SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Loaner car?

Are our dealers required to give us a loaner car if our cars are in for warranty issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Loaner car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
Are our dealers required to give us a loaner car if our cars are in for warranty issues?
Not all dealers have loaner cars, loaner car issuance is at the discretion of the individual dealership, but they are required to hook you up/foot the bill of a rental car for warranty work that takes so long. Depends on the manufacturer what the policy is (how long). Not sure what it is for Saturn offhand, take a look in the manual it should be in there somewhere, if not give customer service a call they will tell you, but i'm pretty sure it can be found in the manual. Its GM's policy, so your Saturn Dealership cannot refuse a rental, if the work is warranty work. They can refuse a loaner cause they dont have to have them, and like I said, is entirely up to them when they issue loaners or not.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

No on the loaner car, as Layoira pointed out, insurance premiums pretty much killed that concept. Depending on issue and length of required service, they may pay for a rental though. I don't think they are required to, but there might be something in the fine print of the warranty.

My dealer gave me a free rental a couple years ago when I had to leave my VUE overnight and had somewhere to be first thing the next day, but a few years before that when my SC2 was in for warranty work, they only offered a discounted rental. Normally, they just offer the shuttle service which will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
astraglide
astraglide is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've had my car in for warranty work and oil changes, a loaner was offered every time by my dealer. I've taken them up a couple of times. Last weeks loaner was a fully loaded Outlook, I was a little disappointed when the two day warranty repair turned out only to take half a day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to astraglide's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help astraglide reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
astraglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
No on the loaner car, as Layoira pointed out, insurance premiums pretty much killed that concept. Depending on issue and length of required service, they may pay for a rental though. I don't think they are required to, but there might be something in the fine print of the warranty.

My dealer gave me a free rental a couple years ago when I had to leave my VUE overnight and had somewhere to be first thing the next day, but a few years before that when my SC2 was in for warranty work, they only offered a discounted rental. Normally, they just offer the shuttle service which will take you pretty much anywhere you need to go.
Yeah they are required to give you a rental for warranty work IF you meet whatever Saturn's criteria is for length of time, because its a stipulation of your warranty. Its available somewhere, I dont know it offhand, its in the warranty info in the manual i'm pretty sure. If they don't/can't give you one,(for example you live in the middle of nowhere and there's no rental car companies near you) you can get your own rental, OR you can use someone elses vehicle or public transport and it will be reimbursed by Saturn (GM).

Don't go out getting rentals without checking your eligibility though lol cause GM wont send you a cheque in the mail and reimburse you unless you absolutely deserve it especially now lol

The only time Saturn gave me a loaner to date, was outside of warranty work, when they messed up themselves and damaged my wheel. I had a new VUE for almost a week lol while they messed about fixing the damage they did to my wheel when mounting a tire.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
sccannon
sccannon is on a distinguished road

My dealer used to do loaners but when I took my car for service a couple of months back he said that he had to change the policy because of people not taking car of the cars. He said one came back totaled. They did set me up with a rental since they had some warranty work to do also.

Chris
2008 Sandstone Astra XR 5 door
Automatic
Sport Handling Package
Premium Audio Package
Sunroof and 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sccannon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sccannon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sccannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Last time I went in I asked for a loaner. The lady said they didn't have any loaner cars at the moment. I smiled and pointed to the lot and said, "it looks like you have plenty of cars!" Of course they won't loan you a new one.

My dealer has loaner cars. The say "Saturn Courtesy Car" on the side.

One time I was waiting for service and the owner asked if I needed a car to run some errands or shop to pass the time. I said "sure, if I can get a Sky." No go. It was worth a try.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
thrilhouse
thrilhouse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I had my Astra in about two weeks ago for the serpentine belt tensioner issue that a few of us are having. Since the issue is more prevalent on a cold engine, they had to keep the car for several hours. They asked if I needed a shuttle ride anywhere...I asked if they had loaner cars since I had other appointments to keep that morning. They arranged for a free loaner for me. I got a 2006 Impala that was pretty beat, but now I want a big car...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrilhouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrilhouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrilhouse is offline   Reply With Quote