SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
SalemCat
SalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the rough

Default SW2 Trailing Arm - Bolt Size ?

My 1995 SW2 had the Left Trailing Arm snap directly forward of the Rubber Bushing in the rear.

Trailing Arm 21011869 $53.25
Bushing 21011131 $10.19

Plus S&H from SaturnParts.Net

It looks like a pretty easy job (see SalemCat's Photos), but I'm anticipating much trouble with thoroughly rusted hardware.

I've hit the nut & bolts with PB Blaster, hammered them a bit, and plan to blast them again with PB and an Air Chisel in an attempt to get the Blaster deep into the threads.

The Trailing Arm comes with a new Hex Nut, 21mm Wrench Size, but does not come with new Bolts up front. I want to use new Bolts, well-lubricated with Aluminum Anti-Seize.

I'm told the Bolts are M12-1.75, but don't know the length. I'm guessing they should be M12-1.75 X 25mm Flange Head Bolts, Yellow Zinc Plated, Class 8.8 or 10.9, 16mm Wrench Size. Can anyone confirm this, and recommend a source ?

(Yes, I could measure them after I remove them, but I'd rather have New Bolts already on hand when I do the job)

Last edited by SalemCat; 06-13-2012 at 01:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
Default Re: SW2 Trailing Arm - Bolt Size ?

All I can confirm is that I can send you a used pair if you want 'em.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
00SW2
00SW2 is on a distinguished road

It looks like SaturnParts.Net carries the bolts. Part # 21012152.

I was unable to find their length but can confirm that they are listed as M12 -1.75 on a couple parts sites.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 00SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 00SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
00SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
dorn27
dorn27 is on a distinguished road

How did this go? I have to confirm I have access to equipment, then I'm order the parts to tackle mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorn27's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorn27 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
LastSaturn
LastSaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorn27 View Post
How did this go? I have to confirm I have access to equipment, then I'm order the parts to tackle mine.
dorn27, I saw your post on this topic. There's no substantial equipment to replacing the trailing arm. All you need is a ratchet and a couple sockets.

=======
2002 SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
dorn27
dorn27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSaturn View Post
dorn27, I saw your post on this topic. There's no substantial equipment to replacing the trailing arm. All you need is a ratchet and a couple sockets.
My bolts are seriously rusty and I don't have ramps, so by equipment I mean I have to find someone's impact wrench and ramps to borrow.

Husband services his moped in general and wants an impact wrench anyway, so we'll probably just buy one. Can get an electric one to suit our small needs for $50 around here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorn27's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorn27 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
SalemCat
SalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the roughSalemCat is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
My bolts are seriously rusty and I don't have ramps, so by equipment I mean I have to find someone's impact wrench and ramps to borrow.

Husband services his moped in general and wants an impact wrench anyway, so we'll probably just buy one. Can get an electric one to suit our small needs for $50 around here.
Pay attention to the Maximum Torque of that Electric Impact Wrench. It may not have sufficient torque. The Electric Impact Wrench at Harbor Freight provides 230 ft lbs max, which is not a lot. I used this Impact Wrench http://www.harborfreight.com/12-prof...nch-68424.html. It is $74.99 with a coupon (can be found in most car magazines) and provides 700 ft lbs max.

You'll need an Air Compressor. Get a large upright model (about $200). Yes, it seems like a lot of money, but you'll be surprised how handy an Air Compressor can be - for running tools and for blasting items clean with air.

I avoid ramps whenever possible. It takes a while to get them positioned properly, and I'm always concerned I'll overshoot the top. I find a Floor Jack quicker and easier. I usually place some 4X4 or 6X6 lumber underneath for safety. Never, ever crawl under a vehicle supported by a Floor Jack alone. And watch out for the cheap sheet metal Jack Stands. I had one collapse and I nearly lost my legs.

I replaced the Trailing Arm last Saturday. The front bolts came out easy with an Impact Wrench, but I had to cut the rear nut off with an Air Cut Off Wheel from Harbor Freight (about $10).

The rear nut is 21mm, and is generally included with the new Trailing Arm.

The original front bolts are M12-1.75X40mm. They are special. First of all, they have a heavy fender washer under the head, which is captive. Second, they are threaded for 30mm, and the final 10mm is not threaded. This 10mm section is at the end away from the head, and acts as a pilot to help install the bolt.

Also, the original bolts are Class 10.9. Do not attempt to substitute cheaper Class 8.8 bolts. Class 8.8 will not be strong enough.

I bought M12-1.75X40 bolts at Advance. They had them behind the counter. They were Yellow Zinc Plated, which resists rust better than Clear or Silver Zinc. They were Class 10.9, as they should be. They have a 16mm Socket size.

Although the original bolts were very rusty, I was able to reuse the extra thick Fender Washers, although I had to cut the bolts to get them off. Then I had to open up the holes in the washers with a Tapered Hand Reamer ($15 at Home Depot, Sears, etc). The holes needed to be opened up just a slight amount before they fit on the new bolts nicely. Hold the washer with a visegrip and this is an easy job.

Finally I used plenty of Aluminum Anti-Sieze Grease, and assembled everything.

I'm back on the road !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SW2 View Post
It looks like SaturnParts.Net carries the bolts. Part # 21012152.

I was unable to find their length but can confirm that they are listed as M12 -1.75 on a couple parts sites.

Good luck!
Thanks !

OEM Bolts would be best. I bought my Trailing Arm from SaturnParts.Net, and emailed them to include bolts and bill me for them. They forgot.

So to get the bolts at that point I would have had to place another order, pay S&H again, and wait another few days. It was quicker to head over to Advance.

When the Trailing Arm on the right side fails, I'll make sure to order Part # 21012152 as you suggest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
SalemCat

On other posts many have suggested buying Trailing Arms from Scrap Yards.

As I believe they fail more from rust due to age than from mileage, I am sceptical of that advice.

Anyhow, since my local yard takes the wheels off most cars are sitting in the mud, and recovery would be very difficult.

I'd have to use hand tools exclusively as well.

Add to the fact they quote me crazy prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCat View Post
I avoid ramps whenever possible. It takes a while to get them positioned properly, and I'm always concerned I'll overshoot the top. I find a Floor Jack quicker and easier. I usually place some 4X4 or 6X6 lumber underneath for safety. Never, ever crawl under a vehicle supported by a Floor Jack alone. And watch out for the cheap sheet metal Jack Stands. I had one collapse and I nearly lost my legs.
Everyone's setup is different. I have to drag a floor jack up out of the basement (and it's at least 50 lb) and across a dirt/gravel driveway, and with the driveway right next to the house, there's not much room for the jack handle on one side at least. My ramps are old-school one-piece steel, can be stored outside so they're always right there, and with 25-plus years of use, with everything from an '80s Civic to a 6000-lb diesel truck, I've never overshot them. People on smooth paved driveways may prefer stands, since ramps can slide on the smooth pavement. All depends on your circumstances.

To the OP - for rusty bolts, whatever tool you use, START with a generous dose of PB-Blaster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Everyone's setup is different. I have to drag a floor jack up out of the basement (and it's at least 50 lb) and across a dirt/gravel driveway, and with the driveway right next to the house, there's not much room for the jack handle on one side at least. My ramps are old-school one-piece steel, can be stored outside so they're always right there, and with 25-plus years of use, with everything from an '80s Civic to a 6000-lb diesel truck, I've never overshot them. People on smooth paved driveways may prefer stands, since ramps can slide on the smooth pavement. All depends on your circumstances.

To the OP - for rusty bolts, whatever tool you use, START with a generous dose of PB-Blaster.
Ramps are handy, no doubt. I use them primarily for Exhaust work.

My Floor Jack is a 30+ year-old steel Viking. Very heavy, but since I only have to roll it in and out of my garage - no problem.

If you're looking for a very light Floor Jack, check this out:

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...1&keycode=1002

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Two of our vehicles are 6000+ lb; a 1.5 ton jack would be just short of sufficient to jack up the whole front end at once.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
SalemCat

Quote:
Two of our vehicles are 6000+ lb; a 1.5 ton jack would be just short of sufficient to jack up the whole front end at once.
That's for sure !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
SalemCat

Quote:
I know nothing about 6000+ lb vehicles, and don't pretend to.

But I do know something about amateurs fixing their ancient Saturns, and I'm hoping to save our friend DORN27 some frustration.

If DORN27 can be convinced to spend $300 on appropriate tools, I know they'll save a fortune in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
SalemCat

Quote:

You guys seriously need to check out the offerings at Harbor Freight.

Spend about $300 on some serious tools, and if your husband has some brains and time, you'll save $$$, and probably do a superior job as well.

RICHPIN06A has amazing videos on YouTube, and a subscription to AllDataDIY.com will help as well.

If you buy parts through FatWallet.com, you'll see that 10% Rebates from Advance Auto are a common event.

Times have never been better for a clever DIY than they are now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
SalemCat

If you ar looking to buy proper bolts for the front of a Trailing Arm, the Advance Auto Part is:

CLS 10.9 HX HD C/SCRW
M12-1.75X40MM
UPC 0803581504459

QTY 1 per package

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2037____

The stock illustration on the Advance Web Site does not match the actual bolt. The actual bolt is Yellow Zinc Plated (good), and is fully threaded its entire length (good).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
10% Rebates from Advance Auto are a common event.

Crazy!

I save 40% at AAPs website by typing in a coupon code and picking up in-store

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
Crazy!

I save 40% at AAPs website by typing in a coupon code and picking up in-store
Yes, absolutely.

The 10% or even 12% is the FW Cash Back.

The Coupons, as you have mentioned, are also generous.

You do have to be careful. Sometimes, even after all the discounts, RockAuto can be cheaper. Not often, though.

And for parts like these bolts, the search function on Advance Auto is really terrible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I have 4 used trailing arms in good shape - no rust, if anyone needs them. I only have a couple of the front bolts too, the ones that mount to the frame

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
SalemCat

Quote:
If you ar looking to buy proper bolts for the front of a Trailing Arm, the Advance Auto Part is:

CLS 10.9 HX HD C/SCRW
M12-1.75X40MM
UPC 0803581504459

QTY 1 per package

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2037____

The stock illustration on the Advance Web Site does not match the actual bolt. The actual bolt is Yellow Zinc Plated (good), and is fully threaded its entire length (good).
These Bolts from Advance have a 19mm Socket Size. The OEM Bolts have a 18mm Socket Size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!