SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
rcw3586
rcw3586 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SL
Default Coasting RPM?

My brand new (to me) 93 SL2 with auto transmission and 84K miles runs like it just came off the showroom floor after replacing all the cam timing parts.
But it doesn't get very good mpg - 29-31.
I've noticed that it doesn't coast to a stop at traffic lights and requires significant braking effort to get it to stop. It just wants to keep going with my foot off the gas.
Recently I tried shifting to neutral as I removed my foot from the gas while coasting to a stop. Surprise! The engine RPM stays up at 1500 while coasting right up until the car comes to a dead stop when it drops down to normal 7-800 range. No wonder it won't slow down! Is this normal behavior?
I don't get any error codes set.
I'm anxious to know if others experience the same behavior with this DOHC/auto combination.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rcw3586's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rcw3586 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rcw3586 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Coasting RPM?

Your car is rated at 26/36mpg Your 29-31 mpg is well within range.

Your transmission is working perfectly, Saturn's automatic transmission is programed like your described. Shifter in neutral is really not going to save your any mpg.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I'm not sure on the Gen-I but that sure sounds like how a Gen-II behaves when the IAC is gummed up? If the same, it surely couldn't hurt anything to pull the TB and thoroughly clean it.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Clean the IAC valve (search). It's normal for the rpm to be up when the car is moving, in neutral, but IIRC, it's normally more like 1300 rpm.

You should also check the ECTS and thermostat (search); those are the most common causes of bad mileage (although yours really isn't that bad, depending on your driving style). If it's 100% highway and you set the cruise control at 55, you should be able to get nearly 40mpg, but at higher speeds, or with stop-and-go driving, 29-31mpg isn't bad at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is nothing wrong with your car. It is not broke, so don't try and fix it. They are programmed to hold 1400-1500 RPM until you stop or the RPM drops low enough while rolling. Leave the car in drive and let auto do its job. Once you have some drive time with the car you will be able to find out here what needs to be changed or adjusted. You will not be getting many codes with a gen-1 even when something is actually wrong.

http://saturnwiki.net/index.php/PCM_..._Trouble_Codes
http://saturnwiki.net/index.php/PCM_..._Trouble_Codes

Right now I would bet that the transmission fluid is due and so is the coolant. Use only a Universal Dexron/Mercon ATF or a full Synthetic ATF such as Mobil-1 and a WIX or Baldwin filter, NAPA sells WIX under their house brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Thank you all once again for your helpful responses. I used advice from most of you to diagnose and repair the cam chain problem and that came out perfectly.
I've driven the car now about 1500 miles and the best mpg I've gotten was on a 200 mi /60 mph highway trip where I got 32mpg. I'm a very conservative driver and regularly get 40+mpg in my 94 SL w/233k. So I expected better from this vehicle.
I don't think it will hurt to clean the IAC valve so I may try that if it's not too invasive. There is nothing intermittent about this behavior. It does the same thing every time. The PCM is definitely in control.
I was not intending to regularly coast in Neutral as a fuel saving measure - I was just using this method as a test. I do wonder why it is programmed to behave this way if anyone knows. The 94 SL SOHC/MT does not. Coasting with the MT in N results in normal idle RPM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rcw3586 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
dbsanfte
dbsanfte is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Coasting for me with my standard results in an ~1100RPM idle while the wheels are rolling, followed by a drop to 850 when I'm stopped. That's how these cars are programmed. Watch carefully next time you're out driving and you'll see the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbsanfte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbsanfte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Remove the entire throttle body and clean it correctly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE Replace the gasket also. Have you replaced the ECTS and checked the 2 wires back to the main loom for splices? If you find any splices cut them out and properly solder and shrink tube them. It is possible that you have a vacuum leak or other misadjustment. When you first start the car where does the idle first settle at? What is the normal hot idle RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcw3586 View Post
Thank you all once again for your helpful responses. I used advice from most of you to diagnose and repair the cam chain problem and that came out perfectly.
I've driven the car now about 1500 miles and the best mpg I've gotten was on a 200 mi /60 mph highway trip where I got 32mpg. I'm a very conservative driver and regularly get 40+mpg in my 94 SL w/233k. So I expected better from this vehicle.
I don't think it will hurt to clean the IAC valve so I may try that if it's not too invasive. There is nothing intermittent about this behavior. It does the same thing every time. The PCM is definitely in control.
I was not intending to regularly coast in Neutral as a fuel saving measure - I was just using this method as a test. I do wonder why it is programmed to behave this way if anyone knows. The 94 SL SOHC/MT does not. Coasting with the MT in N results in normal idle RPM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsanfte View Post
Coasting for me with my standard results in an ~1100RPM idle while the wheels are rolling, followed by a drop to 850 when I'm stopped. That's how these cars are programmed. Watch carefully next time you're out driving and you'll see the same.
Mine is similar, with a couple of speed points slightly lowering the RPM as the speed drops. I haven't watched in a while, but I think at somewhere around 35 MPH there is a slight RPM dip, and then at almost stopped it finally settles down to idle revs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

It took me a couple of days to gather some more idle RPM data from my two cars to confirm your comments.
I found:

93 SL2 DOHC/Auto:
Cold start RPM in neutral ~1500
Warm RPM in neutral ~800
Coasting RPM in neutral ~1500. This might drop subtly as speed gets very low and drops to 800 when at a complete stop.

94 SL SOHC/Manual:
Cold start RPM in neutral ~1500
Warm RPM in neutral ~700
Coasting RPM in neutral ~900. This also may drop subtly as speed gets very low and drops to 700 when at a complete stop.

This data comes from the individual car's tachs which is probably very good but hard to interpret at low RPM. The first tic mark is labeled "0" but the space between that and the second mark is only about 1/8" (which I assume is 500 RPM). All the rest of the tic marks are uniformly spaced about 1/2" apart, each representing a 500 RPM increment.
I guess readings below 500 RPM are neither meaningful nor possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those are not out of line numbers. They are also not adjustable. If that initial ~1500 RPM start rapidly decreases to the ~1100 - 1300 RPM range then that is how it is programmed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
My brand new (to me) 93 SL2 with auto transmission and 84K miles runs like it just came off the showroom floor .......
I've noticed that it doesn't coast to a stop at traffic lights and requires significant braking effort to get it to stop. It just wants to keep going with my foot off the gas....... it won't slow down! Is this normal behavior?
There is something wrong with this when you can't coast down normally. The coasting idle rpm shouldn't be 1500 rpm at all and having to brake to slow down seems to be missed by a few here.

Quote:
....... I do wonder why it is programmed to behave this way if anyone knows. The 94 SL SOHC/MT does not....
Although your numbers seem perfect, there may be two items missed if not replaced; the original OEM plastic round nosed plastic coolant sensor and thermostat. Were they replaced?

Coasting from speed, whether using a manual or auto, causes the EFI system to do two things; at speed when throttle is closed the EFI system runs a short program, deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO) that basically shuts off the injectors immediately until rpm's drop down to around 1200 then resumes fuel injection. When fuel injection resumes, the rpm should be around 1200 while still coasting to maintain converter temperatures otherwise shutting off injectors until coming to a stop will cool off the O2 sensor and cause the closed loop operating mode to revert back to (cold engine) open loop mode that would cause more pollution. Keeping the rpm up around 1200 will allow normal deceleration without need for forcefully braking. Not replacing the coolant sensor and thermostat would tend to run the engine rich with a higher idle (despite what seems normal against your observations).

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
rcw3586

1993 SL2
1994 SL

Thank you for the explanation fdryer.

I did replace the thermostat recently and now it comes up to 1/2 scale rather quickly.
The temp sensor I did not replace. Are they still available? I suppose I could swap them between my two cars or steal the one off my old 94 SOHC JY engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Why scrounge? ECTS is a $15-ish part, and the OEM is a known faulty product. Replacement does NOT constitute the usually sketchy practice of "throw parts at it". Check/replace the connector while you're there. There's honestly no point in second-guessing _anything_ wrt. the car's performance as long as there's an old-school ECTS poked into the head.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OBD-1 coasting in neutral is compensating for the non existent trans drag as it is too dumb to recognize you are in neutral this is why it is ~1500. Costing in neutral is not within the programed transmission operating parameters and accomplishes nothing beneficial, it is not recommended. This has been covered almost as often as which oil to use.

Changing the ECTS is a requirement however. The gauge indication is separate from the ECTS in Gen-1 OBD-1 cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Costing in neutral is not within the programed transmission operating parameters and accomplishes nothing beneficial, it is not recommended.
Well, if you coast in gear, your speed decreases much quicker. I've gotten in the habit of leaving it in gear to coast to a red light, but if I'm getting off a highway ramp and the next stop is 3/4 mile down the road, the people behind me tend to get upset for slowing down "so much". Wouldn't that be considered SOME sort of benefit to coasting in neutral?

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
The temp sensor I did not replace. Are they still available? I suppose I could swap them between my two cars or steal the one off my old 94 SOHC JY engine.
Brass coolant sensors are always available for Saturns. Every original sensor in Saturns since '91 - '01 were the plastic round nosed ones. Virtually every one of them cracked leading to incorrect air/fuel mixtures. Just remove yours on a cool engine and look; its either a round nosed plastic one or flat nosed brass. Brass is the correct one.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Well, if you coast in gear, your speed decreases much quicker. I've gotten in the habit of leaving it in gear to coast to a red light, but if I'm getting off a highway ramp and the next stop is 3/4 mile down the road, the people behind me tend to get upset for slowing down "so much". Wouldn't that be considered SOME sort of benefit to coasting in neutral?
Then why not just apply enough gas to maintain the speed you want on the ramp?

Or, if you feel the in-gear decel speed is safer, choose that rather than what some dude behind you wants. Your speed should always be what you consider safe for the conditions, not dictated by how fast people behind you want to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Then why not just apply enough gas to maintain the speed you want on the ramp?

Or, if you feel the in-gear decel speed is safer, choose that rather than what some dude behind you wants. Your speed should always be what you consider safe for the conditions, not dictated by how fast people behind you want to go.
Yes, yes. This is the logical approach. I guess old habits are hard to break. Hard to make the mind believe that leaving the foot on the gas (although easing off it) spends less gas than coasting in neutral, but you guys are the experts.

I normally don't give a hoot (I wanted to use a stronger word, but figured it would get censored) what idiots on the road think, but sometimes you do have to at least take them into consideration. If some redneck in his 4 X 4 is having a bad day and he gets very annoyed at your speed there is no telling what his stupidity will drive him to do. It would be his fault, but who wants to go through the trouble of taking an idiot to court, etc.??

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are in a concealed carry state, everyone is polite now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!