SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #1
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default LW 300 melting taillights

This is a 2001 model year wagon, the tail light lenses appear to be melting on the inside, since this was purchased used, I'm unsure of the history here.

I understand there was a recall or TSB on this swapping out the bulbs to another type.

Was this common, & what should be in there, I can't recall the #'s offhand, but it appears there is a different bulb in their now than the manual specified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: LW 300 melting taillights

Recall was not for the bulbs, recall was for the stamped metal plate in the light assembly getting warped. You should check with the dealer and see if the recall was done.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
KLS1P
KLS1P is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It is common for someone to replace a tail light or brake bulb with whatever is available. Many different wattages are available with the same bulb base style. Always go with the manufacture's bulb number in the owners manual. A parts supplier may make a generic substitution, but the wattage may be too high. A bulb that is too hot may cause the plastic to melt. The recall was for bad connections at the assembly board, if the board connections failed the light assembly woud not work properly, not overheat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
Recall was not for the bulbs, recall was for the stamped metal plate in the light assembly getting warped. You should check with the dealer and see if the recall was done.
The car was purchased like this used, & I noticed the blemish a few days after he purchased it (Actually my dads car). The dealer report actually mentioned that the bulb replacement was done there, the dealer said the sockets were replaced & a different bulb was used, & said the melt on the tail lamp did not merit replacement. (I'm winging from memory here). I am noticing that the lense is now getting opaque on the inside & bubbling, but the strange thing is he seldom if ever drives the car an night, & puts very low mileage on the car.

I'm going to look in to the real details of this, , what bulbs should be used in the rear assembly (remember this is the Wagon).?? I was going to use LED bulbs as they may had been cooler when it was purchased to prevent further damage, but the dealer assured that the problem was fixed.

As mentioned hotter bulbs could have been subbed, as I remember the 161's were used in Chrysler Dashboards (& for good reason too!!!)... In fact I use 161's in most all the glass wedge applications now, a bit brighter & for some reason they burn cooler & have a longer life.... they are just very hard to find.

Isn't Tail Lenses a safety item?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Garciavision
Garciavision is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I noticed plastic housing melted around brake light bulb when I replced a few months ago. Glad I did recall a few years back. I have heard of possible fire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Garciavision's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Garciavision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Garciavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garciavision View Post
I noticed plastic housing melted around brake light bulb when I replced a few months ago. Glad I did recall a few years back. I have heard of possible fire
Plastic housing, you are refering to the lense??

Exactly what is happening here, but the record shows the dealer replaced the sockets, & the bulbs, I can't see why this is getting worse?

Saturn refuses to replace the lenses, claiming the problem was corrected with whatever they did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Garciavision

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I refer to the gray plastic housing the metal contacts was melted. I hope the melt was from few years ago before the recall. got stumped when changing bulb a few months back because they are new plug in and not old twist in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Garciavision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garciavision View Post
I refer to the gray plastic housing the metal contacts was melted. I hope the melt was from few years ago before the recall. got stumped when changing bulb a few months back because they are new plug in and not old twist in
I pulled the bulbs, these is a 3157XX bulb with a right angle socket. These are a plastic based bulb. Is this the correct bulb & socket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Garciavision

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

sounds correct. They store can look it up on computer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!