SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
pr0cess0r
pr0cess0r is on a distinguished road

Default sl1 99 no high beam need your help.

hello i need you help to fix my high beam they dont work.

the DRL are working that mean bulb are good.

any idee where to start ??

any pin i can jump to see if its a bad relay ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pr0cess0r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pr0cess0r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pr0cess0r is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
cocacolacowboy
cocacolacowboy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: sl1 99 no high beam need your help.

drls don't mean good bulbs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cocacolacowboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cocacolacowboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cocacolacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
pr0cess0r

ok i whas thinking that DRL use high in series meaning that they are good no?

any sugestion then ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pr0cess0r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
MechCb
MechCb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0cess0r View Post
ok i whas thinking that DRL use high in series meaning that they are good no?

any sugestion then ?
Have you pulled the bulbs to check the filament in the bulbs? You should have two filaments per bulb. Both should be intact. If not, that's your problem. If they are intact, maybe it's a switch issue....

I drive a Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MechCb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MechCb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MechCb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
akulahawk
akulahawk is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolacowboy View Post
drls don't mean good bulbs
IIRC, the DRL circuit uses the highbeam lamps themselves... so if they light up, the bulbs themselves are good. I would also imagine that a good chunk of the wiring is also good. I'd be thinking about the high/low switch and the high beam fuse (if any), and the wiring from them. At least that's what I'd be looking for at first.

I'm assuming that the 99 SL1 uses 2 separate bulbs for high and low beam. If they're one bulb units, it would depend upon which filament the DRL system uses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akulahawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akulahawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
pr0cess0r

there is one or 2 filament ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
akulahawk

1997 SL2

Quote:
there is one or 2 filament ?
A better question is:
Does your car have separate bulbs for high and low beams? The answer may make some troubleshooting easier by possibly removing the bulbs from the equation.

When the DRL's come on and then you turn on the headlights, do different light bulbs light up and others turn off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help akulahawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
MechCb

Yea, you have two bulbs-one for your DTL's/High beams and one for your regular headlights. The one for your regular headlights is a single filament, and the other one is a double filament. So since your DTL's are working, that means you're getting power to the bulb. Since you're getting power to the bulb, that means that either
A: your high beam filaments are out
or
B: your switch isn't getting power to your high beam filament for some reason. It's not the fuse though, otherwise you wouldn't have your DTLs.

I looked at my fusebox for something else these last few days and everytime I saw it, I only saw a fuse for the right and left side headlights. I didn't see anything for the highbeams-but it never hurts to look and see if I just overlooked it since I wasn't specifically looking for it. I have the same year/model saturn as you though.

I drive a Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MechCb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
pr0cess0r

there is 2 set of light high and low im prety sure they have one filament.
when i start the car woth no hand brake high beam turn on has DRL when i turn the light on the low beam turn on and drl off when i put it on high no more light but the high beam on dash light

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
pr0cess0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechCb View Post
Yea, you have two bulbs-one for your DTL's/High beams and one for your regular headlights. The one for your regular headlights is a single filament, and the other one is a double filament. So since your DTL's are working, that means you're getting power to the bulb. Since you're getting power to the bulb, that means that either
or
B: your switch isn't getting power to your high beam filament for some reason. It's not the fuse though, otherwise you wouldn't have your DTLs.

I looked at my fusebox for something else these last few days and everytime I saw it, I only saw a fuse for the right and left side headlights. I didn't see anything for the highbeams-but it never hurts to look and see if I just overlooked it since I wasn't specifically looking for it. I have the same year/model saturn as you though.
you are right about the fuse ! and they are good thx.

too bad i dont have my tester with me i will buy new buld tomorow and try this!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
MechCb

Quote:
when i start the car woth no hand brake high beam turn on has DRL when i turn the light on the low beam turn on and drl off when i put it on high no more light but the high beam on dash light
If the dash light is coming on, that means the switch is doing what it needs to do. So my money is on you needing new DRL/Highbeam bulbs. All you gotta do is pull the bulb and look at it. If the filament(I'm not sure which one is your highbeam filament) is wiggling, hanging, or anything else other than straight accross, it's busted. If it is straight accross, flick the bulb with your finger once and see if it shakes. If it does, then it's broken. Flicking the bulb will not brake it-it provides the same amount of shock to the bulb as if you were to hit a pot-hole.

I drive a Saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
pr0cess0r

thx for the help i look at this and give you feedback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
akulahawk

1997 SL2

Good switch, good fuses, only thing left is to replace the bulbs. Even those should be inexpensive...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
ahimsa1
ahimsa1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

I got a set of high-beam bulbs on Ebay for $9.50 including shipping - a lot less than my local auto parts stores had them for, so if you don't mind waiting a few days that might be a good way to go. I searched by the part number, which is 9055.

97 SW1 Auto 174k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ahimsa1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ahimsa1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ahimsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Step one is to check for power to the high beam bulbs. If you have power then check to see if you have ground.
No power then you need to find out why.
No ground same thing, find out why.

If you have power and ground then it is the bulbs. Not common for both high beam bulbs to go bad at the same time but it can happen.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
pr0cess0r

i will have to look at mitchell on demand for wiring diagram i made a test with a test light neg to engine for gnd and positive to light socket both pin have power is it normal?? its not supposed to have one wire diretly to gnd and the other to 12v

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Should only have ground when lights are turned on. Lights off then no ground unless you have the key on and then the DRL circuit will ground the light through the other side. The positive side is always hot. Check the wiring diagram.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #18
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechCb View Post
or
There is no such thing as DTLs. The 9005 high-beam/DRL bulb is single-filament, not double. If the DRLs are working, the bulbs are good.

Likewise, there is no separate voltage regulator. The thermostat is in the lower rad hose block housing. There's no flywheel magneto. There's no fan belt. There's no upper control arm. There's no flower vase in the door pillar.

Back on topic: when you switch to the high-beams, do the low-beams go off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #19
bprimerano
bprimerano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Looking at the wiring diagram, I would guess the problem is a bad connection from the underhood junction box to the Hi/Lo switch. The pink wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bprimerano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bprimerano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bprimerano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
pr0cess0r

low go off and high light in the dash .

i have remove the fuse box and found that the is some corosion insite the distribution plate if i can name ti like this.

its the plate with pins on both side and that have all the jumper wires inside.

maybe water entered this plate and coroded some of those jumper wire since my splash guard is very very bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!