SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
jstephens
jstephens is on a distinguished road

Default massive oil leak

finally fixed the heat in the car and noticed now the car is leaking a massive amount of oil.. from both sides of the engine it appears.. i put a oil pan gasket and checked the oil sending unit for leaks .. the problem is there is so much oil its hard to even tell where its coming from..does anyone know what could be leaking .. intake? cam seals? by the way its a 2000 ls2 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jstephens's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jstephens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: massive oil leak

With excessive oil leaking, is this coming from any specific place? Have any degreaser you can use to wash down the engine after a drive? (helps loosen up greasy build up) Once cleaned up there will be a better assessment of new leaks against a relatively clean engine.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
jstephens

its coming from multiple places , the left and right side.. i cleaned it off and put it on the lift and cannot tell wheres it coming from because everything is so tight in there . its leaking so bad i cannot drive it ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jstephens reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

I hope for the sake of your sanity it's not the rear main. Hope mine never goes either. My front main was leaking for a little while (trauma of the timing belt change, I guess) but stopped.

You said you used a gasket, not RTV? My Haynes calls for RTV. There are seams at both left and right (oil pump and rear seal retainer) that require a little extra sealant. It sounds like it could be these that are leaking.

I am absolutely anal about RTV after botching the valve covers once on my SC. I clean surfaces with gasket scraper, a fine wire brush on a drill, and a wipe with acetone, and use only Permatex Ultra Gray.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
jstephens

my mechanic did it .. he said it was rtv.. doesnt look like its leaking from teh oil pan.. its hard to see where its leaking from with the timing belt and everything in the way.. he said he had it on the lift running and it wasnt leaking the next day i drove it and its leaking everywhere.. he said sincei got the motor from the junk yard it could of been sitting along time and the seals could of gone bad..ive never seen a car leak this much. this car is fighting me tooth and nail ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
jstephens

on the drivers side it looks like its leaking from somewhere above the radiator hose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

That high up, sounds like your best shot is to take off the intake manifold for a better look.

I've gotten very good at taking off the manifold. I bought a pair of cheap pincers from Home Depot for dealing with the Clic R hose clamps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
jstephens

i think its a combination of everything.. front seal cam seals and intake?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

I meant to take off the intake manifold for a better look at the engine. It's hard to see anything with it in place. Could be valve covers, for example.

If you haven't had your timing cover off yet for a look at the belt, now may be the time. A lot of people unload these cars around 100k to avoid the maintenance.

Gates makes a very nice timing belt kit with idlers, tensioner, and crank and cam oil seals. I bought from Rockauto, but later saw a better price on Amazon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
jstephens

before we put the motor in i had him replace the timing belt just i wouldnt have to deal with it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
jstephens

whats the easiest way to take the intake off, i plan on taking it off in the next couple days and im going to take some pics

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

A manual is indispensable for this kind of thing. A shortcut I found from the Haynes instructions was that I could have left the rear runners in place for everything I wanted to do (oil cooler and plugs).

There is also no need to remove the air filter box. Removing the cover is enough unless you are going to crack the timing cover or want to see more of the engine.

There is no need to remove the throttle body, which would be a natural inclination if doing the job without a manual. Also, the only disconnections for EGR are the electrical plug and the big nut for the EGR pipe.

If you are leaving the rear runners on, release the inboard front and outboard rear runner clamps. No need to undo all. If I were removing everything, I would release all the inboard clamps.

If removing the rear runners, watch out for the power steering booster vacuum hose. I broke mine thinking I could just pull it off the manifold. There is a connection with a nut. I also unplugged and removed my PCM and TCM. Could have unplugged OR removed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
jstephens

what about the fuel lines .. looks like there needs to be a tool to get them off? i thought the throttle body and air plenum all came off as one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Yes, the throttle body stays attached to the upper manifold. Fuel lines will stay connected to the fuel rail.

Thirty bucks for a manual would be well spent, or you could subscribe to Alldata.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
jstephens

yea it would!! do you have or does anyone have a break down of the motor like the heating diagrham?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
jstephens

heres some pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.09.59.jpg (99.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.10.42.jpg (96.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.11.01.jpg (100.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.11.20.jpg (98.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.12.44.jpg (97.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.12.53.jpg (99.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-22 17.13.09.jpg (97.6 KB, 27 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

I don't have anything that shows the intake and other stuff on top of the engine in any detail. Hey, I checked the online catalog at the local public library and found that they have the Haynes manual. Maybe yours does, too? The title is 'Saturn L-series'.

On the driver's side, you'll see two metal pipes going under the coolant crossover housing. These are oil feed and return lines for the oil cooler. It appears that these may be leaking at the oil cooler cover. There are crush washers that should not be re-used that perhaps were if someone got into the oil cooler.

On the passenger side, it looks like the oil pan seal is bad. Unless I missed something, all the oil is down low on the engine. There is oil pooled under the A/C compressor, which is wild. I have a sometimes-leaking main seal, and it just drips oil behind the crankshaft pulley. Period.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
jstephens

if you look you can see oil through the pully by timing belt..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Triton07
Triton07 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your pictures show oil high on the engine and directly behind the power steering pump which would lead me to believe the power steering pump seal is gone. When this seal leaks it will sling oil all the way back to the fire wall and collect on the plastic splash guard attached to the frame below. It always looks a little worse than it is. Checking the fluid level would verify that you are loosing oil in that system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Triton07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Triton07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Triton07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
PeteB
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

I believe it's possible for oil from the oil cooler lines to drip over the top of the water pump. If you have oil inside the timing cover, then you need to inspect the timing belt for oil contamination. It doesn't look like all the oil on the passenger side is coming from up there, but maybe it is.

I think I misspoke earlier about the rear runners not having to come off in order to remove the lower intake manifold. I had to remove the upper IM because of a FI leak (Tip: test FI for leaks by powering on fuel pump before installing upper manifold), and that is what I'm remembering, that I could get to the fuel rail without removing the rear runners.

If you need oil cooler seals, you can buy at partsgeek.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!