SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
pecze
pecze is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 Saturn Vue Timing Belt & Oil Leak

Question for the forum. Not much of a car guy here.

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue 6cyl that has 125k miles on it.

I took it in for an oil change and they called to tell me I have an oil leak around the timing system.

So, I think I'm going to be relplacing the timing belt and water pump here shortly so that I don't have a cataclysmic failure.

They say they need to replace the cam/crank seals and the valve cover gasket.

Here's my dilemma. I only planned on keeping the car for 2 years tops. It's only used for commuting (20 miles round trip per day).

My FIL says I should have the cam/crank seals replaced since they're right there but doesn't think I need to have the valve cover gasket replaced right now.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Total repairs were quoted at $2400. The car's not worth much more than that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pecze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pecze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pecze is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Timing Belt & Oil Leak

Things tend to snowball with this engine. If you have the original TB and WP in there, you definitely want to do those ASAP. The TB Kit usually comes with the Cam Shaft Seals. I didn't change the seals - that gets into a whole 'nother operation. You have to remove the Intake Manifold to do the Cam Cover Gaskets. From experience I should have changed those when I did my Plugs. If your Plugs are original or over 60k - you want to change those, the Cam Cover Gaskets and the T'stat at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecze View Post
Question for the forum. Not much of a car guy here.

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue 6cyl that has 125k miles on it.

I took it in for an oil change and they called to tell me I have an oil leak around the timing system.

So, I think I'm going to be relplacing the timing belt and water pump here shortly so that I don't have a cataclysmic failure.

They say they need to replace the cam/crank seals and the valve cover gasket.

Here's my dilemma. I only planned on keeping the car for 2 years tops. It's only used for commuting (20 miles round trip per day).

My FIL says I should have the cam/crank seals replaced since they're right there but doesn't think I need to have the valve cover gasket replaced right now.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Total repairs were quoted at $2400. The car's not worth much more than that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote