SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
danf51
danf51 is on a distinguished road

Default Cylinder Misfire Again

A month and a half ago, after dealing with the service engine light on for awhile, and the engine missing a lot, I took it to a reputable non-dealer mechanic. The first time anyone but the dealer (well the chain of dealers since the Saturn dealer is obviously not there anymore).

He replaced the 6 spark plugs on my 2001 LW300 with 150K miles (they'd been changed at 95K by the dealer). That seemed to fix everything.

Over the weekend, I had the oil changed at the dealer (lifetime oil change) and later that morning, going up a hill, the service engine light came on again, and since then, the car has been running increasingly poorly. I have an appt. with this same mechanic in the morning to have him put it on the scope and see what's the matter this time. I am of the mind that if it is plugs again, he owes me something from the last time he did it.

The brief inspection performed at the time of the oil change turned up no recommendations.

I cannot think of anything an oil change could do that would cause this.

Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danf51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danf51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cylinder Misfire Again

Damaged catalytic converter? There are two pre-cats, one for each cylinder bank and the main one before the resonator and muffler. Banging the catcon with your hand and hearing loose catguts indicates a damaged/worn out catcon. The pre-cats have to be inspected visually by disconnecting the exhaust system to check for disintegrating catguts. Blockage any where results in uneven loss of power and a host of irregular issues. Good muffler shops can find damaged ones.

An alternate method would be removing both exhaust manifold O2 sensors for a LOUD drive, as long as the exhaust blast doesn't blow heated exhaust into anything that will melt. A short drive should tell you whether engine power returns or not. This alternate exhaust path bypasses the main catcon.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

The improvement upon changing plugs leads me to think of oil-burning issues, which could foul the cat as well.

Any evidence of burning oil? Could try a cylinder leak-down test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
danf51

Well I took it back to the original (well-regarded) mechanic that replaced the plugs last time and the computer said merely "cylinder misfire indicated: cylinder #1 misfire."

So he said he is going to look at the injectors, ooils, , and other stuff. If there was oil burning, it should have showed when we changed the plugs last time, and he should have found it, but hopefully he'll find something again. It's at his shop right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help danf51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
danf51

Happy Re: Cylinder Misfire Again

Well the guy replaced the back ignition coil and that did the trick. Runs very well now. At this garage, they were puzzling over the fact that the coil they removed was made in Germany. I informed them of that the L-series cars have Opel in there genes, some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!