SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
slypig
slypig is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Install sirus sportster 5

After sampling free online preview of Sirius, I have decided to go with them. I had XM in the past, and prefer the Sirius music channels.

Anyway, I would like to install it in the little compartment on the bottom of the dash. I don't mind if the door can't be closed.

I have seen a few picitres around here of people who have done the same, but I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I connect the power without using the power adapter. It is so huge,that putting the radio there while it is plugged in will be imposswible.

2. AUX input. Is there a way to tap into the aux input jack from behind the radio, so that it can be run into that space?

3. How couldit mount it into that space?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slypig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slypig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slypig is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Install sirus sportster 5

in canada doesnt your car already have xm or is that just here? if you have xm you have sirius already. channels are already beginning to merge as it is now the same company

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
in canada doesnt your car already have xm or is that just here? if you have xm you have sirius already. channels are already beginning to merge as it is now the same company
XM isn't standard on all the cars up here, and there wasn't one available with the options and colour I wanted.

So I had to go after market.

I have checked into the merging, and only the talk shows are merging so far (or being offered on each others services), and there is still no decision as to merging them in canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help slypig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
m_sparks79
m_sparks79 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypig View Post
After sampling free online preview of Sirius, I have decided to go with them. I had XM in the past, and prefer the Sirius music channels.

Anyway, I would like to install it in the little compartment on the bottom of the dash. I don't mind if the door can't be closed.

I have seen a few picitres around here of people who have done the same, but I have a couple of questions.

1. How do I connect the power without using the power adapter. It is so huge,that putting the radio there while it is plugged in will be imposswible.

2. AUX input. Is there a way to tap into the aux input jack from behind the radio, so that it can be run into that space?

3. How could it mount it into that space?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I installed a Env2 in mine.

The I don't believe there is an aux. on the back, I got by this by running a small drill bit next to the radio and trim bezel to get the cord behind it (you can see a picture in my gallery).

I solved the issue with the power cord by cutting it and then using the outlet in the console drilling a hole for the cord. The only problem is that it stays on with the ignition off. A better remedy would be to go to Autozone and buy an add-on outlet and install it off the fuse box and plug the adapter into it. This would be hidden behind the console and then you could hook it to a switch 12 volt...

As far as mounting it; I just used the mounting bracket swivel on the back of it and it stayed in place and wouldn't move (guess it was wedged in there). It has since loosened and I can't get back to that sweet spot. I think that when get a chance will make a block and use that to mount it along with velcro. I also noticed since the unit is so slim it can be postioned so the door closes. At the same time I will hook the adapter up through the fuse box.

There only one thing that I would warn you about is mounting the antenna. I installed mine on my decklid and just used the magnent. Well 6 monthes latter there is a ring around it on the paint and scratches from were it moved around. It's nothing bad and will buff out as they are just surface scratches. I would suggest installing double sided tape on the back of it and sticking it down so it doesn't move... I will be doing that this week after I buff it off.

It works great and everyone that see's it, likes it and the install. It lights up amber and blends in with the rest of the electronics.

Shane
2007 Aura XR
Current Mods:
- Window tint - Grille chrome - Charcoal 18" G6 Wheels - Blacked out taillights -

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m_sparks79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m_sparks79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m_sparks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sparks79 View Post
I installed a Env2 in mine.

The I don't believe there is an aux. on the back, I got by this by running a small drill bit next to the radio and trim bezel to get the cord behind it (you can see a picture in my gallery).

I solved the issue with the power cord by cutting it and then using the outlet in the console drilling a hole for the cord. The only problem is that it stays on with the ignition off. A better remedy would be to go to Autozone and buy an add-on outlet and install it off the fuse box and plug the adapter into it. This would be hidden behind the console and then you could hook it to a switch 12 volt...

As far as mounting it; I just used the mounting bracket swivel on the back of it and it stayed in place and wouldn't move (guess it was wedged in there). It has since loosened and I can't get back to that sweet spot. I think that when get a chance will make a block and use that to mount it along with velcro. I also noticed since the unit is so slim it can be postioned so the door closes. At the same time I will hook the adapter up through the fuse box.

There only one thing that I would warn you about is mounting the antenna. I installed mine on my decklid and just used the magnent. Well 6 monthes latter there is a ring around it on the paint and scratches from were it moved around. It's nothing bad and will buff out as they are just surface scratches. I would suggest installing double sided tape on the back of it and sticking it down so it doesn't move... I will be doing that this week after I buff it off.

It works great and everyone that see's it, likes it and the install. It lights up amber and blends in with the rest of the electronics.
I picked up the adapter to hook it up to the fuse box today, along with a female cigarette lighter adapter. I read that the adapter that comes with the Sportster only needs 5V, and if you wire it direct with 12 V, you'll kill it.

Guess I'll have to drill a hole in the bezel as well, as much as I hate the idea. Still better than having wires hanging around.

Did you have to take all the trim off to get behind, or is there room when you just take off the fuse panel cover?

Going to try and franeknstein this together tonight.

Will post pics.... if it is successfull......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
m_sparks79
m_sparks79 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I honestly don't remember...

Shane
2007 Aura XR
Current Mods:
- Window tint - Grille chrome - Charcoal 18" G6 Wheels - Blacked out taillights -

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m_sparks79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m_sparks79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m_sparks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
slypig

2008 AURA XE

Finished the install tonight, and I'm pretty happy with the results. Thanks to all the advice and pictures on here, I got some great ideas.

Wound up leaving it on the center vents, but ran the power to the fuse box, using teh "add a circuit" product. Also ran the audio connector behind the bezel, and shaved a small notch to make room for it to plug into the AUX port.

I would have never attemtped to remove the trim without that pics on this site.

Thanks all for the tips.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!