SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Which oil and how much sludge are you getting under the oil fill cap?

I'm seeing some significant sludge under my valve cover. It doesn't concern me at this time but I don't want it to continually build up.

Basically my oil routine has been: I let Saturn of Austin change my oil once at about 2K miles and then I switched my Astra to Valvoline full synthetic 5-30W at about 6K miles. It got it's next oil change w/ Valvoline Syntec at about 16K and then just last night at about 26K. OIl filters always get changed at the same time as well.

I just reset my oil life monitor and just changed out my oil last night at 26K miles and was rather disappointed by what I saw under the oil fill cap. Noticable sludge for such a young engine.

Now I have a hot-rodded diesel truck that I pull the valve covers several times a year on and it looks just like the week the motor was first assembled under there running a variety of synthetic diesel motor oils. Perfectly clean shiny looking metal.

Now in the interest of full disclosure I did run MotorSilk thru the engine at one point and it's certainly possible that stuff clings to everything and is solely responsible for the sludge I'm seeing.

So my question to you guys is: Are you guys seeing any sludge? I tried to attach a photo I took w/ my oil cap off but it was too large. I then proceeded to take 30 minutes to try and reduce the size w/ no luck at all. If anyone can explain to me how to edit down and attach a way too large photo I'd love to attach it.

What oil are you guys using in your Astras and what is your current mileage?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Which oil and how much sludge are you getting under the oil fill cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I then proceeded to take 30 minutes to try and reduce the size w/ no luck at all. If anyone can explain to me how to edit down and attach a way too large photo I'd love to attach it.

Thanks.
If you are running windows 7 or vista you can use paint and then just go to re size photo and shrink by about 30-50 %

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Which oil and how much sludge are you getting under the oil fill cap?

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to reduce *.jpg. or *.tif files down to size acceptable for posting here.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Now in the interest of full disclosure I did run MotorSilk thru the engine at one point and it's certainly possible that stuff clings to everything and is solely responsible for the sludge I'm seeing.
I guess my big question would be why did you need to pour MotorSilk in a two year old engine?

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Suns_PSD

2008 Astra XR

Sorry but I would need dummy directions to reduce the file size.

I have Windows XP Pro. Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Well I just tried that for the previous 20 minutes w/ no luck at all.

Anyways, Motorsilk is for a motor of any age to improve mpg. I added it when my motor was almost brand new. My last 2 tanks I averaged over 32 mpg and it seemed like when I added that stuff some time ago my mpg shifted up a bit.

Also, I'm not sure the MotorSilk is actually the culprit. That is why I would like to compare to others.

Can anyone else verify by removing their oil cap and telling me what they see? Is it all shiny metal or do you have a light brown varnish on everything?
Pics would be nice.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Sorry but I would need dummy directions to reduce the file size.
Here you go. Not only directions, but it does the resizing for you.
http://www.picresize.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
aaronearles
aaronearles is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

For XP, you can use the MS Power Toy "Image Resizer"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Then you just right click an image, and click resize.

2008 Astra XR5 - Arctic White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaronearles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaronearles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaronearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I haven't seen any sludge, but 70% of my driving is highway so any moisture gets baked out every day. Sludge is usually what you get when oil mixes with water, so you either have excessive moisture (and aren't driving the car far enough to get it hot enough) or you could have a coolant leak.

Varnish, OTOH, is a different animal altogether.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Suns_PSD

2008 Astra XR

I think there is some other problem w/ the photo because even after cutting the size way down it won't download to my webshots account.

I run my car for extended periods of time on a regular basis so I don't think it's a moisture problem.

I guess I'm still waiting for a few other people to let me know what they see under their oil cap and which oil they have been running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think there is some other problem w/ the photo because even after cutting the size way down it won't download to my webshots account.

I run my car for extended periods of time on a regular basis so I don't think it's a moisture problem.

I guess I'm still waiting for a few other people to let me know what they see under their oil cap and which oil they have been running.
I took a quick look under my cap last night, it was near dusk, so couldn't see well, but it looked relatively clean. I don't have a decent digital camera, so a picture wouldn't help much.

I have about 9200 miles and still running dino. It is due for a change and will be getting Mobil 1 like my other cars.

Try attaching the file here, scroll down while replying and look for the "manage attachments" button in the additional options box.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Suns_PSD

2008 Astra XR

Attached:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dscn2338.jpg (140.1 KB, 78 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I'll have to take another look, but I don't think mine looks that "dirty."

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

...for pictures I would suggest download infranview for free. Its really nice, lets you pick jpg compression, lots of short cut keys for faster editing. Resize is Ctrl+R, save is S, crop is ctrl+Y.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i wouldnt go 10k on the oil, but thats me, and i know i wasting money.

try going about 5k with a synthetic made for diesels. they have more detergent.

my M3 has run dino for at least the last 90k. I dropped the oil pan and it looked like your cams - only my car has 183700 on it. it now has redline synthg. in it.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

IMO that is varnish, not sludge. You need to be using an oil with a high level of additives to dissolve it. Changing oil often and using a high quality oil prevents this type of buildup.

My SC with over 200k looked almost perfect. I used Castrol GTX in that car.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #16
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

Dont' worry about sludge in an Ecotec, they are easy on oil. Don't worry about synth oil either. I like to go by timed intervals for seasons. 2-3-4 times a year. Some people can go with a single change in a year, and yes, maybe synth oil is ok for that type of service.

Look at the new Pennzoil dino and the new Pennzoil Ultra.

Mobil 1 is bunk, I'd rather a store brand dino oil, not kidding.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Junkie View Post
Mobil 1 is bunk, I'd rather a store brand dino oil, not kidding.
I'll go with what my cousin saw when he worked at ford. he recently retired from GM so you can figure how far back this was.

They had an area with a bunch of motors running 24/7 at WOT until they die. Then they dissect the motor and measure every single piece. The mobil 1 car was still going strong when every other motor was dead. They let it run a while longer then tore it apart and the wear was non existent. YMMV but I wouldnt call Mobil 1 bunk.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
Suns_PSD

2008 Astra XR

Mobil 1 changed from being the best using a Base V stock to just being another one of the synthetic oils as they now use Base III stock. Change was made 2 or 3 years ago. Still a good product but certainly not as good.

I'm pretty certain that my varnish is simply due to the MotorSilk I ran when the car was new. I'll never do that again and I'm sure over the next dozen or so oil changes it'll clean up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

My best UOA's were with Mobil 1 5w20. Mobil 1's website said it is a Group IV synthetic using chemically created PAO's. They did not degrade to a Group III synthetic lubricant.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli..._V_Mineral.asp

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...es/Mobil_1.asp

The worst UOA I had was with Royal Purple 5w20. Even Blackstone labs commented that they felt Royal Purple was the cause for the increased engine wear.

I'm currently using Enesco 0w20 (Mercedes-Benz spec) syn oil. In a few months I'll be getting a UOA on this expensive oil.

I'm going back to Mobil 1 next oil change...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
The worst UOA I had was with Royal Purple 5w20. Even Blackstone labs commented that they felt Royal Purple was the cause for the increased engine wear.
But it's PURPLE!

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote