SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Oil Life Monitor

Isn't there a way to check how many miles are left before the INSP1000 comes on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Oil Life Monitor

Yes. I copied this from another post:

I was wondering if there is a way to check how many miles I have before the INSP will warm me to get an oil change?

open door key in ignition and then hold down the trip reset button for a few secs and it'll show "INSP####* that is your mileage left to go

Just an additional note, but the key must be inserted but left in the "off" position. Otherwise, you'll just end up resetting the trip meter.

Awesome it worked like a charm.

Great! But remember that the oil change monitoring system works using other data than just "miles". If you park the car for six months, don't expect it to read the same.

The reset procedure for the monitor is also flawed in the owner's manual. What they don't tell you is that you have to have your foot on the brake during the procedure or it won't reset. Once you do reset it, however, it should default to 17,000kms or 11,000 miles. It will then adjust itself downward according to your driving habits (eg: highway driving vs. stop & go city driving, short trips vs. long hauls, etc.).

Kudos to the OP.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Door open, that must be where I was going wrong. I was trying it with the door closed and the key in the off position.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I think you can do it with the door closed, you just have to hit the button once to light up the odometer and then press it again and hold.

It does some serious rounding, and I think you may see INSP 1000 by checking it manually before it shows up automatically when you start the car.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm assuming INSP 0 means no miles left?

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Yes, INSP 0 means you are due for an oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
outtafocus
outtafocus is on a distinguished road

I had my oil changed just after christmas sometime.
The sticker the Chev dealer put on the windshield says april 25th for time when its due and around 11000km, I only just clicked over 9500kms.
Having come no where near the Kms and still not even the full 3 months my car is giving me the INSP 0 warning.

I havent done any long driving, nor lots of start stop driving. My car hasn't sat for any long period of time. Just my usual 10km to and from work daily with a mix of 100kph, 80kph and 60kph roads, only 2 traffic lights along the way.

My question is, could this be correct that I am due, or did the dealer forget to reset the OLM last time? I thought I had checked the OLM but I cant remember if I had done that before or after the last change.

This was my first oil change I had done and I had gone 6months of driving before I decided I wanted the oil changed and went in before the OLM had told me to go. I used standard oil, and I assume they changed the oil filter and didnt just say they did.

What do you think?

08 Astra XR/SRi 3Door, Star Silver, 18" Penta Alloys, Irmscher Boot Spoiler
16" SRi Alloys, Kumho I'Zen Winter Tyres, Yakima roof rack, Rockymounts Pitchfork,
Eonon D5107, Blue LED conversion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outtafocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outtafocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outtafocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

I would think that if they did not reset the monitor, it would have come on long before you put another 9500 klicks on it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
TBeck2000
TBeck2000 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I would bet money that the OLM had not been reset. 9500 km from when it left the factory would be a reasonable distance before the first change requirement under normal circumstances, IMO.

Many of us simply did not have normal circumstances and that influenced the timing of our first OLM notice. For instance, my OLM went off with about 1000 miles on the odometer, but it had sat on a dealer's lot for a long time.

I know on my Chevy Colorado, using the OLM, it wanted me to do the first oil change at 9000 miles. I had already changed the oil twice by then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TBeck2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TBeck2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TBeck2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

a chev dealer probably pumped the gas three times thinking they had reset the olm which of course only works on normal gm cars and not the astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Always verify the OLM has been reset. The dealer may say they did it, but the procedure is unique and they may not have done it right. If it isn't a Saturn dealer, make sure and tell them the instructions in the manual are wrong.

Or just reset it yourself if they don't do it right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!