SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
jonnycube
jonnycube is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default I broke my Saturn.

Today I attempted Wolfman's easy gas gauge fix. Suffice it to say I failed, but that's not what I'm concerned with now.

My happy, healthy Saturn won't start. I have lots of electricity - dash lights, headlights, all of it. When I turn the key nothing happens. No sounds - nothing. I cannot hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key.

Aside from probing the three wires related to the fuel gauge, the only other thing I did was probe the trunk light (Don't ask. I'm curious.) In the midst of my probing, the bulb went dead. I'm sure I did something terrible to it. On the one hand, I don't see how this could possibly be related to my car starting, but on the other hand, it's the only thing I did. I checked out the fuel pump fuse, but it's just a big block. I can't tell if it's bad or not.

Prompt advice would be greatly appreciated - I'm sort of stranded. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonnycube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonnycube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonnycube is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: I broke my Saturn.

In the underhood fuse box, check the IP BAT fuse, its one of the big green ones.

Does the check engine light come on when you first turn on the key?

Does the chime work?

Does the dome light work?

Put the year and model that is having the problem in the post so everyone knows which one is broke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
jonnycube

1997 SL2

This is a 97 SL2. (Sorry I didn't state this earlier.)

The IP BAT fuse is fine.

The chime works when I turn the key. Lights that come on and stay on: SES, battery, oil, parking brake. Seat belt light flashes on and off. Air bag light comes on when I turn the key, but goes off soon.

The dome light is out too (in addition to the trunk light that I fried). It was working before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonnycube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
jonnycube

1997 SL2

I also probed my key while it was in the ignition, as well as the clutch pedal. Could this have done something to the ignition switch or the clutch pedal switch? I thought a little 12 volt circuit tester was fairly harmless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
jonnycube

1997 SL2

The trunk release lever has also stopped working.

I found this on about.com:
"When you try to start the car, the lights should either dim (a lot) or turn off completely. If they do, your ignition switch should be ok. If not, the switch will need replacement."

My lights neither dim nor go out when I turn the key. Should I go out and buy an ignition switch?

The car is a manual. Should I be able to kick start it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
jonnycube

1997 SL2

Since I haven't heard from anyone, I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem as best I can. Here's an update.

I push-started the car (In reverse!) and it's running. From what I've been able to figure out, I must have somehow fried some of the electrical components. I have no idea how probing a few things would do this. The probe light never even lit up - that is the reason I was trying lots of different places.

These have stopped working:
Trunk light
Dome light
Power locks
Power mirror (passenger's side)
And, I'm guessing, the ignition switch.

Everything else works: Headlights, AC, radio, rear defroster, dash lights.

When I got the car running after push starting, I saw a dash light I've never seen: "Service", with a little wrench by it. Would this light up because I took out the fuse for the air bag (when I was trying to get to the ignition switch), or is it more likely the result of me screwing up all the electrical components?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Put the air bag fuse back in. As soon as I get a chance now that I know the year and whats broke I will look at a drawing. Don't poke around any more

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, check the BODY fuse in the I/P panel. Its on the right side of the center console.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
jonnycube

1997 SL2

OldNuc, seriously, I want to send you a present or something. I know it's not a big deal to you, but I'm thrilled. My car is back to normal. Thank you.

I've been learning a lot about cars - now I need to learn something about electricity. And soon I'm going to have a lot of questions about why the "easy" fuel gauge fix went wrong. But not tonight. I've been at this for hours.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Your more than welcome. Got a link to the fuel gauge fix?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Your more than welcome. Got a link to the fuel gauge fix?
Its in the how-to library. Wolfman wrote it

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, I can see how that little trick could get out of hand real quick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #13
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
OK, I can see how that little trick could get out of hand real quick.
haha yes. Especially when you go probing other things at the same time haha

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote