SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Is this brake wear abnormal?

Hi,

first i'll state that this is related to my 05 Vue... However i've never gotten a reply to any post i've put on the Vue forum. I Just bought this thing and i'm taking it back to the dealer for an un-related reason, but i'm prepping to point other things out to him and need an answer to my question.

This is just a general brake question, and i own an S-series so i'm posting here. Sorry if this cheeses someone off but i need a reply.

Ok, so when i test drove this thing the brakes were pulsating... after pointing this out the the salesperson they told me it would be fixed during the safety inspection. When i picked up the car i saw a receipt for front brake rotors and pads and they looked new (this was Friday). I've just gotten to work and i looked at the brake rotors through the rims. It looks like the left side brake pads aren't making full contact across the rotor.

Here are some pics so you can see what i mean
<-- Right side

<-- left side

Does that look weird to anyone? What would cause this?

If it matters i have less than 500 km on these new brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Is this brake wear abnormal?

You don't have full contact on either side on the visible (outside) part of the rotors. Something is not installed correctly. I would reccomend driving it as little as possible, if at all. You don't have full braking power at the moment. Get the car back to where the brakes were installed and have them fix it ASAP.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
You don't have full contact on either side on the visible (outside) part of the rotors.
Are you saying that neither the left or right side is making full contact?

s****

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo420 View Post
Are you saying that neither the left or right side is making full contact?

s****
Yes.

Actually looking at the pictures again the outer edge of the rotors does not have the best contact either. Especially on the left side photo.

The inner part of the rotor should have contact closer to the middle. On the right side picture take the outer edge rust and put it to the inner edge. This is closer to what the width of the unworn or non contact area should be. should be.
Even at that it could be less. Unless the picture angles are fooling me.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

thanks for your input.

I can't remove anything to inspect since i know it will come back and bite me in the a** when i go to get them to repair the problem.

Can you speculate as to what could cause this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!