SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Default clunking noise in front end

1997 Saturn SL with 205,xxx miles. I have replaced both front wheel bearings and I replaced both front struts and I replaced both outer tie rod ends and had an alignment after those parts were replaced. When I removed the wheel knuckle to press out the old wheel bearings, the lower ball joints seemed okay, but obviously not as tight as a new ball joint. When I drive over a rough road I hear clunking noises coming from the front of the car. Almost as if there was play between two parts. Is there a common part that wears out on these cars with this milage? How would I go about checking these parts for play or looseness? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Frankd1
Frankd1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: clunking noise in front end

Did you replace the front strut top mounts as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frankd1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frankd1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frankd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: clunking noise in front end

Replace sway bar to control arm end bushings and the clunk will go away. I had the same problem on my 1995 SL1. The new bushings are 2 piece and not too hard to install.

1995 SL1 178,500 and go'in strong!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

You've covered some of the bases. There are other areas that can cause a "clunk."

1. Ball joints. Requires you replace the lower control arms. I'd do this first. For $30/side you can get them with the sway bar bushings already installed too.

2. Inner tie rods. You want to get under the car with the front wheels unloaded and see if you've got any "wiggle" in the tie rods. Try up/down and in/out.

3. Steering rack. Sometimes it's just a bad rack. Get the car up on a lift or on jack stands and have someone turn the wheel lock to lock and listen for the clunk.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your replies. I did not replace the top strut mounts when I bought the new KYB struts. The lower ball joints are the original ones that came with the car. I will check for play in the steering rack inner and outer tie rod ends.
Would you purchase the lower ball joint part that includes the bushings from Rock Auto Parts and if these parts are replaced, do you need a new alignment done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote