SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
dgreen97
dgreen97 is on a distinguished road

Default What would cause car to sound very loud inside cabin? (not the exhaust)

I've made a few different posts on this subject but here is the rundown:

I have a 97 saturn sl2 with 147k on it. Around 3 years ago the car started to sound really loud inside the cabin (like an amplified version of the muffler) accompanied with vibration. The colder it is outside the louder the car is and the more evident the vibrations. I just replaced the muffler with a quiet flow premium one, I've checked the entire exhaust system front to back, and I've replaced the upper motor mount twice (the first time with anchor and now it has oem on it) and the transmission mount has been replaced. I also checked out the dogbones as well.

To describe what happens, if it is cold outside and I turn the car on it sounds relaly loud and deep inside while the front of the car shakes from vibration. After the car heats up from driving, their is barely a problem when the car is idle. However, when I press the gas at any rate it gets loud inside the car and the vibrations can be felt again.

The only thing i can think of anymore is that the clutch has a problem with it. Does anybody have any ideas on what else this could be? I'm pretty much at the end of the line here on what else to do and this loudness/vibration is driving me insane.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgreen97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgreen97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgreen97 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #2
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: What would cause car to sound very loud inside cabin? (not the exhaust)

exhaust leak? I mean that or the resonator isnt present in the intake.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Re: What would cause car to sound very loud inside cabin? (not the exhaust)

Examine the exhaust resonator. You probably have a hole in it. It's like a 2 1/2 foot pipe in the middle of your exhaust pipe. The factory original is designed like a tin can, cylinder with a cap on each end. They tend to develop a break on one of the ends at the seam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

Check your upper motor mount, if your saying you have vibration and it is loud than that is just the same thing mine was doing. To check it, if you can put your fingers between the top of the mount and the rubber, it needs to be changed.

Make sure you lossen the lower mount also, instal the new upper mount, then tighten the lower mount.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
01 sc2m mine
93 sc2m my sons
06 chevy 2500 crew 6.6 DMAX
99 sw2a converted to manuel now a race car
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
dgreen97

checked the upper mount.. still good. which piece in the exhaust is the resonator? is it the mesh piece right after the downpipe from the engine? i did examine this part and the seam on one end (where the mesh attaches) isn't attached anymore. i was wondering if this could cause the vibration i feel as well though and would it respond to temperature change?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dgreen97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Keep going down. The resonator is probably right under your seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

I can't edit my previous post. Here's a picture of the resonator circled in red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stockpipe.jpg (100.3 KB, 176 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Different years have different style resonators. My 97 has a glass pack shaped one which will probably last forever. My 98 had the crappy style with the crimped ends and it was replaced when it was only a few years old.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
dgreen97

thanks for pointing out where this piece was guys... do you think the resonator having a hole in it or the seams being damaged would cause vibration as well? the resonator may be the problem because its right under the cabin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
13racing
13racing is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

check the rubber grommets going through the firewall also,(wiring harness,steering i- shaft,shifter cables)if those grommets are out of place it will be loud in the cabin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 13racing's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 13racing reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
13racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
dgreen97

thanks for the tip... i checked the grommet covering the steering shaft and that one is on there. however i didn't check the other ones coming through the firewall so thats a good idea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Catalytic converter blown and no longer acting as a muffler? Since its honeycomb construction forces exhaust through it like a sieve to allow converson reaction, it also acts as a quasi muffler so a high mileage car may have burned it out and now its cracked with pieces falling apart to allow more exhaust flow but with less noise attenuation. Bang on the bottom of the catcon (when its cold); any broken and loose cat guts will rattle around.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
...and the transmission mount has been replaced.
OEM or third party? I found a new Anchor transmission mount to be unsatisfactory (worse) than the ~13 year old OEM mount it replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
dgreen97

it was an anchor mount. i'm actually checking it out right now on the car. how can i tell if the transmission mount is bad? I loosened up both dogbones already and I'm about to check the tranny mount. As for the cat converter, how would I be able to diagnose if this is causing the problem or not? I'm not discounting that it isn't but it's a pretty expensive repair just to guess at. Thanks for your suggestions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

fdryer told you what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Bang on the bottom of the catcon (when its cold); any broken and loose cat guts will rattle around.

Did you examine the resonator?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
how can i tell if the transmission mount is bad?
Look at the tranny mount picture among my photos to get an idea of the issue I ran into. If there is insufficient space between the frame and transmission side of the mount vibration will be coupled. But I am not sure what the distance should be in terms of a measurement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
dgreen97

i examined the resonator and the rest of the exhaust system all the way back. no noticeable problems. i also loosened and retightened both dogbones and the transmission mount to the frame today to let the engine settle in. i turned the car back on and the noise is still just as loud. i think i've ruled out the mounts now as the potential problem. really the only two things i have left that could possibly cause this is:

1. the flex pipe mesh part is frayed and both ends. it's not connected to the pipe anymore and i can spin it freely with my hand. not sure if this would cause the noise/vibration or not so maybe you guys know.

2. the clutch (or something in the clutch is bad). my guess is maybe the throw out bearing is going down the tubes but the only way to find that out is to take it all apart which is a pain.

as for the mesh flex piece, i know this is supposed to dampen engine vibration to the exhaust system. if the end is frayed and isn't connected to the pipe anymore, could this cause a noitcable vibration in the front end and make the car sound a lot louder inside? if you don't know what i mean by the frayed ends i can take a picture of it and post it on here.

thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen97 View Post
as for the mesh flex piece, i know this is supposed to dampen engine vibration to the exhaust system. if the end is frayed and isn't connected to the pipe anymore, could this cause a noitcable vibration in the front end and make the car sound a lot louder inside? if you don't know what i mean by the frayed ends i can take a picture of it and post it on here.

thanks for your help.
theres your loud noise.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
dgreen97

btw donp i think we were both having the same type of problems a year ago and we were posting on this forum. i'm going to take a look at your photos to see if my mount looks like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #20
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Look at the tranny mount picture among my photos to get an idea of the issue I ran into. If there is insufficient space between the frame and transmission side of the mount vibration will be coupled. But I am not sure what the distance should be in terms of a measurement.
My mount definitely looks like the right mount in your pics.
I wonder if I should replace it, the OEM one looks to be 1/2" thicker when new..

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote