SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
ATOMIZER
ATOMIZER is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 XR Lower Control Arm

Just purchased 4 BFG Advantge 225/55/18's for this to replace the worn out Goodyear LS2's (crap) hoping for better winter/wet traction. During installation I noticed the drivers side lower ball joint was shot.... 44k miles. I ordered a whole new lower control arm (ball joint included) on ebay for $75. The removal is pretty straight forward... 4 bolts, installation is a bit tricky and I had to unbolt the trans mount and jack up the transmission about an inch to get a straight shot in with the forward bushing bolt. The whole job took just under 2 hours, I will have the front end aligned tomorrow... the steering wheel is just off center a smidge..... other than this repair the car has been performing flawlessly and gets about 27mpg on the highway at 75mph... nice sedan for the 12k it cost me... the 3.6 screams when pressed and the car flys down the road... but as these things go, just when they get things right or put out a descent car GM discontinues... go figure... did the same thing after we bought our 88 fiero GT....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ATOMIZER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ATOMIZER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ATOMIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 XR Lower Control Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMIZER View Post
Just purchased 4 BFG Advantge 225/55/18's for this to replace the worn out Goodyear LS2's (crap) hoping for better winter/wet traction. During installation I noticed the drivers side lower ball joint was shot.... 44k miles. I ordered a whole new lower control arm (ball joint included) on ebay for $75. The removal is pretty straight forward... 4 bolts, installation is a bit tricky and I had to unbolt the trans mount and jack up the transmission about an inch to get a straight shot in with the forward bushing bolt. The whole job took just under 2 hours, I will have the front end aligned tomorrow... the steering wheel is just off center a smidge..... other than this repair the car has been performing flawlessly and gets about 27mpg on the highway at 75mph... nice sedan for the 12k it cost me... the 3.6 screams when pressed and the car flys down the road... but as these things go, just when they get things right or put out a descent car GM discontinues... go figure... did the same thing after we bought our 88 fiero GT....
the ball joints are probably what making the noise in the front end. 75 bones each, thats not bad. new parts right?

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
ATOMIZER
ATOMIZER is on a distinguished road

Yea... the new control arm with included ball joint was $75 on ebay... and as stated less than 2 hrs in the drive way to install

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ATOMIZER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ATOMIZER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ATOMIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Stlrams513
Stlrams513 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Wow. I just had my brakes inspected and the found that the lower control arm was messed up too. They want to charge me $500. If you live in illinois I will gladly give you $200 to fix mine or something higher. Just not $500.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stlrams513's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stlrams513 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stlrams513 is offline   Reply With Quote