SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
JerkChicken
JerkChicken is on a distinguished road

Question Just bought an Astra - Need HELP! :)

Hey everyone!

I just bought an 08' Astra XE. (4-door, Blue, 50,000Kms) So far - I love it!

Here's the thing. I live in Calgary, Canada and (probably not a surprise to most) it gets really cold here in the winter. A block heater is almost a necessity.

Fortunately, my Astra has a factory block heater, but unfortunately I didn't get the special Block Heater cord that comes with all new Astra's. I called a local GM dealer, and at first the parts person I was talking to didn't know which cord I was talking about. After a few more attempts at explaining, he finally seemed to understand - and quoted me $360 for a cord. $360!!!

I have a suspicion that this isn't correct. At least I hope it isn't!

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious cord for me. Are there after-market ones you can buy at a Napa (or similar auto parts store) or do you HAVE TO buy one from GM? Are they really in the ballpark of $300+??

Any leads/info anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerkChicken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerkChicken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Just bought an Astra - Need HELP! :)

Nic posted a thread asking about it here:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=block+heater

He mentioned that that part number is: 94718543

A quick internet search comes up with two options for $110:

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-cord-94718543.html

http://www.gmpartseast.com/parts/gm-94718543_cord.html

While I can't recommend these sites as a good source to buy from, it is at least an example. Can anyone else chime in on these online sellers?

Try calling your dealer again and ask specifically for that part number; maybe they were looking at the wrong part? I'll try my local dealer and report back to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR

Sorry to ask the obvious, but did you look for the cord in the glovebox?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
JerkChicken
JerkChicken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
Sorry to ask the obvious, but did you look for the cord in the glovebox?
Ha, ya I did. I checked the owners manual and it stated that the cord will be in there when a new Astra is initially delivered to a customer. Unfortunately, the original owner of my Astra probably still has the cord - but I bought the car from a dealer, so I can't contact the original owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
Nic posted a thread asking about it here:

He mentioned that that part number is: 94718543

A quick internet search comes up with two options for $110:

While I can't recommend these sites as a good source to buy from, it is at least an example. Can anyone else chime in on these online sellers?

Try calling your dealer again and ask specifically for that part number; maybe they were looking at the wrong part? I'll try my local dealer and report back to you.
Thanks for the info Phatfire - much appreciated. I think I will try calling a different local dealer this time.

The advice is much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerkChicken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerkChicken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

When I bought my Astra, my cord was in the wheel well in the trunk...did you look there?

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Unfortunately, the original owner of my Astra probably still has the cord - but I bought the car from a dealer, so I can't contact the original owner.
I'd call the dealer you bought from. They might be willing to buy you one, probably not, but can't hurt to ask. They may also know the prior owner and be willing to reach out to him or her for you. When I traded my VUE in for the Astra, I completely forgot about the wallet size spare key which had been stashed in my desk for years. I came across it one day and took it over to the dealer who then mailed it to the new owner.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkChicken View Post
Hey everyone!

I just bought an 08' Astra XE. (4-door, Blue, 50,000Kms) So far - I love it!

Here's the thing. I live in Calgary, Canada and (probably not a surprise to most) it gets really cold here in the winter. A block heater is almost a necessity.

Fortunately, my Astra has a factory block heater, but unfortunately I didn't get the special Block Heater cord that comes with all new Astra's. I called a local GM dealer, and at first the parts person I was talking to didn't know which cord I was talking about. After a few more attempts at explaining, he finally seemed to understand - and quoted me $360 for a cord. $360!!!

I have a suspicion that this isn't correct. At least I hope it isn't!

Can anyone shed any light on this mysterious cord for me. Are there after-market ones you can buy at a Napa (or similar auto parts store) or do you HAVE TO buy one from GM? Are they really in the ballpark of $300+??

Any leads/info anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
You could try a local auto wrecker (they could put the word out and you might find one at a different wrecker somewhere in Alberta). If they have one, chances are the cord might still be in the car and you should be able to score one cheap.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote