SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Happy L Series Owner with a S series question! (part swaps)

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 LS1 with 189k miles on it, works fine but some interior pieces are starting to show there wear, for instance i just had to replace my instrument cluster because some lighting got damaged or something.

Well I went to my local junkyard, they had 1 ls IN THE WHOLE YARD, its been there for 2 months and practically not recognizable while they had i wanna say 25 or more different SL, SC, SW, and so on, what parts swap over?

-Window switches
-Gear Shift
-Trim Pieces
-Door Handles
-Seats
-Steering wheel
-Center console
-ETC

If you know of anything else that would be great! I plan on keeping my saturn as long as I can.

Thanks,
Matt

mi: 199,xxx

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

Pismo Beach: xx
Morro Bay: oo
San Francisco: x
Los Angeles: ooo
Anahiem (disneyland): xxx
Tulare: o,(x-atleast 15)
Visalia: x

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: L Series Owner with a S series question! (part swaps)

The shifter handle looks similar as well as the exterior door handles (2nd/3rd gen S-Series). Emblems will swap over and possibly a few light bulbs. Radios from early model L-Series might swap with later model S-Series, but not sure.

The two models really dont have much in common.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

whats the window controls by the shifter look like?

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattachuz View Post
whats the window controls by the shifter look like?
Not even close to the L-Series.

They sit behind the shifter and are a snap in module.

1991-1994:

1995-1999:

2000-2002:

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ah ya, on my L series i need to replace the right side snap module, what about window regulators? do they really HAVE to be for saturn or can i just pull it from any car and hotwire it into my door?

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Can't you just replace the bulbs?

I have yet to replace my Saturn SL2 instrument bulbs, but I know that many cars use a bulb that's mounted in a special bayonet plastic holder that isn't usually available at parts stores. I have found that I can use the smallest all-glass bulb that most parts stores sell, that a 1990 Honda Civic uses, by cutting slits in the plastic retainer where the wires should go, and then just bending the wires out radially. Sits a bit higher, but works.

Could also use orange LEDs or whatever color you wish, but you'll need the appropriate current limiting resistor. Also would want to sand the plastic so that light shines in all directions, and not just forward.

I am guessing that the original possibly dealer-only bulbs might be expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

The L-Series is a completely different car from the S-Series.

It was built in Wilmington Delaware and shares the same platform as the Saab 95 and the Opel Vectra.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
what about window regulators? do they really HAVE to be for saturn or can i just pull it from any car and hotwire it into my door?
Window regulators are vehicle specific. Only 2000-2005 L-Series regulators will fit in your car. But in all honesty, that should be common sense.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Food for thought…

Rumors have it the cars in Fresno get so sand blasted from the sand storms there not even body rust sticks.

Fresno, in Spanish, means almond which makes sense. That is where all the almond trees are!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
Can't you just replace the bulbs?
L-Series instrument cluster bulbs are replacable. There is a total of five. I just looked it up in the factory service manual.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
Food for thought…

Rumors have it the cars in Fresno get so sand blasted from the sand storms there not even body rust sticks.

Fresno, in Spanish, means almond which makes sense. That is where all the almond trees are!
Fresno is also a place where some will attempt to kill you for a Saturn.

Ask me how I know.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
ehunter

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

OK I will bite... HOW?

Sounds like it might be a good story...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
OK I will bite... HOW?

Sounds like it might be a good story...
I wouldnt call it a good story. Rather than type it all up agian, I'll just post a link to where I told it before:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=13

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
ehunter

1996 SL2

One evening I was in Fresno to run the steeplechase the following day for my college team. The guys and I were bored as hell and the coach wanted to go goof around himself if you could call Fresno a place to go goof around in.

So I and my buddys were on our own. There was a mobile home park across the roadway from our hotel and a buddy of mine got the bright idea to start taking handfuls of gravel rocks and rain them down on the tin roofs of the mobile homes. Well, some guy came out of his home mad as hell with a shotgun. Lucky for us the guy fired up into the air just to scare us. Needless to say we were fast as hell on our feet and got the hell out of there.

We figured we better cool it for the rest of the evening.

That town is just no fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

im guessing you guys are poking stabs at fresno, i grew up here and live in clovis which is right next to fresno, yea theres a **** ton of saturns here lol, mostly the S series, but quite a few L series.

the light bulbs would probably of been replaceable, but it was on backorder online and didnt want to go to the dealer, i could of even pocketed the bulbs from the junk yard but i moved bulbs from one spot to another on my old cluster and they kept burning out or something, i ended up with all 5 backlights out.

i guess i looked at the S series before the saabs because its cheaper, even if the 9/5 is the same engine components i doubt the interiors the same.

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #16
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I'm guessing, though, that if the instrument panel bulbs look how I think they look, you can just buy the tiniest all-glass bulbs from your local AutoZone, bend the wires so that they point away from the bulb radially, and then solder them in place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
ehunter

1996 SL2

Quote:
im guessing you guys are poking stabs at fresno, i grew up here and live in clovis which is right next to fresno,
Hey Matt...You still have all those Basque restaurants there in Fresno? That's a plus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

dunno, i never go to those xD probably somewhere. still got city lights, and the biggest sex shop in town is on one of the main bus lines.

trips:

X = dest
O = ON way

home- Clovis, ca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!