SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Air Filter

The other day I had my VUE in for an oil change and the dealer recommended changing the air filter. How can one tell if the filter needs changing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Air Filter

Remove it and hold it up to the sunlight. If you can't easily see through the pleats, replace it. Or - replace it if it is obviously very dirty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Depending on where you live, particularly dusty areas the paper filter should be changed every 15,000 miles. They can go 20k but that's a push. You can always swap out a paper filter for another one. I recommend a K&N, it's washable and reusable. I bout mine at 10,000 miles and have over 105k on my VUE now. I've kept the same filter. Every other oil change I pop it out blow it out with compressed air and re-oil it. If it's really dirty, I'll rinse it out dry and re-oil.

It does cost a bit more, about $40 compared to $16, but I've saved all that money back. A re-oiling kit costs about $10 and I've only ever purchased one kit.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Modern air filters can go a very long time without needing a change if you drive in a relatively clean environment. If you drive off road or in dust storms than it may vary but under normal conditions they can go a long time. I typically have no need to change them for 50k miles or so. YMMV. Don't fall for the reusable products about all they can do is keep large debris out. A standard paper filter is your best value and in the life of the car (given normal conditions) you may only need 3 or 4 changes. Example: My SL2 has over 75k on it's filter. It still passes light and has no real "deposits" on it.
A modern paper filter has so much material in it it can go a long time. Oil change places will tell you it needs a new one of you replaced it the day before. Most people don't know different and it's a REALLY high profit item. Kinda like all the protection BS they sell you in the front office when you buy a new car. Its mostly all BS

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
surfstar
surfstar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Modern air filters can go a very long time without needing a change if you drive in a relatively clean environment. If you drive off road or in dust storms than it may vary but under normal conditions they can go a long time. I typically have no need to change them for 50k miles or so. YMMV. Don't fall for the reusable products about all they can do is keep large debris out. A standard paper filter is your best value and in the life of the car (given normal conditions) you may only need 3 or 4 changes. Example: My SL2 has over 75k on it's filter. It still passes light and has no real "deposits" on it.
A modern paper filter has so much material in it it can go a long time. Oil change places will tell you it needs a new one of you replaced it the day before. Most people don't know different and it's a REALLY high profit item. Kinda like all the protection BS they sell you in the front office when you buy a new car. Its mostly all BS
+1 good post

The 15k / 1 year was overuse just as a 3k / 3mo oil change is.

2005 Dragonfly Green 2.2L MTX Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to surfstar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help surfstar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Thanks! I don't understand why the dealership has never advised me of this item before. Where is the air filter located please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
The other day I had my VUE in for an oil change and the dealer recommended changing the air filter. How can one tell if the filter needs changing?
Take the filter out and look through it to the sun. If you can't see it and it just black, change it. If the filter lets the light through, keep on using it. In city driving, I'd change the filter every 3-4 years. If you area is city-dusty maybe 2. You can pick one up on ebay for $5 to $10 for stock replacement, about 5 minute job at home.
watch this video starting at about 25 seconds, car is different but filter is filter.

this is a different saturn car but same engine, watch on how to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote