SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
diablo2070
diablo2070 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2
Default CEL errors on an Astra I'm looking to buy (P000A, C1555, P0011, P0102)

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an Astra and I went for a test drive. It was a rainy day and I felt the car had no power under 4000-4500 rpms. When I say no power, I mean that I could floor the gas pedal and I was barely feeling anything. I remember trying one before and it was not so weak.

Talking with a mechanic, he told me it could be the MAF that was dirty / dead. He asked me to try it while disconnecting the sensor. I just did it tonight it the power was much better, but after reconnecting it, it was still "good".

I plugged my OBD-II reader and I found these codes :

- P000A
- C1555
- P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
- P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

From the last code, I suspect that my MAF is dirty or fried. Could this be the cause of all errors? Is there anything there that I should know before buying it ?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astraxr.jpg (39.2 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diablo2070's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diablo2070 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diablo2070 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: CEL errors on an Astra I'm looking to buy (P000A, C1555, P0011, P0102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2070 View Post
I found these codes :

- P000A
- C1555
- P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
- P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

From the last code, I suspect that my MAF is dirty or fried. Could this be the cause of all errors? Is there anything there that I should know before buying it ?

Thanks
It appears reasonable that the P0011 could be related to the P0102. If I were to start any repairs based on this information I'd be inclined to deal with the MAF sensor issue first. However, it is possible for the timing belt to have slipped and therefore to have altered the timing. Unfortunately, that cannot be known without actually inspecting the timing belt directly and therein lies the dilemma. If correcting the MAF sensor DTC, P0102, does not also correct the problem causing the appearance of the other DTC, P0011, then there's a strong likelihood that one would have to deal with the timing belt.

Is this timing belt due for replacement? What year model is this and how many kilometers has it been driven? Is there maintenance history available?

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2
Default Re: CEL errors on an Astra I'm looking to buy (P000A, C1555, P0011, P0102)

Sorry, I forgot to mention.
The car have 92000 km (57166 miles). From the information I found on a timing belt maker, they were recommanding to change it every 120000km (75000 miles) so it "should" still have a long way to go. It's a 2008 Astra XR 3-Doors. I have no maintenance records. The woman who have it now only had it for 1 year and a half and she is changing for a car with more room. She already bought the other car and if by tomorrow lunch time, she have no news from me, she give it in exchange to the dealer where she bought the new car. I would have it at 3200$, considering the errors code and possible MAF change, and the 18 inch tires that need to be replaced.

So the 2 possible causes are likely the MAF or the timing belt ? I think the timing belt is very expensive to change in this car, am I right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help diablo2070 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

In the opening post you said the car drove "good" after disconnecting the MAF sensor. Does that mean that it seemed normal, or that there was still something slightly irregular about its driveability?

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention.
The car have 92000 km (57166 miles). From the information I found on a timing belt maker, they were recommanding to change it every 120000km (75000 miles) so it "should" still have a long way to go. It's a 2008 Astra XR 3-Doors. I have no maintenance records. The woman who have it now only had it for 1 year and a half........I would have it at 3200$, considering the errors code and possible MAF change, and the 18 inch tires that need to be replaced.
Thank you for getting the additional information. (As an aside, I have no idea what used car prices are like "north of the border" so I have no idea if the price is reasonable or not.) Obviously, there will be some additional maitenance costs coming up soon. Regarding the timing belt, you are correct, there should be plenty of life left in it. So at this point my thinking would be that we'd have to play out what the likelihood would be of having a bad timing belt at this point in the car's history. Generally, timing belts last minimally to the recommended service mileage before any probelm arises. With that in mind, the likelihood of the belt having jumped the timing is low.

Quote:
So the 2 possible causes are likely the MAF or the timing belt ? I think the timing belt is very expensive to change in this car, am I right?
Yes, that is what is was saying. Of course, I'm here in California and you're in Quebec so this comes to you from long distance, sight unseen. It's my assessment based on the information at hand. You are correct, timing belt replacements tend to be expensive jobs. However, a timing belt replacement appears to be about a year away depending on your annual kilometerage (What word is used instead of mileage in this context?).

IMO, your choice is determined by how you wish to balance what is known about the condition of the car versus what is unknown and then decide if it's worth your money.

329,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A leftist, deep-stater will get the nomination for POTUS. What follows if he gets his way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It could very well be the camshaft position sensor. Sometimes the "mesh filter screen" gets clogged up, which may cause a decrease in engine performance.

I only checked, and cleaned mine once (although it was perfect at the time).

2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Action Jackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Action Jackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
In the opening post you said the car drove "good" after disconnecting the MAF sensor. Does that mean that it seemed normal, or that there was still something slightly irregular about its driveability?
It seemed normal but maybe 2-3 times I felt that there was a very small miss but I'm not totally sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Yes, that is what is was saying. Of course, I'm here in California and you're in Quebec so this comes to you from long distance, sight unseen. It's my assessment based on the information at hand. You are correct, timing belt replacements tend to be expensive jobs. However, a timing belt replacement appears to be about a year away depending on your annual kilometerage (What word is used instead of mileage in this context?).
I understand that it's impossible to make a diagnosis 100% exact in a forum, but I'm thankful for the information that you give me. Also, I have a mechanic in my family that doesn't charge much for us, so if it was really the timing belt, I could probably get it changed without adding $1000 to the car (and it's in worst case). I have to admit I have no idea how they say in english for "kilometerage" or so. In french we say "Kilométrage", and I just looked for a translation and the translator write "mileage"... So I guess english people here use the same "mileage" word even if they talk about kilometers. That would have to be confirmed by someone

Quote:
It could very well be the camshaft position sensor. Sometimes the "mesh filter screen" gets clogged up, which may cause a decrease in engine performance.

I only checked, and cleaned mine once (although it was perfect at the time).
I read on that in this forum in the last days. I think the official GM solution was to completely remove the filter and not use any. I think it was bringing more problems than good. That's clearly something to look for.

I'm really tempted to buy it without having it inspected, as it is kind of pricy and I don't think I can get that much problem with a car of that mileage. If I have less than $1000 of care to put it top nutch, then it would be a good deal, I think. The cheaper the better, of course.

Thank you for your advice. If you have any other tips or things to look for (I mean, very important things that could bring very bad and expensive problems), tell me. Else, I will probably be buying it tomorrow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

I'm officialy a new Astra XR 3 doors owner!
There is some maintenance do to.
- 2 rear coils are broken
- rear passenger galipper not working
- Change both rear disks
I can get parts at garage discounted price because of a friend, so with the prices he gave me today, it won't cost that much. I just have to investigate more on the error codes and the lack of power that happen sometimes. When I have time, I will look for the MAF and the cam shaft sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #8
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

It may be a good idea to replace the spark plugs and coil pack. The oem plugs on this car are meant to be changed every 25,000KM. If they don't get changed you run the risk of having a misfire and breaking the coil pack.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #9
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

That's good to know. I was thinking of looking for the spark plugs to see how they look. Is there recommended ones , or plugs to avoid?

Abou the coil pack, it seems quite expensive. I saw a very cheap one on Ali Express ... Do you think it can be very bad ?

There is coilpack of all prices ranging from this to CAD$500. If spark plugs look fine, they must have been changed so there is changes that the coil pack is fine, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Look on this forum - coil packs can be had for under $70 on amazon.

The timing belt change is based on age/mileage/use. On age, that will need to be changed soon. Also see the forum as some of the related pulleys should be changed as they show excessive wear at high frequency. If the belt snaps, your engine will be shot...

That looks like a good deal assuming you can get the problems sorted without any major surprises...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #11
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

Thanks for your feedback. I will look for that later. I guess I don't have to change it now since I have no errors about misfire or anything like that.

Today the engine run very rough and lack of power (inconsistant power, I should say).
I dissassembled the air intake and looked at the MAF sensor. It is clean like a new one and the throttle body is shiny like new too. I still tried to clean it with MAF cleaner. I will reassemble soon but I'm not expecting any change from what I saw. Air filter was clean. Now I will have to look for the camshaft sensor oil filter, to see if it is cloaked, but I don't have all my tools now. I will shop for new spark plugs too. From the log file I have from the previous owner, they haven't been. It seems like iridium spark plugs is the way to go with these cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #12
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

Ok so I changed the spark plugs for NGK Iridium IX. The old ones were standard Bosch spark plugs and they looked like they were there since Saturn sold the car. With that changed, no improvement for my rough engine.

So now what I did :
- Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner (it was already very clean looking)
- Throttle Body was shiny
- Removed both oil pressure solenoid for valve timing control. One had half of a little orange filter off. Could it be in the engine?? I removed all the filters as they looked flimsy and 2 of them broke in my hands. I didn't took a chance and removed all of them. I also cleaned them with the MAF cleaner. They were not dirty at all, by the way. Not a single sign of dirt on the filters as well.

So far, no improvement at all. What should I do next? I'm starting to think that it wasn't a good purchase. Engine is really running bad these last 2 days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Diablo -

Don't panic - these are good engines with a dozen + quirks that a home mechanic can generally sort through.

Maybe you could write in precise detail about the drivability problems and the experts here can chime in...

This site has a fantastic database of owner solutions. Next step is to use the search function with those codes and your problems here. One (or more) of the codes may be a dummy code that disappears when you resolve another code.

Some very common problems based on recent posts I remember relating to driveability issues include:

1- There are other timing system problem areas to search on (camshaft sprocket & separate camshaft position actuators - they are different and cause problems on this car)

2- The coil pack seems to die on people that don't change plugs every 25k miles (spark plug gap increases, putting more stress on coil pack?)

3- Look at clogged exhaust from crumbled catalytic converters for drivability issues (particularly as RPMs ramp up and you get no power, especially climbing a hill). Odd codes from this one

- Slipped timing belt as mentioned by pierrot below (but it doesn't seem to be a big problem with the Astra; the low output engine + tight housing seem to make that not too likely in my non-expert opinion)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Maybe you could write in precise detail about the drivability problems and the experts here can chime in...
Symptoms are the following :
- The engine run very rough, kind of diesel engine sound.
- There is a lot of vibrations, especially at idle, but also when ramping RPM and trying to accelerate.
- The engine is very weak and power seems to vary all the time. Sometimes it's almost hard to keep up with the traffic when going to work on the highway.
- At idle, sometimes the RPM needle keeps moving and the engine rpm doesn't feel stable.

It is far more than just the error codes showing up. I have a small OBD-II bluetooth device (ELM327). I'm going to clear the codes again to see if all of them show up again with the minor cleaning I did, and spark plug change.

Quote:
This site has a fantastic database of owner solutions. Next step is to use the search function with those codes and your problems here. One (or more) of the codes may be a dummy code that disappears when you resolve another code.
Yes, I agree. I was using it a lot for my SC2, but there is not as much information for the Astra. I came here to read at first and that's how I found out that it was probably the MAF or the oil pressure sensors (dirty filter), but after looking at it, it doesn't run better.

Quote:
1- There are other timing system problem areas to search on (camshaft sprocket & separate camshaft position actuators - they are different and cause problems on this car)
I must say that at this point, it seems to be a little bit complicated for me. I never worked inside an engine. The important part is that if I know exactly what part to change, I can see a mechanic in my family so he can change it for me for cheap. He is not very good with these new technologies, though, so I have to point out what part I want to change. I read about these actuators, and I'm ready to have them changed if I can be quite sure that they need to be changed. Is there any way to find out the exact part(s) without doing a hit and miss part change until the engine run well? With the exchange rate, parts are quite expensive. Changing 2 oil pressure sensor and 2 camshaft sensor cost nearly 300$CAD (only parts). Any way to verify them?
And when changing the actuators, does anything need to be done to the Timing Belt? (Is it a good time to change it while doing this job?)

Quote:
2- The coil pack seems to die on people that don't change plugs every 25k miles (spark plug gap increases, putting more stress on coil pack?)
So considering the car is 92k km (57k miles), and that the spark plugs looked like the original ones, there is good chances that the coil pack failed. Could a failed coil pack give camshaft timing error? I have no misfire error code so far, only the codes mentionned in the title.

Quote:
3- Look at clogged exhaust from crumbled catalytic converters for drivability issues (particularly as RPMs ramp up and you get no power, especially climbing a hill). Odd codes from this one
From what I remember when the car was on the lift, the catalytic converter was looking perfectly fine (gray metal, not rusty)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #15
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

By the way when I said the "oil pressure sensors", I meant the "Variable Timing Solenoid", or "Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
Symptoms are the following :
- The engine run very rough, kind of diesel engine sound.
- There is a lot of vibrations, especially at idle, but also when ramping RPM and trying to accelerate.
- The engine is very weak and power seems to vary all the time. Sometimes it's almost hard to keep up with the traffic when going to work on the highway.
- At idle, sometimes the RPM needle keeps moving and the engine rpm doesn't feel stable.
On a old 4 cylinder VW GTI (pre modern OBD so no consumer codes available) I had those exact symptoms. The problem was a bad spark plug cable on cylinder #3. So it was an ignition (spark) problem.

Since the 4 cylinder Astra does not have spark plug cables (they are effectively integrated into the 4 tips of the coil pack) and the popular ignition problems on the astra are:

1. Spark plugs not changed every 25k miles
2. Bad coil pack

...those are the areas I would look next (they are also easy and cheap to fix).

A. Did you have the correct gap on the spark plugs? I know they come out of the factory with a gap written on the box; but that is often wrong. Did you remeasure the gap? If you are not 100% sure of the gap, a wrong gap could be the problem. Look on this site for recommendations on gap and remeasure on your plugs.

B. If that does not work, throwing $70 at an Amazon coilpack would be my next step; takes less than 10 minutes to change and is incredibly easy to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #17
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

I plugged my OBD-II reader this morning before going to work. There was 9 codes! Some related to misfire. I deleted them and drove my car to work. Now, the only codes appareading are P0304 and P0300. Plus, the CEL sometimes go off when idling at a light, or while cruising at constant speed with low RPM. It comes back as soon as I ask a little bit more to the engine.
None of the other codes came back so far.

Quote:
A. Did you have the correct gap on the spark plugs? I know they come out of the factory with a gap written on the box; but that is often wrong. Did you remeasure the gap? If you are not 100% sure of the gap, a wrong gap could be the problem. Look on this site for recommendations on gap and remeasure on your plugs.
Those NGK are 0.028 The man at the store said that those iridium spark plugs come pre-gaped and I should not change the gap (only for the iridium ones) because they could work badly if I change the gap. I know the recommended gap is 0.035, but I guess that's with regular shaped spark plugs (like the stock Bosch ones).

Quote:
B. If that does not work, throwing $70 at an Amazon coilpack would be my next step; takes less than 10 minutes to change and is incredibly easy to do.
I had no time to write this feedback this morning, but that's what I'm thinking too. I don't know which coils you have at 70$ but I don't think it's possible to find any under 260$ here. Amazon.com won't ship to Canada, and amazon.ca have a very poor choice of parts. That's not what I would call "cheap", but it is not that bad. Since no other error code (camshaft, MAF) came back, I think that a new coil is the best guess at this point.

I think the engine is better today. It still run very rough, but I feel that the power band is more steady. It is weak, but more predictable than the last 2 days. I will keep looking at the OBD-II codes after driving back from work and see if there is anything new

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #18
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
I plugged my OBD-II reader this morning before going to work. There was 9 codes! Some related to misfire. I deleted them and drove my car to work. Now, the only codes appareading are P0304 and P0300. Plus, the CEL sometimes go off when idling at a light, or while cruising at constant speed with low RPM. It comes back as soon as I ask a little bit more to the engine.
None of the other codes came back so far.
Codes tend to cascade so maybe some are false positives.

Quote:
Those NGK are 0.028 The man at the store said that those iridium spark plugs come pre-gaped and I should not change the gap (only for the iridium ones) because they could work badly if I change the gap. I know the recommended gap is 0.035, but I guess that's with regular shaped spark plugs (like the stock Bosch ones).
Gapping iridium plugs requires care so if you are not comfortable here is a simple solution.

Buy some cheap ($2) spark plugs and a decent gapper and gap them according to factory spec. Look on the internet to see how it is done. Will take 3 minutes max.

An informal search shows people here at 035 to 040 but do good research to find recommended specs from GM; too small of a gap might result in incomplete combustion (bad drivability and could wash your cat or o2 sensor in gas - expensive news you need to avoid ASAP).

Quote:
I had no time to write this feedback this morning, but that's what I'm thinking too. I don't know which coils you have at 70$ but I don't think it's possible to find any under 260$ here. Amazon.com won't ship to Canada, and amazon.ca have a very poor choice of parts.
I see some ~$50 ebay coils shipping to Canada. Search the board as some people have had them shipped from China directly (I think).

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #19
diablo2070

2008 Astra XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
I see some ~$50 ebay coils shipping to Canada. Search the board as some people have had them shipped from China directly (I think).
You are right. I just found some very cheap on Ebay. Most comes from the USA, but shipping times are 25-34 business days...
And I found a local shop that can have Delphi Coil at 238$ which is cheaper than online. I supposed that being Delphi branded, it should be much better quality / more reliable, what do you think ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2016, 03:48 PM   #20
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are right. I just found some very cheap on Ebay. Most comes from the USA, but shipping times are 25-34 business days...
And I found a local shop that can have Delphi Coil at 238$ which is cheaper than online. I supposed that being Delphi branded, it should be much better quality / more reliable, what do you think ?
The Delphi parts may or may not be the same.

Cars get expensive chasing parts. So before throwing money at the coilpack, try the $10 cheap new spark plug properly gapped solution first.

There are several active canadian guys here so PM them with coil pack recommendations as they may not be following this thread...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!