SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
OZARKJAY
OZARKJAY is on a distinguished road

Default Tinting Head & Tail Lites

I'm think of tinting with a spray rather than a film.
Would like info from anyone that has done this.
Can it be removed once it dries if I ever wanted too ?
Does it hold up well?

08 AURA XE 3.5
Bronzed Pewter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OZARKJAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OZARKJAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OZARKJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Tinting Head & Tail Lites

I actually had it done with the tint film and it looks really nice and had no problems. Not sure about the spray. I live in NY and its survived the cold snow and no probs. If you do go with the film I would wait until the warm weather or summer(pending where you live) You would have to do it when its dry and no rain in the forcast. it would take a few days to thoroughly dry. I went a too little to dark with mine on the head lights and to be honest i may have it re-done again and lightened. at night its just not as bright. some places may fail you on a car inspection for safety if its way too dark though. I'll try to post pics of mine. or you can go to the saturn ion sight on facebook and I have pics on there

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Mgg4591
Mgg4591 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakes View Post
I actually had it done with the tint film and it looks really nice and had no problems. Not sure about the spray. I live in NY and its survived the cold snow and no probs. If you do go with the film I would wait until the warm weather or summer(pending where you live) You would have to do it when its dry and no rain in the forcast. it would take a few days to thoroughly dry. I went a too little to dark with mine on the head lights and to be honest i may have it re-done again and lightened. at night its just not as bright. some places may fail you on a car inspection for safety if its way too dark though. I'll try to post pics of mine. or you can go to the saturn ion sight on facebook and I have pics on there
Would you say that your tailights are blacked or or smoked? I also live in ny and wanna smoke my tailights, but I don't wanna get a ticket. I already got a 90 buck ticket for window tint, which I had to remove. I will be re tinting this spring so I figured I'd smoke the tailights with it. Have you ever had any issues with fuzz reguarding your lights?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mgg4591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mgg4591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mgg4591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Why would you want to do this? This seems to defeat the purpose of having "lights" ... with film on them, do you them call them "dims"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
PowerSurge55
PowerSurge55 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2001 SL2

I just blacked my tail lights last week. I used a spray tint, it looks pretty decent, also have to consider I have midnight blue XR. It leaves a kind of glossy look to the tailights, so i might try another coat or two.

When it comes to hitting your brakes its like the tint isnt even there, you can easily see them.

Not sure about the front I was considering that but not sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PowerSurge55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PowerSurge55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PowerSurge55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
servodave
servodave is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Its permanent.

I like the look with clearcoat over it.

We just did the tail lights on my sons truck. They look boss as hell but I'd guess about 5 hours total of filing off the factory mold lettering then wet sanding and painting with Niteshades. Then three coats of clear coat and buffing.

It was an old truck and the lenses had some ugly scratches in them.

Should be easier on the aura since the lenses are smooth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to servodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help servodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
servodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

If you use night shades then it isn't permanent and it is extremely easy to do. I did my rear tail lights in under an hour, start to finish. No need to wet sand anything, just make sure that your lights are clean before you start. I sprayed mine with a paint prep which removes oil residues before spraying the night shades on. Night shades is an inexpensive tint spray designed for just this use. You do very light coats until you get the darkness you desire, you can make it so dark that you cannot see your tail lights so be careful. If you do go too dark, rest easy, you CAN remove the tint by wet sanding it off and starting all over.

I purchased the night shades at a local auto parts store for $12. One can is plenty!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
servodave
servodave is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
If you use night shades then it isn't permanent and it is extremely easy to do. I did my rear tail lights in under an hour, start to finish. No need to wet sand anything, just make sure that your lights are clean before you start. I sprayed mine with a paint prep which removes oil residues before spraying the night shades on. Night shades is an inexpensive tint spray designed for just this use. You do very light coats until you get the darkness you desire, you can make it so dark that you cannot see your tail lights so be careful. If you do go too dark, rest easy, you CAN remove the tint by wet sanding it off and starting all over.

I purchased the night shades at a local auto parts store for $12. One can is plenty!
LOL. Ok, I can see your point. It CAN be removed with sandpaper or maybe solvent. I suppose calling something permanent is like calling a ship unsinkable...

I agree about being careful--even practice on some junkyard lenses. 4 coats is DARK and 5 is flat black. 2 very light coats seemed to be a nice compromise between getting a ticket and no longer pretending to be stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to servodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help servodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
servodave is offline   Reply With Quote