SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
bo130
bo130 is on a distinguished road

Default Advice with speaker installation 02 SL2

Hi I have just made purchase of four new speakers for my 02 SL2. (JBL GTO627) I came here because I have heard of Crutchfield's installation guide, and when I went to the website there was also mention of this speaker harness:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SCXftOT...1014&s=0&cc=01

Crutchfield says that I need two sets of these speaker harnesses - for both sets of speakers (doors and trunk). My question is for 02 or third gen owners who have replaced with aftermarket speakers is: Do I really need those speaker harnesses? And secondly, do I also need their "mastersheet" instruction guide, or are there resources online for instructions?

Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bo130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bo130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Kal
Kal is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Advice with speaker installation 02 SL2

I have a 96, so its 2nd Gen, but it looks like the same concept as far as the speaker harness goes. I just recently put aftermarket speakers in. I just cut the wires, cut the rubber off the tips of the wires, and put it into the speaker thing where the wires go, and my speakers work fine. But that looks like a better way, but just costs more than cutting the wires like I did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
bo130

Thanks Kal

So, basically you are saying that you snipped the wires right where they connect with either speaker terminal? (pos, neg) and then simply connecting them (did you solder?) onto the new speaker terminals?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bo130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

i have a 3rd gen sl1 and replaced the stock speakers with some ones that I just blew, so I need new ones . but anyway i bought them off crutchfield and yes you need the harnesses from what i observed. it was plug in play, you also need mounting brackets, at least I did. their guide also helps out alot, i bought my JVC head unit from them too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
Kal

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
Thanks Kal

So, basically you are saying that you snipped the wires right where they connect with either speaker terminal? (pos, neg) and then simply connecting them (did you solder?) onto the new speaker terminals?
I didn't solder the wires. I just took them and place them in the terminal things. I used Roadmaster brand speakers and on those you can slide the wire in place and it will hold it there. Very simple. So ya, I think you understood what I was trying to say, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
awprice
awprice is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
1999 SL1

Do NOT I repeat DO NOT cut those harnesses. The reason you want to use the harnesses is because of POLARITY/PHASE! Spend the 26 bucks and get the harnesses. Circuit City, Bestbuy, American all carry those harnesses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awprice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Kal

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by awprice View Post
Do NOT I repeat DO NOT cut those harnesses. The reason you want to use the harnesses is because of POLARITY/PHASE! Spend the 26 bucks and get the harnesses. Circuit City, Bestbuy, American all carry those harnesses.
Can you explain what you mean by Polarity/Phase? I cut the harness and didn't have a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kal's Reputation
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
awprice

2004 ION Red Line
1999 SL1

Polarity - Positive to Positive, Negative to Negative.

Phase - Basically the timing of a sound measured from 0 to 360 degrees.

Say you have speaker A hooked up +/+ -/- and you have speaker B hooked up +/- +/-. They would be out of phase and actually cancel each other out. Effectively sounding like ass. This is how noise cancelling headphones work.

The harnesses you buy are great. They simplify install by being plug and play and they keep Polarity/Phase without any guesswork.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help awprice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
bo130

Thanks everyone for your advice. I actually took a look at the speakers in the trunk and I can see where the harnesses attach. I will go ahead and just pick them up when I install. Does anyone know if any online guides exist that show how to do a proper replacement of the 4 speakers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
Hi I have just made purchase of four new speakers for my 02 SL2. (JBL GTO627) I came here because I have heard of Crutchfield's installation guide, and when I went to the website there was also mention of this speaker harness:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SCXftOT...1014&s=0&cc=01

Crutchfield says that I need two sets of these speaker harnesses - for both sets of speakers (doors and trunk). My question is for 02 or third gen owners who have replaced with aftermarket speakers is: Do I really need those speaker harnesses? And secondly, do I also need their "mastersheet" instruction guide, or are there resources online for instructions?

Thanks in advance!
Their Mastersheets are pretty good and the harnesses make it much easier and also keep the speaker polarity correct as previously mentioned. They send you those items for free when you buy speakers from them anyways so why not use them?

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 47K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
bo130

I've already made purchase of the speakers from another side other than Crutchfield. I still might end up going through them to get the harnesses, but if I can get an instruction manual online I'd just pick up the harnesses at a brick & mortar store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
awprice

2004 ION Red Line
1999 SL1

Speaker install is rediculously easy. The only hard part is getting the door panels off without breaking any tabs. Depending on what kind of windows you have (power or crank) will make it easier/harder. When you do get everything unscrewed and are ready to remove the door panels lift up before you pull towards yourself. As long as you get 6.5 inch speakers and some speed clips your set. Pretty easy stuff on our cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!