SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1
Default Key fob design flaw and repair

My remote wouldn't work sometimes, until I would tap on it, then it worked fine.
Thought I would give a little write up on a 5 minute repair, rather than purchasing new ones, and taking them to the dealer to be programmed.
Pop open remote by using thin object in slot shown in the first pic, then work thin object around the remote to remove it evenly. If you just try to pry in one area, you may crack the remote cover.

The problem, which I assume is with all most of them, is that the battery bracket broke away from the board. There is lots of force on the bracket. Use solder paste, around all 3 contact points, then use tin lead solder to solder them back on. Note that the center tab is only for strength, and the 2 outside legs that go through the board must be soldered also, as they are part of the circuit board.

Clean the other side of the board to remove any contaminates on the switches before you re-assemble it.

Put the battery back in, snap it back together and you are set to go.
No reprogramming necessary after extended times with the battery out.

notes -
Do not use high temp solder. If you get too much heat to the board, some of the little resisters may fall off and you will never find them.
This board is a from a remote that has remote start. You may not have all the resisters on yours if you doesn't have remote start.

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-P1000143.JPG (55.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg mini-P1000138.JPG (93.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg mini-P1000140.JPG (85.0 KB, 82 views)

If it ain't broke it's over designed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Key fob design flaw and repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
My remote wouldn't work sometimes, until I would tap on it, then it worked fine.
Thought I would give a little write up on a 5 minute repair, rather than purchasing new ones, and taking them to the dealer to be programmed.
Pop open remote by using thin object in slot shown in the first pic, then work thin object around the remote to remove it evenly. If you just try to pry in one area, you may crack the remote cover.

The problem, which I assume is with all most of them, is that the battery bracket broke away from the board. There is lots of force on the bracket. Use solder paste, around all 3 contact points, then use tin lead solder to solder them back on. Note that the center tab is only for strength, and the 2 outside legs that go through the board must be soldered also, as they are part of the circuit board.

Clean the other side of the board to remove any contaminates on the switches before you re-assemble it.

Put the battery back in, snap it back together and you are set to go.
No reprogramming necessary after extended times with the battery out.

notes -
Do not use high temp solder. If you get too much heat to the board, some of the little resisters may fall off and you will never find them.
This board is a from a remote that has remote start. You may not have all the resisters on yours if you doesn't have remote start.

Al
Thanks for posting this.
I'd been meaning to post pics for a long time. The key is using a fine tip soldering iron. Finer the better. Performance improvement was night vs day for me. Since its such a commonly used fob for GM (maybe their only fob, I don't know), there are probably hundreds of thousands of these problem fobs out there. Yet when I brought it to the attention of the dealer's service writer, she played dumb & "had never seen that problem".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Here is a pic of one on the way out. Funny that this is the other remote I got. Very common problem it appears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-P1030284.JPG (107.9 KB, 78 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
Here is a pic of one on the way out. Funny that this is the other remote I got. Very common problem it appears.
Both of mine worked perfectly at first, only to deteriorate over time to poor range & intermittency.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
CrazyAmazing
CrazyAmazing is on a distinguished road

Would this cause the FOB to act weird in general? My unlock button works immediately and from far away but I've been having problems with my lock button. To lock the car, I have to kind of hold the button down an extra second, almost like the trunk. The trunk button still works, the unlock works flawlessly but just the lock is a bit weird.

Would this contract problem cause this? I'm considering a new FOB and doing what someone else suggested (bringing a new one to the dealer claiming broken and hopefully having them program it out of the kindness of their hearts) but I would love two FOBs that work amazingly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyAmazing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
alleninpa

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Just pop the remote apart. There could be contamination on the contact points for the lock function. Clean with an eraser. Might as well check the battery bracket while you are in there

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
CrazyAmazing
CrazyAmazing is on a distinguished road

The battery bracket looks good but the battery almost looks punctured, the contacts to the battery are messy and the bracket seems almost broken. I bought it used and it's kind of a mess but I'm going to try my luck grabbing a new one on eBay and convincing someone to program it for me.

Wish me luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrazyAmazing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrazyAmazing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrazyAmazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAmazing View Post
The battery bracket looks good but the battery almost looks punctured, the contacts to the battery are messy and the bracket seems almost broken.
How about a picture? Sounds like the button battery has leaked. Probably not worth salvaging.

My fobs looked just fine internally but the resoldering fix stopped all their misbehaving. Lord knows how many bad ones were produced at that Chinese/Mexican/'fill in the cheapest labor market here' factory. Hundreds of thousands? I've no idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
The Last One
The Last One is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL1

Yep this just happened to ours. Had the car just over a year, wife mentioned the remote quit working. Popped it apart to replace the battery and the metal battery holder was completly seperated from the board...soidered back together replaced battery and good as new!

I have to wonder how many new fobs GM has sold because of this problem? My wife was already to go get a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Last One's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Last One reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Last One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
trpal
trpal is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me what I should expect a dealer to charge for re-programming
my remote? 2007 Saturn Aura
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trpal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trpal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
alleninpa

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Seen quotes from 0-$50. If you don't have a soldering iron, either purchase one, or if you are not handy, PM me. I will re-solder the tabs and return postage paid for $5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpal View Post
Can anyone tell me what I should expect a dealer to charge for re-programming
my remote? 2007 Saturn Aura
Thanks
Once a fob's ID code has been learned it should never require relearning unless that fob has been purposely erased from memory using a tech 2. So I assume you acquired a new fob & need it to be learned. You can have up to 4 active fobs.

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important:

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.

The keyless entry transmitters used in the Advance 2 Way Remote Start System isare unique to the system. When servicing or replacing a transmitter, ensure that the correct transmitter is used. The correct transmitter part number can be found in the Accessory section of the parts catalog. Attempting to replace an Advance 2 Way Remote Start transmitter with a regular service part will result in a failure to program the transmitter.

Invalidate All
This procedure will erase all keyless entry transmitters from memory.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool, select Body.
Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select Invalidate All.
Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.
Next Available Slot
Incremental programming allows for a transmitter to be programmed into the next available location without affecting the currently programmed transmitters. Previously programmed transmitters will not be erased during this procedure.

Important: If all 4 slots are programmed, the Invalidate All procedure will need to be performed to allow transmitter programming.

Install a scan tool.
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select Next Available Slot.
Remove the scan tool.
Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.
Transmitter Slot Programming
Transmitter slot programming allows a single transmitter to be programmed into a specific slot without affecting any of the other programmed transmitters. By using slot programming, the transmitter originally programmed to a specific slot is erased and the new transmitter learned in its placed.

Install a scan tool.
Select Module Setup.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Select the key fob desired to be programmed.
Remove the scan tool.
Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!