SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1
Default changed my thermostat and...

i'm still having a problem with the heater not really throwing out warm air. sometimes it does, sometimes it don't. what are my next steps?

i figure that the problem lies in either the heater core or the water pump. i have the fsm, but it's packed away because hopefully i'll be moving in a week or two. anyone have any experience with either of these? it's been a few years since i've changed a heater core and i can't remember a time when i changed a water pump. i'm hoping it's something much simpler...

s3aturnr

p.s. this is on my 1999 sl1...

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: changed my thermostat and...

Changing heater core is no fun. Exactly where is your temperature gauge reading when you are driving at 35-45mph with the heater blower OFF?

And, how many miles and what speed does it take for the gauge to reach this point?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Intermittent heat - is the blend door and control cable working properly?

Done any maintenance on the cooling system lately? Added stop-leak?

Not likely a water pump issue. That would bring on other symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

temp gauge is reading fine once the car heats up normally. it heats up in the normal timeframe (maybe 3 miles of driving or so). when i move from one vent to another, i can still feel the mechanical arm and it seems to have the same resistance as always. only maintenance i've done on the cooling system was the thermostat when it started doing this. most likely when i noticed that it was doing this. for all i know, it was doing it all summer long.

leaning towards clogged-up heater core, but still not convinced of anything. diagnosis is not my strong point.

also, the air that comes out doesn't seem to come out with very much force. i figure that this is due to years of neglect of the blower fan. (it's probably clogged full of **** from when my sister had the car).

i'm hoping that i can deal with this for another 3 or 4 weeks when i should have my new house with a garage to work in. i can drive one of my other cars while i tear this one apart, i guess.

thanks for the input! keep the ideas coming...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
temp gauge is reading fine once the car heats up normally.
Is the gauge reading 3/8+?

If so, I would try backflushing the heater core before replacing it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Lack of heat, first thing to do is to change the thermostat. Still no heat then back flush the heater core. Start at the surge tank and run the flush water through the heater core and the engine block.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
when i move from one vent to another, i can still feel the mechanical arm and it seems to have the same resistance as always.
Sounds like your t-stat is OK based on the gauge reading and warm up time.

Also you should head some change in the sound of air blowing through the heater vs. A/C core as the door moves. Need to be sure the blend door is moving at the other end of the cable from the lever.

If the door is confirmed to be moving properly, the core is the next likely suspect. There are several threads that discuss flushing (back flushing) the core.

FWIW: On my car, air flow tends to be modest (but still in steps per the switch) on all but the the high blower setting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
S3aturnR
Master Member

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Lack of heat, first thing to do is to change the thermostat. Still no heat then back flush the heater core. Start at the surge tank and run the flush water through the heater core and the engine block.
ok, i searched "back flush heater core" and got nothing useful. can you give me some cliff's-notes on this?

s3aturnr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Disconnect the hose at the intake manifold that connects to the heater core. Force water into the reservoir with a garden hose and allow it to flow from the disconnected hose. Repeat several times. You can pinch off the small hose into the block down by the thermostat to increase flow and pressure into the heater core.

Flush, resemble fill system with water and any automatic dishwasher soap and run engine till warm. Shut it off and let it cool and repeat. Do this with the reservoir cap off so you do not boil the system and make new problems. Then flush the entire system. Use a full gallon of 100% antifreeze when refilling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145455

Instructions posted early in the thread above, then diagram posted later

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote