SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
red1
red1 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 Vue 3.0 Timing Belt Question

I like the idea of the 5/16 carriage bolts and washers used to stabilize the cam pulleys..

(tried to show the url for the pic but I don't have enough posts yet...sorry)

My question is do I need to worry about the crankshaft, other than to make sure it doesn't rotate during the belt removal and installation process? Read some posts about rotating it to a certain BTDC? Which I think means bottom top dead center?

Thanks in advance..

Milo (Nix the Burnt Orange Gm Name) colored AWD 2003 DinoMite Vue..127K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Vue 3.0 Timing Belt Question

Before Top Dead Center - BTDC

I'm not 100% certain but our 3.0L V6 engines mechanically are the same whether its an L300 or Vue. If you don't have luck finding photos in the Vue forum then search in the L-series forum for pics from various members sharing tips on the timing belt.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Found a bunch of great pics..some with different methods to keep everything stable...plastic ties..$$ tooling that traps the cam pulleys and crankshaft etc.
For the non conventional tooling methods..there doesn't seem to be any mention of the crankshaft being restrained...Pretty sure I know what to do regardless..mark belts and tension mechanism, etc..Good way to make sure everything stays set..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1 View Post
For the non conventional tooling methods..there doesn't seem to be any mention of the crankshaft being restrained...
You don't need anything - it isn't going to move.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Ok, do I need to remove the accessory belt tensioner to get the timing belt cover off?

The cover will just about clear but hangs up on that serpentine belt tensioner...left side..

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Ok, do I need to remove the accessory belt tensioner to get the timing belt cover off?
Yeah - I wound up removing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Yeah - I wound up removing it.
Ya, got it off...(and the cover) hate removing stuff on the blind...Problem I've got now is the pulley on the crank...bigger star drive than I've got..my 15mm wrench will just about fit..but all that happens is the crank turns the engine over... Might as well go into town and get the proper socket tomorrow...and I suppose I will need to figure out a way to block the crank so it doesn't turn..any suggestions?

My sincere admiration to those that have already done this and made it sound so...well easier than my experience...I've yet to figure out which of the pulleys is the one that tensions the belt...but that is what research is for...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Problem I've got now is the pulley on the crank...bigger star drive than I've got..my 15mm wrench will just about fit..but all that happens is the crank turns the engine over...
Whoa - you don't have to remove that big Torx bolt. The Pulley is held on by those 6 small bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank Mark.jpg (118.0 KB, 49 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I've yet to figure out which of the pulleys is the one that tensions the belt...
This is the Tensioner . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...5&d=1288055017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Like the waterpump pulley, the crankshaft pulley must be stuck to that hub in your pic(the small star bolts came right off)...I'll give it another go this morning..seems like the country roads (dust) really cause parts that fit over (and into) hubs like the front bearing assys, make them hard to remove..(shouldn't say this but I took a small propane torch to the water pump pulley..not much!..and it finally popped off)

Some time ago, I bought front wheel bearing/hub assys but couldn't remove the old ones. Took the car into a mechanic..said he had to remove the whole steering knuckle and put it in an arbor press...you could see the marks in the aluminum casting where he had to put a real grip on it while pressing out that hub....Interesting, I needed to remove the bearing assy due to lots of front end noise...even though these hub assy are supposed to be sealed (and the ones I took off had no play/slop what so ever), I'm convinced dust had gotten into them...once replaced..no noise..

Tempting to put the whole thing back together (timing belt parts) the one on there is pristine...maybe stretched a little but no cracks..nothing. But while I have it apart I'll try to get that crank pulley off and then get some slack by backing off the tension pulley..

Again Chazberry..thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Like the waterpump pulley, the crankshaft pulley must be stuck to that hub in your pic(the small star bolts came right off)...I'll give it another go this morning..
You might want to mark it so it goes back on the Crank Sprocket in the original orientation. Don't know if it matters, but might as well be safe.

Quote:
..seems like the country roads (dust) really cause parts that fit over (and into) hubs like the front bearing assys, make them hard to remove..
Removing the Hubs from the Knuckle is always the worst part of that job. The corrosion between the aluminum Knuckle and steel Hub makes them become one.

Quote:
Tempting to put the whole thing back together (timing belt parts) the one on there is pristine...maybe stretched a little but no cracks..nothing. But while I have it apart I'll try to get that crank pulley off and then get some slack by backing off the tension pulley.
My belt looked great at 93k, but who wants to take a chance with an interference engine? Are you changing the Tensioner and all the Idler Pulleys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Are you changing the Tensioner and all the Idler Pulleys?
No, I didn't...but I did get everything back together and it runs fine...all the pulleys were tight and so was the water pump..

Yeah, the crankshaft pulley was tough..took over a half hour to get the holes lined up..it needs to be tight against the crank hub..but getting the holes lined up with a smaller bolt as a guide and then pushing it all the way would cock the holes again..took patience..That and getting the belt on, even with the tensioner completely off was tough...took off the bottom right idler...was the easiest to put back with the belt in place..I'm sure there was an easier way..

BTW..once off, I could see cracks across the smooth side..width...all along the belt. Not severe but if you bend the belt they really stand out..so it was well worth the time..

Appreciate your help Chazberry...and all the past posts..Will put some pics up later...

And now? Into town for a late pizza lunch..;-)

Red1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
And now? Into town for a late pizza lunch..;-)
Congrats on 'mission accomplished'
Btw - what the hell kind of pizza do they have in Kansas????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Congrats on 'mission accomplished'
Btw - what the hell kind of pizza do they have in Kansas????
Eating it as we speak...$10.26; for a large...

PIzza Hut?? and no it is not as good as unos in chicago...but it tastes great!
Meat lovers...green pepper...sausage...hamburger..canadian bacon..black olives..mushrooms..

<burp>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Meat lovers...green pepper...sausage...hamburger..canadian bacon..black olives..mushrooms..

<burp>
No pineapple???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Guess which belt has 115000 miles on it?
Which part did I NOT need to take off to access the timing belt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000564.JPG (62.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1000568.JPG (79.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg P1000566.JPG (70.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1000567.JPG (73.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1000565.JPG (60.0 KB, 49 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Guess which belt has 115000 miles on it?
Which part did I NOT need to take off to access the timing belt?
My guesses . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000564a.JPG (62.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1000568a.JPG (90.2 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
red1

2003 VUE 3.0L

Correct on the belt...the air collector or whatever the correct name..leaving it on would have made accessing the other parts more difficult..

The small pulley directly under the timing belt cover? I could have left it on the accessory belt tension mechanism...lower left side, but I thought removing it would allow clearance for the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation