SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Dizzy oil prob.

So i was useing 10w30 in my sl1 a syntech blend, so i decided to go to 5w30 like the car recamends, so today i went to drive my car and i had alot of rattling noises from the left side of the motor sounds like it is coming from the top... so i check the oil and the dip stick was m=not registering oil. So what should i do? Should i go back to 10w30 or should i take the valve cover off and do a visual check of the lifters and all.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: oil prob.

I would go back to 10W-30. How many miles did it take to go through the 5w-30 oil?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
saturncrzy

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

i believe less the 300 miles but i just did an oil change 3 weeks ago.... my biggest concern is the rattling noise when i drove my car... but i will deffinatly go back to 10w30 syntech blend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If the oil pressure light is not on you should be OK. The rattle is the lifters a bit short on oil. That is better than a quart in 300 miles. I think that qualifies for excessive oil consumption.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Sounds like it is time for an MMO Soak or replacement on the timing chain possibly...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
saturncrzy

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

so when i do my oil change today i am going to go back to 10w30 sytech blend, should i take the valve cover off and check all lifters and all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
saturncrzy

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Sad Re: oil prob.

okay as i was changing my oil back to 10w30 sytech blend, i started teh car after i was done and noticed that my belt was about to fly off. so i do an inspection and find out that my tensioner pully is shot... i can see inside it as you can see in the pic so i have to replace the whole thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tesioner pulley.JPG (148.4 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

At least you found your rattle.

FYI--the dipstick only registers the top 2 quarts of oil, so you were at least 2 quarts low, so that will obviously cause the engine to make some noise also. If you're checking your oil as often as you should be it would never get low enough for the engine to make noise.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
saturncrzy

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

hey thanks, i didnt drive that much within those 3 weeks so i didnt check the oil, but i always check my oil every other day. so i take it this tesioner pully is not hard to replace?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

You aren't replacing a tensioner pulley, you're replacing a tensioner assembly. If you go and ask for a tensioner pulley at the parts store, that's what you're going to get, just the pulley. It's pretty easy, 2 10mm bolts is all. Make sure you use a good 6 point 10mm socket and you'll be fine. Easiest to get the bottom bolt through the wheelwell.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
saturncrzy

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

awsome man thanks i was wondering how i was going to get to that bottom bolt. Yeah thats what i meant was the whole thing not just the pulley. Thanks again squareback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!