SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Bertillion

Question Radio Installation Kit?

Is the Radio Installation Kit for the ION the same as the 00-02 S-series? I think the radios are the same or very similar in both models. My factory CD-player is good but it skips and doesn't read cd's that may be a little dirty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2003, 10:49 AM   #2
zborgerd
zborgerd is on a distinguished road

The factory player seems to have a problem with cold CDs. Other than that, mine hasn't skipped since it has warmed up. Could that be your problem?

I'm lead to believe that the wiring harness for the ION is not the same as the S-Series. Some reports have been that people have had problems with them, but we've not seen any responses after that.

If you intend to change it, make sure that you have a multimeter available to make sure that you get the 12V power wires to the right plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zborgerd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have an Ion-3, factory radio. I don't notice CDs skipping, but I *have* noticed that the receiver is rather weak. I am getting static at certain points on the freeway when I didn't get static in my old car. Has anyone else noticed this yet? (Just in case, I am referring to regular FM radio static which was non-existant before.)

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
zborgerd

No static problems here. Maybe it's crossover from other cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zborgerd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
lewis/nj
lewis/nj is on a distinguished road

While on the surface the radios from 2000-2003 appear the same there definately has been IMO a fall off in the tuner section. The tuner in my 2002 L pulls in stations less well than the 2000 radio did. Luckily nether seems to have a cd skip problem.

More decontenting (i.e. less strong audio equipment)? The L has been racked by decontenting the last couple of years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewis/nj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewis/nj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:12 AM   #6
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

The harness on the ION 3 should be the same as the previous generation S-Series(this harness is pretty much a gm standard). I believe the ION uses the class 2 data system which is the same as my car which uses the exact same harness that my 2001 SC2 did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #7
Kuiawa3
Kuiawa3 is on a distinguished road

Happy

I too noticed the reciever that come in the ION is a little weak. And I have had it skip a few times within the 1st week I owned my ION.

It's better now w/an after market radio! I even like the ergonomics of the after market radio better too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kuiawa3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kuiawa3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2003, 11:37 AM   #8
Bertillion

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuiawa3
I too noticed the reciever that come in the ION is a little weak. And I have had it skip a few times within the 1st week I owned my ION.

It's better now w/an after market radio! I even like the ergonomics of the after market radio better too.
Did you do this yourself or did you get someone else to do it for you? I like to do things myself when I can. I just need the right parts to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #9
Kuiawa3
Kuiawa3 is on a distinguished road

Happy

I had some one else put it in but all it was was a dash kit and wire harness for the head unit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kuiawa3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kuiawa3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:17 PM   #10
PEneoark
PEneoark is on a distinguished road

the harnesses from the saturns a few years ago will not work. i bought one figuring that it would work, but it didnt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PEneoark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PEneoark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:49 PM   #11
Dan Pressly
Dan Pressly is on a distinguished road

Sonata

My fm reception is weaker, just as you described. Also, my CD does skip, even when warm.

dan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan Pressly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan Pressly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2003, 11:14 PM   #12
Bertillion

Guess I will have to wait for someone to manufature a good one for the ION. Until then...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 AM   #13
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Go back and have them replace the radio at the dealership, unless you plan on having an aftermarket put in.

I also noticed the radio does not seem to pull in signals as good as my old SL2. The 6-disk changer skipped one time so far and seems fine so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 AM   #14
jinjimbob
jinjimbob is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wow, more people with skipping Cd players, seems very common. Our ION's skips too, when its any temp in SoCal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jinjimbob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jinjimbob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2003, 01:09 AM   #15
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

On my SL2 the stereo was always the stock one with a tape player. It worked fine the entire time I had it for 10 years and people were always amazed that it still worked for that long. I really, really ran tapes throught that thing and made mix tapes for many years before CD's and mp3's took over.

I have had Sony, Panasonic, Aiwa, and other players that were never used as hard as the one in the SL2 and they all broke in less than 4 years. I guess it is all luck of the draw and build quality in certain models in certain years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:44 PM   #16
benpatient
benpatient is on a distinguished road

i've also had CD skips on occasion. it seems to be particular CDs, though. Now let me say that of the ones that i've noticed skipping, they were all relatively new, and two came straight from the unopened CD case and were put in the car CD player from the store. they are not scratched at all, and they dont' skip in any other sort of CD player, so i know it isn't the disc. I have an old vertical-feed cd tray player that skips with the slightest provocation, and it doesn't skip on these discs. usually i have to hit a bump for the ION to skip, but it only does it very very randomly. sometimes it will do it 3-5 times in a row, and then not at all for a week or more.

very inconsistent, and nothing that the dealership will be able to duplicate. as it seems, it's nothing that replacing the unit will repair, as others are having the same problem...

should we all get together and figure out a way to make saturn replace our CD players?

point of clarification, i have the CD player that also has the cassette. i have advanced audio. i do not have 6-disc changer.

others?

i bought a cheapo jensen cd player for my SL a few years ago and it never skipped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benpatient's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benpatient reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:07 PM   #17
zborgerd

Default Cd Skips...

Today, a CDR skipped. But it should be known that this same brand (pressing) of generic CDR would *not* play in my Aiwa player. It would skip all the time. This is the first that I'lve heard this CDR skip. Other than that, I have heard my regular CDs skip, but only when it was really cold outside.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread