SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
slimgoodie_5
slimgoodie_5 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default No heat..thermostat question

Ok i posted a similar question before but i now have another one. i flushed my radiator and replaced the thermostat in my 92 SL1. it seemed like the heat was working but it only lasted for a day or so. the hose that is coming from the thermostat takes a long time to get warm/hot unlike the hose that is coming from the top of the radiator. when a squeeze the hose from the thermostat my engine tends to idle up a lil bit. does that seem like something is wrong with the thermostat? the heat is barely working it just blows out warm air. any suggestions? i was told to put some cardboard over the radiator but with the SL1 i dont see a way to secure it. please help me with this since my wife drives this car more than i do and the next two weeks its suppose to be a cold one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slimgoodie_5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slimgoodie_5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slimgoodie_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
doublemm
doublemm is on a distinguished road

Default Re: No heat..thermostat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimgoodie_5 View Post
Ok i posted a similar question before but i now have another one. i flushed my radiator and replaced the thermostat in my 92 SL1. it seemed like the heat was working but it only lasted for a day or so. the hose that is coming from the thermostat takes a long time to get warm/hot unlike the hose that is coming from the top of the radiator. when a squeeze the hose from the thermostat my engine tends to idle up a lil bit. does that seem like something is wrong with the thermostat? the heat is barely working it just blows out warm air. any suggestions? i was told to put some cardboard over the radiator but with the SL1 i dont see a way to secure it. please help me with this since my wife drives this car more than i do and the next two weeks its suppose to be a cold one.
Check your coolant level. Esp if everything was working fine before you flushed it.

If you are just a quart or 2 low on coolant, you wont get much heat from the heater core.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to doublemm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help doublemm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
doublemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
original007
original007 is on a distinguished road

check the coolant temp in the bottle with a thermometer or if it does not seem hot,your finger. If it is hot you need to flush the heater core.If it does not get hot you have a thermostat issue.By flush I mean remove the hoses from the heater core and give it some pressurized water.Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to original007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help original007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
original007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
slimgoodie_5
slimgoodie_5 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

ok the coolant levels are fine, the temp stays at the half way make and the coolant in the reservoir overflow tank is warm/hot. so i guess i will need to get it flushed again? well this time i might take it to a shop to get it done? i did it with the pressured water but i guess it wasnt strong enough.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slimgoodie_5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slimgoodie_5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slimgoodie_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

First, I would check to make sure the flap that controls how much hot air is directed into the air ducts is working properly. Sounds like your coolant is getting plenty warm

You'll need to get up under the dash - when you move the heat lever back and forth, it moves a flap that lets more/less hot air into the ducts. I'm not familiar with 1st gen cars, but if you use the search feature, you may find some pictures/directions
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimgoodie_5 View Post
well this time i might take it to a shop to get it done? i did it with the pressured water but i guess it wasnt strong enough.
you shouldn't need a lot of pressure to flush the cooling system, especially the heater core - too much pressure can actually damage it.

Flushing the heater core is different from flushing the cooling system. You remove the hoses to the core itself and backflush it. The normal cooling system flush does not remove all the water from the core.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote