SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
bertwhitaker
bertwhitaker is on a distinguished road

Default Knuckle makes angle with trailing-arm-attachment point?

One of my trailing arms had broken at the knuckle, and I had a guy weld it rather than buy another. When I put it back on I noticed something weird. When I look at the knuckle where the trailing arm attaches on the side that DIDN'T break, the loop attachment from the knuckle appears to be absolutely in line with the trailing arm, as in it isn't at an angle at all, which seems good because that doesn't look like it's twisting the arm at all just sitting there. I'm sure it flexes things a bit when the wheel is bouncing up and down, but at least it's mostly unflexed at rest on the ground. HOWEVER, when I look at the attachment from the knuckle on the side that DID break, and which I just replaced, it appears that the trailing arm makes an angle with the attachment loop to the knuckle, as in it appears to have an angle or twist when it's just sitting on the ground. When looking at the knuckle from the car's center, it appears the whole spindle or attachment has been rotated slightly clockwise, which would tend to flex the trailing arm down a bit. I am wondering if this may have been the result of her having driven it a bit with the trailing arm broken. Is there any way to fix this tilt? Is the strut bent? Something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bertwhitaker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bertwhitaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bertwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links