SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
SL2Many
SL2Many is on a distinguished road

Default Cracked fitting-end of overflow hose

2001 SL2--I had a drip at the engine end of the hose leading from the overflow tank. When I tightened the clamp the fitting cracked. leaving a 1/4'' piece on the engine. Is this enough to reattach the hose, or how can I fix this? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Many's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Many reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2Many is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Cracked fitting-end of overflow hose

Are you talking about the fitting that is down below the Exhaust manifold next to the thermostat?

In any case, I would typically not trust a 1/4" remainder of a broken fitting. There might have been some corrosion or corruption that contributed to the fitting breakage in the first place. That would make me mistrust the last 1/4" even more. ....And now you have a much smaller attatching surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^ +1; keep in mind that this is NOT an overflow. It's part of the pressurized system. Needs to withdstand 15 psi. Best to replace the broken part. A pic would help identify it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
SL2Many
SL2Many is on a distinguished road

It's the nipple on the intake manifold. I hope that can splice it internally with a thinwall pipe unless someone has a suggestion. I'm trying to avoid replacing the manifold as it's not a DIY job for me; same goes for the repair kits on eBay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Many's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Many reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

This is what you need to fix it. An internal pipe is at best a very temporary fix. Aluminum heads warp badly when all the coolant blows out and it will happen faster than the gauge will notice.

You need this piece to fix it correctly.
Intake repair
http://www.carsaturn.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote