cannot tell for sure, as the engine noise may simply be drowning it out. Once the noise has become loud, it continues whether the car is moving or not. But again, the pitch does not change with engine speed.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JVD4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JVD4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JVD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2005 Vue - noise under hood - chirping, then squealing

I would bet on a worn serpentine belt and/or a worn idler pulley for the belt. I sure sounds like the pulley bearing is dry and beginning to chirp and eventually fail. You could also have a worn serpentine belt tensioner - which could cause an intermittent chirp or squeak. Some sounds are very difficult to diagnose. How old is the belt, idler pulley(s) and tensioner? Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD4 View Post
To my way of thinking a chirp/squeal unchanged by by engine RPM or road speed substantially narrows the field of possibilities.

First thought is HVAC blower but you probably eliminated that right away.

I'd think same for your cooling fan - it'll run at either low or high based on engine temp or AC system pressure.

If you have ABS the pump runs at constant RPM when ignition is set to RUN/START.

I don't recall ever reading of any Vue pumps making noise - or failing for that matter.

There are three ABS fuses in the Under-hood Fuse Block - temporarily removing the 10 amp fuse disables the pump so you can see if it makes a difference.

One last thought - try pulling engine oil dipstick during chirp/squeal to see if makes a difference.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-07-2014 at 11:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WhiteC5Coupe View Post
I would bet on a worn serpentine belt and/or a worn idler pulley for the belt. I sure sounds like the pulley bearing is dry and beginning to chirp and eventually fail. You could also have a worn serpentine belt tensioner - which could cause an intermittent chirp or squeak. Some sounds are very difficult to diagnose. How old is the belt, idler pulley(s) and tensioner? Good luck.
My thoughts, as well.

Belt inspection might reveal a bit of wear to bolster the arguement to change this maintenance item and tensioner pulley.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
My thoughts, as well.

Belt inspection might reveal a bit of wear to bolster the arguement to change this maintenance item and tensioner pulley.
Did you miss the sentence saying chirp/squeal does NOT change with engine speed?

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Did you miss the sentence saying chirp/squeal does NOT change with engine speed?
Understood, logic would assume that if it is the tensioner pulley crying foul that the sound would change ........... But logic doesn't make tensioner pulleys. Sometimes they are logical- but not always.

AS it is fairly easy to inspect the belt and change if need be( belt and tensioner pulley), getting rid of it as a possible culprit is an easy decision, but not first before eliminating other easy troubleshooting ideas such as you bring up.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

If it was me repairing my vehicle I would run it until i got the constant noise and then shut it off and remove the belt. That will narrow it down quickly to an issue with the belt, idler/bearing or an accessory (like the alternator). Just start it up and run it for 10 seconds without the belt, if the sound goes away then your culprit is somewhere in those componets.

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Just had this happen on my S series. Had a slight chirp/click noise. Replaced the tensioner (figured that after 200k+ miles it gave it's all). Thought all was fine, than daughter started car while I was outside it a few days later and loud squeal. BTW did not change with engine speed. Belt was little "glazed" and since it had been through a bad tensioner I figured what the hell change it. While in there doing I happened to bump the idler pulley and noticed it wobbled a tiny bit. Spun it and it rattled and was noisy.
Ended up replacing it also as it had failed with no other clue but the occasional squeal. No whining noise nothing.
So my $$$$ for the OP is on the belt, idler, tensioner idea.
One other thought is it could be a failing AC compressor.

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD4 View Post
Fellow Vue owners, I would appreciate any assistance in locating a troubling noise in my engine compartment. I have a 2005 Vue with the 2.2L engine.

When I start the car cold, it runs quietly. After a few minutes, a chirping sound comes from the engine compartment. It is soft and occasional -- every few seconds. As time goes on it becomes louder and more frequent. After several miles is is almost a constant squeal – not a single constant note, but repeating rapidly, a few times a second, like a bearing squeaking.

I cannot locate it with a hose to my ear or with a stethoscope. I comes from under the hood; that’s all I can tell.

It does NOT vary with engine speed, in pitch or frequency, so I know it cannot be a belt. The pitch and frequency don’t seem to vary with vehicle’s travelling speed, either.

In the 1st few minutes after starting, after the noise has begun but while it is soft, it may go away when I rev the engine and / or put the car in motion. I cannot tell for sure, as the engine noise may simply be drowning it out. Once the noise has become loud, it continues whether the car is moving or not. But again, the pitch does not change with engine speed.

Was any of the information posted helpful to you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote