SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
clean93
clean93 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Not starting. Single click. Now no click

93 SATURN SL2, AUTOMATIC, 140K ORIG. STARTER. Car has been taking longer and longer to start and now stopped for gas got back in to start and just got a single click, tried several times kept getting single click (starter solenoid), had battery tested ( good ). Installed battery back now no click at all. All lights work, horn blows, chime works when doors open and keys in. Someone just verify with me that I should be taking starter to get checked based on these symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clean93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clean93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clean93 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Not starting. Single click. Now no click

I would suspect that the starter is bad and is ready for replacement. Understand that the process of removal and replacement tends to jar then back into operation just long enough to leave you stranded. Don't be surprised if it tests OK. Its probably the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
jeremu
jeremu is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1993 SW1

It also could be your battery cable, or even your battery.

I know this sounds kinda obvious, but clean your battery posts and the cables.
If that doesn't work replace your battery cable or at least test it.

You might want to blow my advice off, but it took me $200 and 2 days to find out that my $10 battery cable was bad.

NOTE:
If you test your battery cable test the load not just the Volts. My Volts were +12V, but on the load it went way down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeremu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeremu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeremu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I'll second OldNuc on this. But have the Battery tested as well.

The starter needs replaced. Buy a new NSA starter, they are the equivalent size of the original Valeo starter. They go for about $150.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Battery test. Turn on headlights shining on a wall where you can see them. Turn key to crank. If the lights go out the cable(s) are bad, and if not its the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote