SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
tommyt
tommyt is a jewel in the roughtommyt is a jewel in the roughtommyt is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
Default B&G Lowering Springs?

Has anyone used B&G lowering springs or know anything about them? I found them for about 30 bucks cheaper than the eibachs and they lower the car more, about 1.5 to 1.75 inch. The eibachs lower the car about 1.3" frt and 1.1" rear. I want a low spring rate (like stock) because I don't want a real rough ride. The eibachs do that nicely at 149 lb/in frt and 159 lb/in rear. I would like to know how the ride quality is with those springs. Thanks for any info you may have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tommyt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tommyt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: B&G Lowering Springs?

No spring rate info on 'em anywhere other then stating its progressive. Probably a mix of Ebach's & ST's, both of which are rather soft. I had H&R Sports, they were awesome.
Quote:
Spring Rates:
OEM Springs: ............................ 126 lb/in Front, 129 lb/in Rear
H&R Race (1.4"F, 1.3"R):.............. 310 lb/in Front, 250 lb/in Rear
H&R Sport (1.4"F, 1.3"R):............. 205 lb/in Front, 195 lb/in Rear
Eibach Pro Kit (1.3"F, 1.1"R):........ 149 lb/in Front, 91-159 lb/in Rear
Progress Group (1.8"):................. 200 lb/in Front, 170 lb/in Rear
Progress Group (1.3"):................. 156 lb/in Front, 150 lb/in Rear
Sprint (2.0"):............................. 200 lb/in Front, 140 lb/in Rear
Sprint Extreme(2.5"): .................. 200 lb/in Front, 140 lb/in Rear
Suspension Techniques (1.4"):...... 157 lb/in Front, 109-155 lb/in Rear
Quote:
Best Performance:
1. H&R Race
2. H&R Sport
3. Progress
4. Sprint 2.0
5. Eibach
6. Sprint Extreme
Most Comfortable:
1. Eibach
2. Progress
3. Sprint 2.0
4. H&R Sport
5. Sprint Extreme
6. H&R Race

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
tommyt
tommyt is a jewel in the roughtommyt is a jewel in the roughtommyt is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned the H&R Sports were awesome. How was the ride comfort? I don't really need better handling. I have stiff tires that give me excellent handling. I already tried cutting some coils out to lower the car but the ride quality was lousy. I could feel every bump or crack in the road. The springs became too stiff. The handling was really good, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tommyt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

I have a set of B&G's on my car right now. Other than the Eibach, those were the only ones that I could actually find. Most websites that offer product don't actually have them anymore, which I found out when calling around. I also found a post specifically about the B&G spring rates on 6th sphere which I can't find right now, but I remember that the front / back were somewhere around 150lbs or so, which stiffer than stock and good for daily driving, but not necessarily stiff enough for autocrossing. These springs provide a nice drop and also handle extremely well with the new tie-rod ends, control arms, and KYB-GR2's I just put on. I can take most turns 15+ MPH over the posted limit without feeling out of control, here on the crazy roads. The ride is stiff, but not so horribly much that every bump feels like your car is going to break. I would highly recommend them. I included an image of how much it will drop your car. The wheels that I have on the car in this picture have tires that are slightly too small, so this drops the car about another 1/2 inch, so just account for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2881crop.jpg (184.8 KB, 184 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
tommyt

1996 SC2

My B & G springs finally showed up (along with my KYB struts). It took 1.5 months so beware. They were made overseas (not sure if it was China or not). Anyways the do look nice and they do fit the struts well. They are progressive in the rear (extra coils closer together) but the fronts don't appear to be progressive. They do have 1 or 2 more coils than stock springs. My wheel gap is reduced (looks real nice and equal all around the tire). The front is about 0.5" lower than the rear, but it looks good. The handling is really awesome. The springs are stiff when you try to push down on the car but, surprisingly, I don't feel every little bump in the road. They don't feel overly stiff when driving but there is very little body roll. I can take corners faster now without any uneasiness. When I cut my springs, I got a nice drop, but the handling became too stiff. This setup is much better. The new struts help a lot. My back struts were about 16 years old! They were quite rusty and didn't have a whole lot of dampening left in them.

The problem I had when I cut my springs was that I could feel a little bit of a vibration when accelerating. I did notice a little bit of that this time, but it is much less noticeable. I am guessing my CV joints will need to be replaced soon. They are also about 16 years old. Hopefully my CV joints don't get torn up with this drop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
tommyt

1996 SC2

The vibration I am feeling during acceleration is getting annoying. Has anyone had that issue when lowering your car? It feels like the cv shaft is shaking up and down but it only happens during acceleration. I wonder if its from the angle of the cv shaft? It angles up now instead of down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Never noticed a vibration with H&R Sports, though the amount they lower the car is much less. Sixthsphere people mention a vibration at 20-30mph with springs that go lower then the Sports, maybe it was just the Sprint's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Chub

1995 SC2

I've been running my B&G springs for about 5 months now and I have not noticed any vibrations when accelerating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
tommyt

1996 SC2

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get it aligned and see if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Chub

1995 SC2

For a complete suspension overhaul like this, an alignment is definitely a must and unaligned wheels are probably a large part of your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
tommyt

1996 SC2

I just got my alignment done. It was way off. Even the rear. The vibration while accelerating is still noticeable but it is much less than before. I guess the angle is the problem. The next thing to do would be to replace one or both the cv shafts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
I just got my alignment done. It was way off. Even the rear. The vibration while accelerating is still noticeable but it is much less than before. I guess the angle is the problem. The next thing to do would be to replace one or both the cv shafts.
Could also be one or all of your 3 motor mounts. The engine could be rocking back when you're accelerating and causing vibration to transfer inside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
tommyt

1996 SC2

Good point. I will check those first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
roccojrf
roccojrf is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

Where do you guys find these springs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roccojrf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roccojrf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roccojrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
Chub

1995 SC2

I got mine on amazon because it was the only place that still had some. I got the last set this summer and they haven't gotten any more since but here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Suspension-Sys...wering+springs Truthfully, I only got the B&G springs because I couldn't find Eibach's anywhere. I called at least 10 places and everyone advertises having them on their website, but when you call and ask if they actually have it they usually don't. Probably the best place you could get some of these springs now would be to get them used from sixthsphere. The little s-series saturn performance aftermarket that existed is pretty much gone now, sadly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #16
tommyt

1996 SC2

I got mine from Sparktec motorsports. They were $180. The drop is around 1.75". I also found them at Andy's autosport, newlevel motorsports, rsa performance, th motorsports, autoplicity, and grip motorsports. Sparktec had the best price. I got the KYB struts from eBay but tirerack has them to. The Canuck motorsports springs can be bought through eBay for $150.

I didn't check every place listed above to see if they actually sell the springs they have listed but again, the price was best at Sparktec if u don't mind waiting for over a month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #17
roccojrf
roccojrf is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1

You guys are so very helpful, thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to roccojrf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help roccojrf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
roccojrf is offline   Reply With Quote