SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
alltrac88
alltrac88 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 sl2 just died

my fiance was driving about 30 and her car's engine just cut off. All the accessories and lights were still on. The battery and alternator are fine and she had enough gas. When we tried to start it up it just cranks and cranks forever. The check engine light has been on for about a year all it says is cylinder 1 random misfire. Ive changed the plugs countless times, and ign coil. Before this happened when you press the gas lightly the whole car shakes but when you floor the gas its smooth. And at idle it shakes too but not as bad. Please help it wont start for nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alltrac88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alltrac88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alltrac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 97 sl2 just died

First guess would be the CPS- if its not getting any spark. If it's not getting any fuel it would probably be the fuel pump. We really need more symptoms. Are you getting any spark? Usually you can hear the fuel pump-do you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Guess:
Are the plug wires routed correctly?
My dad had symptoms very similar and it was the ignition cables (plug wires).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
alltrac88

ok i have never changed the cps before. but its not one of the engine codes that came up. and the timing chain is fine just checked that. and the wires should be routed correctly, theyre all different lengths and they are connected according to their lengths. you know what i mean? and i believe i hear the fuel pump when i turn the key but im not sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alltrac88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
alltrac88

but i dont think it would be the cables if she was driving and it just cut off and didnt start again. We have driven with the cables the way they are for months

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
alltrac88

how do i tell if i have spark?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
hoseppi
Advanced Member

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

Find a spare spark plug(remove one if you don't have a spare) with the correct gap,hook one of your plug wires to it, and lay it on a metal part of the motor. Now have someone crank the engine as you watch the electrode end of the plug. You should see a bright bluish white spark. Since you now have an assistant, have them turn the key to the off position and then back to the on position as you listen to the fuel fill spout(open fuel door and remove cap). You should be able to hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds each time the key is turned to the run position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
alltrac88

thanks im going to try those things

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

An easier way to do this would be to remove the wires from the #4 and #1 ignition coils (noting firing order), then try starting the engine. If you see a spark across the towers, then you have spark.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
alltrac88

what could be wrong if the fuel pump turns on and i have spark?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
alltrac88

alright i tested the fuel pump and it works fine. So i guess all that leaves is spark. Im going to test that a little later. And if i have no spark do i need a cam position sensor or a crank position sensor? And what happens if i have spark too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

If you have no spark, you need a CRANKSHAFT position sensor, most likely.

If you have spark, further troubleshooting is needed.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You'll find the crankshaft position sensor behind and above the starter, mounted with one 10mm bolt. Buy it from any auto store stocking it.

To be absolutely sure its the cps, remove all the spark plug wires from the two ignition coils and watch for spark across the coil towers as someone turns the ignition key to the START position. The total lack of spark is from a failed cps. A (distant) similar failure would be the ignition control module; it holds the two ignition coils. More cps' fail than ignition control modules.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseppi View Post
Find a spare spark plug(remove one if you don't have a spare) with the correct gap,hook one of your plug wires to it, and lay it on a metal part of the motor. Now have someone crank the engine as you watch the electrode end of the plug. You should see a bright bluish white spark. Since you now have an assistant, have them turn the key to the off position and then back to the on position as you listen to the fuel fill spout(open fuel door and remove cap). You should be able to hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds each time the key is turned to the run position.
this is a good way to kill your coils and ICM, dont do it this way, ever. let the spark jump between the two posts on the same coil.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
hoseppi
Advanced Member

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

So testing your spark through a sparkplug will blow out your coil and icm...hmmmm- I always thought that was the way the ignition system worked. I do it all the time and I haven't lost one yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseppi View Post
So testing your spark through a sparkplug will blow out your coil and icm...hmmmm- I always thought that was the way the ignition system worked. I do it all the time and I haven't lost one yet.
yes because the plugs ground through the threads and into the cylinder heads and even with the threads touching something metal you wont get a good enough ground. but those coil can still put out enough energy to make a spark there, just not the best thing for them.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Oh yeah, about CAMSHAFT Position Sensors... our Saturns DO NOT have them. Generally, 9 times out of 10, if you get a CAMSHAFT code, it's time for new plugs/wires.

Just thought I'd clear this up for ya.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
Oh yeah, about CAMSHAFT Position Sensors... our Saturns DO NOT have them. Generally, 9 times out of 10, if you get a CAMSHAFT code, it's time for new plugs/wires.

Just thought I'd clear this up for ya.
and this is because our icm reads the inverse spark on the #4 (or is it #1) piston and sends that to the pcm as if its a camshaft position sensor.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

"Before this happened when you press the gas lightly the whole car shakes but when you floor the gas its smooth"

that is from the original post. So, did we rule out the TPS as a problem?

If the OP fixed the problem, what was it, we'd like to know.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
alltrac88

alright guys thanks for all the responses. i went to advance auto and bought a spark tester because someone said it could damage the coils if i didnt. And what do you know i have no spark at all. I tested cyl 1 wire from coil 1 and cyl 2 wire from coil 2 just to be sure it wasnt just a coil. So i guess that means I need a crankshaft position sensor.
Another question though: would a faulty cps make the car shake alot when you lightly press the throttle and shake a little at idle and it doesnt shake at all when you fully press it? Or does it need a tps as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!