SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2
Default How to get off the rear deck/whatever its called

How do you get the rear deck thing (the thing that covers the speakers) off? I was trying to get it off to see how difficult it is if I want to replace my speakers at some point. I took out the plastic clips that hold it in. But it wouldn't budge. I noticed the little fabric piece that goes between the end of the seats and the door. Then I noticed that there was a clip/snap behind that that needed to be pushed out. Then when I shoved that back I looked behind it and noticed another little clip down by the door. But then I noticed that the whole thing was tucked behind the plastic piece that goes along the headliner. I consulted my haynes manual, but the information was basically wrong, because it looked like the car they were taking apart in the book is a 1994 SL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1
Default Re: How to get off the rear deck/whatever its called

I always get at my speakers from the trunk. No need to remove the rear deck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

I don't see how that's possible, they lift out of the top. You can't get to them from inside the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The factory stock come out the top. i believe theer is a picture of allof the pins at different racing site. http://www.differentracing.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The factory stock come out the top. i believe theer is a picture of allof the pins at different racing site. http://www.differentracing.com/
I couldn't find it there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Well, thats poor...

Try this.
There are 6 retaining pins into the front of the rear deck panel, 2 on each side are a part of the rear side panel attaching pins. and the 2 remaining are on either side of the center. There are also 2 retainers in the horizontal surface to remove. the grand total is 8 of these things. Bow up the center of the paneal and work it out from one side. That ought to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Kaervak
Kaervak has a spectacular aura aboutKaervak has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Richpin knows all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mchytppo8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I bet every year and model is different. Or at least every generation and model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
Thanks! I should have tried searching youtube for a richpin video. Now I just have to buy some speakers and an aftermarket head unit. I'm hoping to find a cheap one on black friday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The sales are already underway. Check the returns at Crutchfield, bargains to be had cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

I just bought a JVC Headunit and two pairs of Alpine speakers, it was 49.99 each of the pairs of speakers, and 99.99 for the head unit. Everything is $50 below the regular price! And the headunit comes with a free antenna adapter, wiring harness, and the plastic frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon View Post
I always get at my speakers from the trunk. No need to remove the rear deck.
Not possible on these cars. Unless you know how to get a 6-3/4" speaker out of a 5" or so diameter hole.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Fold into thirds?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Not possible on these cars. Unless you know how to get a 6-3/4" speaker out of a 5" or so diameter hole.
dremel?

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

So, even though my speakers and head unit aren't going to get here until the end of the week, I took out my rear seat, the little plastic pieces, the bolsters, and the rear deck. It looks so ghetto. And it's really noisy without the sound deadening from the seat cushion and bolsters. It looks sort of gross underneath the seat. The car is only like 4 years younger then me. So I found old candy and stuff that I probably dropped behind there when I was a little kid and it was my parent's car. If only I would have known that I would be driving it at one point. Then I wouldn't have eaten back there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

At least you did not throw up...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #17
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

By the way, after looking at the diagrams of the speakers in the pdf of the manual on crutchfield's website, the tweeter on protrudes out 25/32 of an inch from where the bottom of the speaker mounts to the metal of the car. Will there be enough room to fit the package tray back on over it, or will I have to cut the package tray?

It's these, by the way:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS1...7C2.html?tp=95

Because I would like the stock look. Maybe if it does stick out too far I can try bottom mounting them? As long as the surround would not hit the metal and tear.

Last edited by wishihadacamaro; 11-23-2008 at 09:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #18
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Not without damaging it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I do not know about the 96 SL2 but in the 98 SC2 I decided that cutting holes was not something I really wanted to do so i bottom mounted the 6 1/2 blaupunkt with no problem. Yes you can turn them up till the package shelf vibrates all the dust out of it and rattles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #20
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Well, I guess I'll see if I'm going to top or bottom mount them when they come in. I hate the anticipation when you're waiting for parts and other stuff to ship. Right now my rear seat cushion, bolsters, and rear package tray are sitting on my bedroom floor while I await the arrival of my speakers and headunit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!