SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
keautocenter
keautocenter is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2002 SL1
Cool 58.25 Hwy. MPG!

Previous Thread, "JUST GOT 54 MPG! Looking for more!"

204.99 Interstate Highway Miles on 3.519 Gallons = 58.25 MPG!

VEHICLE: 2001 Saturn SL1 5 Speed, 112,XXX miles.

MODS: 1. O2 EFIE set at .975 high side volts

2. Hot Air Intake

3. Insulated Fuel Heater

4. Insulated Fuel line and rail

5. One size bigger tires @ 40 PSI

6. Air Dam Aero Mod

7. Reposition and Insulated IAT Sensor

RECENT SERVICES: 1. Cleaned Sludge out of Intake Manifold 2. Cleaned Carbon out of the Secondary Air Injection System Exhaust Manifold Tube 3. Added 1 Quart of ATF to engine crankcase oil

CONDITIONS: 1. Not wind aided 2. No hypermiling 3. No coasting 4. No drafting 5. Air Conditioning off 6. 57-59 MPH 7. Shell V-Power Gas 8. Gas tank filled to the brim before/after

Gas Gauge at 150+ Miles! Looking real good!

Gas Gauge at 200+ Miles! (200+ miles after mileage correction due to tire size increase) Notice No SES Light!

Notice higher on fill side! Thanks for letting me use your jacket, honey!

Notice higher in rear!

1. FILL TO THE BRIM! 2. SHAKE CAR SIDE TO SIDE AND UP AND DOWN! 3. FILL TO THE BRIM! 4. SHAKE CAR SIDE TO SIDE AND UP AND DOWN! 5. FILL TO THE BRIM! 6. SHAKE CAR SIDE TO SIDE AND UP AND DOWN! 7. FILL TO THE BRIM! 8. SHAKE CAR SIDE TO SIDE AND UP AND DOWN! 9. GAS IS STILL FILLED TO THE BRIM! 10. SHAKE CAR SIDE TO SIDE AND UP AND DOWN! 11. GAS IS STILL FILLED TO THE BRIM! 12. WAIT 5 MINUTES! 13. GAS STILL FILLED TO THE BRIM! 14. SHUT GAS PUMP OFF!

WHAT? 204.99 MILES ON ONLY 3.519 GALLONS?

204.99 MILES ON ONLY 3.519 GALLONS? WAIT......! THAT'S 58.25 MPG! YES!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keautocenter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keautocenter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keautocenter is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: *************** 58.25 Hwy. MPG! ******************

...I remember this one time where someone posted they got kickass gas mileage due to overinflated tires (IIIRC it was 54 or 55 PSI), and of course several other things... seriously man, keep the tires inflated to PROPER specification, it does no good if you lose control, be reckless, or wear down your tires faster if you get all that MPG. the savings will usually come back either for new tires (since you wore em down prematurely) or to pay off that ticket. also, doesn't using bigger or smaller tires than what it's designed for affect your odometer readings anyway, unless it's been PROPERLY reset/calibrated?

Seriously dude, DO NOT sacrifice safety (yours and everyone else's) for fuel economy. PLEASE.

I appreciate you actually putting in more gasoline this time instead of one gallon till the motor stalls. you could've also used your just got 54mpg thread to post this in as well. I'm almost certain the Shell V-power gasoline is 93 octane fuel, right? I bet if you used the 87, you could get a couple more MPG (I did..) Also when it comes to your previous MPG tests and risking gunking/breaking the fuel pump, etc. sure your tank may have been cleaned out, but the crap has to go SOMEWHERE.. either stuck in the fuel pump, your lines/rails, fuel injectors, and/or worse.. in the engine

...wait a second.. where's your MAIN odometer? there's NO WAY an s-series has less than 3,000 miles on the clock unless it's NEVER been used.

On another note, overfilling your gas tank is a BAD idea. your fuel needs room to expand, and I'd bet somewhere in the first 30 miles or so (especially on a hot day) you'd be screwed.

...yeah, I think I'll just wait till someone posts they can get kickass fuel economy out of a Saturn without doing anything dangerous or illegal. BTW, your IAT sensor goes into your INTAKE for a reason. Any particular reason why the cone filter is in front of your exhaust manifold? It should be near the battery, where you can connect the IAT sensor to your intake pipe.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 08-19-2009 at 02:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Oh god... now you're going to bring in all the MPG tree huggers. Let me ask you a question real quick... and don't lie. Are you real easy on the throttle and watch your RPMS, or do you just drive?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
Oh god... now you're going to bring in all the MPG tree huggers.
whose gonna bring in the tree hugging liberal MPG people.. keautocenter or me? if it's me, I'm just calling out what all is wrong with his methods (yet again, although it's gonna fall on deaf ears, AGAIN.)

On another note, I'm sure Volkswagen did a better job of doing so.. last I heard the diesel jetta can get over 60MPG or so...

With all these mods, I'd like to see if it'd pass a safety inspection (in whatever areas do it.)

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

The OP. I hope that they understand that filling your car up to the top, or even more than once the pump shuts off, is a bad idea. Ever heard of a evap canister?

Don't get me started on the TDI. I'll have to represent. lol That is while driving normal. Not to mention the 246ft lbs of torque and a 0-60 faster than the GTI which has 200hp and 200tq. You can get over 50 even while driving hard.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
The OP. I hope that they understand that filling your car up to the top, or even more than once the pump shuts off, is a bad idea. Ever heard of a evap canister?
oh ok.

also, on another note, overfilling the gas tank can cause fires too.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I'm almost certain the Shell V-power gasoline is 93 octane fuel, right? I bet if you used the 87, you could get a couple more MPG (I did..).

Doesn't running a lower octane fuel decrease your fuel economy? I know its not much, but I never heard of it increaseing the MPGs.

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
keautocenter

2001 SL1
2002 SL1
Cool Re: *************** 58.25 Hwy. MPG! ******************

adventureoflink, Ahhh.............

OnDaGround, I drive like a little old man on a Sunday drive, and I'm not lying!

cola, The only reason that I use Shell V-Power is because it is the only gas that I can find around here without ethanol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help keautocenter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Doesn't running a lower octane fuel decrease your fuel economy? I know its not much, but I never heard of it increaseing the MPGs.
Well, the last couple times I took a long trip, I used 93 octane fuel and 87 octane fuel. Using 93 I got ~32.5MPG, and using 87 I got ~33.12MPG.

both trips were completed using a cone filter attached to a "homemade" WAI.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

4. Insulated Fuel line and rail

Is that line copper or Cunifer? Any movement in the line when the engine is running?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keautocenter View Post
OnDaGround, I drive like a little old man on a Sunday drive, and I'm not lying!
Then what is the point? To get a couple more MPG? How much does it get if you drive normal?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
doesn't using bigger or smaller tires than what it's designed for affect your odometer readings anyway, unless it's been PROPERLY reset/calibrated?
Pretty sure the OP accounts for that.
Quote:
...wait a second.. where's your MAIN odometer? there's NO WAY an s-series has less than 3,000 miles on the clock unless it's NEVER been used.
I'm gonna guess that's the trip odometer.

Quote:
On another note, overfilling your gas tank is a BAD idea.
Yeah but mostly because it'll go into the evap system like ODG mentioned, and that's meant for vapors, not being filled with gas
Quote:
Any particular reason why the cone filter is in front of your exhaust manifold?
To pull in hot air - it's an intentional mod for mileage
Quote:
Well, the last couple times I took a long trip, I used 93 octane fuel and 87 octane fuel. Using 93 I got ~32.5MPG, and using 87 I got ~33.12MPG.
Need to run more samples for accurate results Octane shouldn't normally affect your mpg. Maybe if you had something weird like detonation from a way too lean a mixture and your PCM was retarding timing way back or something

Something simple like your engine already being warm, or the air in your tires being warm, or you were going slightly downhill in one direction and up in the next could account for the change.

Not sure what the whole "lift the left rear up" thing was about - trying to put more gas in?

keeautocenter, congratulations on your new personal best of... well, whatever it is you're trying to do

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I am thinking of blocking off the fake "scoops" molded into my bumper fascia. With plastic material similar to the bumper but haven't found it yet. Also stuffing foam pipe insulation between the hood and lights to reduce drag.

What is an "O2 EFIE" ?

Oh yeah the tires, my original size is 175/70-14 and I replaced them with 175/65-14 because Wal Hell didn't have the original ones.
The 175/65 are 97% as tall, so they give 97% of the gas mileage. But their "J" is less so I think it evens out.
I kept them at 34 psi but the car slid on wet pavement. So back to 30 front/
26 rear.

BUT I am looking for 165/75-14 for my next ones. Narrower so therefore less drag. Haven't found such an animal yet. I wonder if you could put Euro tires on this Saturn, 165-SR14? With 80% aspect ratio?

Beetle bugs got by with 155-15 tires. even less drag.

It's all in the name of science

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
keautocenter

2001 SL1
2002 SL1
Cool Re: *************** 58.25 Hwy. MPG! ******************

Bruce Rock, If you look at this picture closely, you can see where I spliced in the copper line. Altogether, I only cut out about 3" of the original line. The inlet end is not insulated. The output end of the copper and the rest of the original line is insulated all the way to the fuel rail, but in this picture, you can see where I spliced it back into the original line. I even used the same original fuel line mounting brackets. Therefore, the fuel line does not move any more then the original would have. The inside diameter of the original line is almost exactly 3/8". It's just a wee little bit smaller. I trimmed the outer rubber surface off of the line and lubed it good and slid the copper inside and then clamped it. It takes some real effort to get the copper in an inch or so. It has not leaked at all in over 6 months of use. I do also have the fuel rail insulated as well. Hot water pipe insulation is what I used. I did trim it so that it is snug against the fuel line surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
seriously man, keep the tires inflated to PROPER specification,
Which is designated by the tire.

Nice job OP. Although, I would stop at the first click from the same pump for truly accurate results. anything more induces human error.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Which is designated by the tire.
It's actually designated by the tire and the car on which it's installed. The tire has a MAXIMUM inflation marked on the sidewall. A given tire of a given size can be installed on a wide range of cars, with a wide weight range. You wouldn't inflate the tires to the same pressure for every car on which a given tire of a given size can be installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

Forcing in fuel after the pump clicks off many times over means you are introducing fuel to possibly the EVAP canister and error in your mileage accuracy...

Also, did you do a base line mileage test stock first to compare?

Fooling the ECU into injecting less fuel works for mileage but what about damage to the engine from excessively lean mixtures? Burnt valves maybe.

What about when you want to accelerate in an emergency situation and you have no power?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
What about when you want to accelerate in an emergency situation and you have no power?
Simple, you downshift one and you get power! He can, cuz it's a manual.

Autotragics, unfortunately cannot. except the ones in the Saturn Aura, and even still you'd have to set it to M and use the knob on the steering wheel.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.... Autotragics, unfortunately cannot. except the ones in the Saturn Aura, and even still you'd have to set it to M and use the knob on the steering wheel.
Heh-heh, so you're saying my '03 L300 V6 4-speed shiftless autotragic didn't blow by 5-10 cars on some morning drives? I seem to recall doing a leisurely 55-60 in the left lane and decided to do an end run around traffic by simply pressing my lame right foot down a little and my normal 2700rpm drive suddenly jumps to 5k, 6k rpm and traffic seem like they're going backwards? You don't seem to understand how autotragics works for us shiftless drivers. Oh, and I leave mine in "D".

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #20
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: 58.25 Hwy. MPG!

hey, OP congrats

Do you think the car will hold up just as well, justifying all the work you've done? Is the longevity of the engine affected in anyway and do you have to do more maintenance to the car?

jw about all of this because I'd like more mileage as Im sure we all would but I dont even know if it is worth it to do the work much less affect the longevity of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote