SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
FrenchChoc
FrenchChoc is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default 2002 Sc2 Alternator Repaired, Still having Problems

I've had my 2002 SC2 since 2005. No real problems and do basic maintenance. So when the battery light wouldn't go off I panicked. AAA said it wasn't my AAA battery, so alternator. I took it to my local mechanic, he replaced. Two weeks later it wouldn't start. After a pow wow with mechanic, now I'm having to click my car door opener 2 to 4 times, wait then it starts. WHAT is this. And why did it start now. Appreciate you schooling me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrenchChoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrenchChoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrenchChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 2002 Sc2 Alternator Repaired, Still having Problems

security light maybe..?

and define no start. is it cranking but not starting or no-crank no-start?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
FrenchChoc

2002 SC2

Its making a striping sound as if the starter is going out. Now I've found if I keep the key in off position,press the unlock button once, twice, three times, it starts. But had car for 7 years. Why now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FrenchChoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The battery light and alternator are one issue. Starting is another issue.

How miles on this car? It has a bearing on whether the starter is worn out or not. Starters can wear out at any time, from around 70k to 250k miles, depending on how the car is used. Short trips would show less mileage while all highway driving would show more mileage. The number of times a starter is used every day also goes into calculating when its expected to fail.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
FrenchChoc

2002 SC2

It has about 114K miles. Not much highway miles. Mostly city. I start it 4 times a day, 3-4 times a week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Multiple starts many days with short trips is one way to premature starter failure. This may be an early indication of a worn out starter as no one can tell you when a starter fails. There are no perfect calculations to determine when starters fail, only symptoms.

Most symptoms to determine starter failure includes number of times a starter used per day, state of health (whether the engine starts immediately or requires several seconds of starter time, a combination of mileage/age, and whether the starter is original or not. Starters are last in a list of things to consider first; battery condition, battery cables and their connections, and any other issues not mentioned that can have a direct or indirect bearing on whether or not a starter will run. With all things considered (battery less than 4yrs old, battery cables clean and free of corrosion, connections are tight, and the alternator is working normally, a worn out starter will begin to announce itself in various ways; the infamous 'clicking' with the ignition switch turned to the START position, no clicking sounds, all lights working normally, random starting/not starting, slow starter, etc.. The suggestion of any failed starter would be to try banging the starter body a few times with a piece of 2x4 lumber may help. A starter working cold but not working after stopping for gas or groceries (warmed engine) is another indication of a worn out starter.

The best method requires electrical troubleshooting right at the starter terminals and repeated many times here; measuring for 12v on a disconnected purple wire from the starter solenoid when the ignition switch is turned to the START position.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
FrenchChoc

2002 SC2

Thanks everybody, I went to Jamaica and my family wouldnt let me bring laptop or Black Berry. Im kinda hooked. So im back and ready to try these remedies on my 3-door baby. Thanks ever so much, here I go. Will keep you up on this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
FrenchChoc

2002 SC2

I have gone to Reiley's: battery good, starter good, new alternator good, batteries in key fob changed so good, he wouldnt do the 12v remedy, so going to a friend I know today. Making slow but steady progress. thank the stars it still starts when i go thru the ritual click three, count to 10 it starts. But cant believe she's not getting hurt in some way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!