SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
customs21
customs21 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Lightbar on Ion

So, I drive a black 2004 Ion 3, and I keep having people do stupid things like cut out in front of me, switch into my lane when i'm right next to them and things like that. It's really starting to get annoying, but it helps me know my horn still works. Anyway, after having my car almost totaled a few times, and complaining to my parents about it (even though im 18, I still live at home. Cheaper that way), I feel like I need to do something about it to make myself more noticable. Also, my parents thought I was exaggerating, till my mom started driving my car cause it gets better gas mileage than her Sequoia, and she has the same problem. In a day, i'll usually get 1 to 3 close calls, sometimes 4, and they're the other persons fault. Anyway, my main idea is to add a amber lightbar, but i can't seem to find any info online for if theyre illegal in the state of Florida or not. So, i'm wondering if anyone else has tried to do this, or maybe if someone is a cop and they know the laws. Also, if I can't use a lightbar, what else could I do to make myself more noticable at night as well as day?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to customs21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help customs21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
customs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
FlintIonQC
FlintIonQC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Lightbar on Ion

You could put reflective tape stripes on your car, reflective SATURN logo in your bumper, get that clear spray paint that makes surfaces reflective and spray on your mirrors, front bumper, etc. Mayge some fog lamps. Otherwise you are very limited on what extra lights you can put on your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FlintIonQC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FlintIonQC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FlintIonQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

why not think undercover ion cop? get the spotlights and the rims (do they make them in 4x100 pattern) and put a cb antenna on the trunk.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

actully, im tempted to buy a cb radio, but for other reasons. Plus, im planning to put a vinyl picture of Haruhi from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (yes im a anime freak) so i dont think i could do undercover cop, but that does sound like a good idea.
And thanks FlintIonQC, i never thought of reflective tape.

Oh, and I play my music pretty loud, and that has got me out of incidents in parking lots. But I got pulled over one time for my music too loud (wasnt really pulled over, some cop was following me, so i turned into a parking lot and he parked right behind me then turned on his lights), and when the cop asked why I had it that loud I told him it was os people could hear me in parking lots so that they wont hit me. He couldn't believe someone would actullay say something like that or something, cause he was pretty shocked. Got away with a warning though since it was my first run in with a cop. Just a little side story.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help customs21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

My ION is black also and I have never had any issues at night with someone not seeing me. One of two things: there are really bad drivers where you live...or you slept through the section on defensive driving in Driver's Ed. Take your pick. Either way, my suggestion would be to put reflective markers on the edges of your doors, or put reflective vinyl over the red on your fender badges.

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

I never slept through drivers ed, and i've heard people ***** about the drivers down here, so i'm guessing it's that. And thanks, maybe ill give that a shot. Where do you live anyway? Personally I live in Parrish Florida, but I have to drive to Bradenton which is pretty much a college town, even though the only college is a community college, but it's also a major shopping area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by customs21 View Post
I never slept through drivers ed, and i've heard people ***** about the drivers down here, so i'm guessing it's that. And thanks, maybe ill give that a shot. Where do you live anyway? Personally I live in Parrish Florida, but I have to drive to Bradenton which is pretty much a college town, even though the only college is a community college, but it's also a major shopping area.
You remind me of the seniors who come into the Post Office all the time and tell me their life stories. Lol are you lonely too? I live in Iowa by the way, and have not a clue about what you just said about community college. By the way, are there any decent places to eat around there?

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I'd take a second look at how you drive. I see it every morning on the highway...people leave way too much space in front of them and everybody cuts them off. It's a fine line between leaving enough space between you and the car in front of you to be safe and leaving too much space where people go in front of you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

for most people on the road the definition of too much space is actually just enough. for example, count out the three seconds worth of spacing once, you'll most likely get cut off before you can get that far behind someone!!!

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Any good Places to eat? Not any private family run businesses that i know of, but I just moved here. The usual franchises though. And lonely, not really. Pissed off, yeah.

And I do a 3 second following rule like the drivers manual says.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Put a light bar on who cares .......... red to the rear-amber to the front. Then you can pretend your mall security, so cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

I care cause I don't want to get pulled over and get a citation. I'm trying to make myself noticable to other drivers, not cops. Which is why i'm trying to figure out if they're legal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

You can put on all the fancy lights you want. Light bars, a big bubble-gum one like Andy had in Mayberry...knock yourself out.

But, don't ever turn them on when you're driving. That'll make legal decorations into illegal activity in a hurry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Maybe try searching around elightbars.org.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you guys do realize that state and local laws are available on line for free, right, Plus you can always call your local police department to clarify the legality of something. They would rather have you asking than breaking the law.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The same thing happened to my car...
Look up my posting Hit by a Crown Victoria

I personally do not have any problem with seeing black cars, and I drive a truck at night!!! In the first accident I got cut off, and the second I thought I was far enough behind someone, and I rear ended him when he had to slam on his brakes.

I wanted to do some stuff to my car...
I wanted to get some black caps for my steel wheels (or perhaps alloy) and put the tire flys on the valve stems in green, so I would have green wheels at night on my black car. I was also thinking of putting something in the arch on the side of the doors in green. It would be cool to be able to make the arch glow in the dark too. I was not sure if that would have been too much though, as I was thinking of making the trim pieces over the door green as well.

I was definitely going to do the wheels, and the trim pieces over the door though. It would be great to be able to make the trim pieces neon (illegal here) or give off a soft glow light. Possibly some frosted clear plexiglas with some lights underneath (LED?).

Definitely let us know what you end up doing, as I am sure it will look good...

2006 Black Ion-2 ____ 25kmi R.I.P.
2008 Black Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

As for finding the stae and local DMV regulations online, I searched and the only thing I could find was that they were updating the lightbars on the cop cars. As for elightbars.org, when I went to go check there (right before I posted this thread) the site was down, but I haven't checked it since then.

And blk06RXC, I personally have no problem seeing cars either, but, like you, people don't notice me. A green and black color combination on a Ion would look pretty cool. Definately check to see what you can do so that after your Ion is fixed, you can do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I'm originally from Florida and am in the Pensacola, Tallahasee, and Tampa areas often because of family. I also used to have an 04 Ion. Trust me, I think it's more of a problem with people not being great drivers down there than the color or noticeability of your car. I don't think it would matter much what you put on the car to try and avoid being in near misses...but like someone mentioned, if you can't find the info online a quick call to local law enforcement should get you a clear and definite answer to your question.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #19
customs21

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks. And at least someone knows first hand about the bad drivers out here.

On a side note, my mom got rear ended today while driving my uncles Tacoma. The people that hit her, were hit by the person behind them, who was hit by the person behind her who was driving a rented Caliber. The lady claimed that a black truck with dark tinted windows hit her then drove off. (my uncles truck is a black Tacoma with dark tinted windows and was the only truck in the incident, but was at the front of the line). Luckily my mom is ok and so is the truck, but the people who hit her have a nice impression of a trailor hitch in their hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I was at an accident reconstruction course at the Institute of Police Technology and Management (University of N. Florida) and all the law enforcement officers in the class referred to Florida as "God's waiting room." Florida has more fatalities in golf cart vs car accidents than anywhere else in the country. At least when I came back to Minnesota I knew how to investigate a collision with a palm tree Don't waste your time with a light bar they're noisy and will decrease your gas mileage, and yes, you'll get noticed, more likely than not by your local law enforcement.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote