SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
kristina813
kristina813 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Engine stalls but restarts / P1629 code

Hello-
Hoping I am not the first to experience this problem, so want to know if anyone is aware of a resolution they may have experience with??
I own a 2003 Vue/V6 Automatic and am experiencing the engine stalling/dying while driving. I first brought into the dealership in February and they said there were some misfires but no codes-so no fix at that time.

It has been intermittent for MONTHS, 9 out of 10 times will completely die and I am able to immediately just pull over, put into park and restart. This ONLY occurs while I am driving, I can be in a parking lot at low speeds or just on the freeway-I do see the security light on, but also the other dummy lights flash wildly, then engine dies. Brought it into the dealership wednesday and they pulled a P1629 code and stated the BCM needed replacing(security fuel cut off-found pcm signal from bcm not valid or present cutting off fuel).
Ok so I drive it home and on my way to work the next day it does the SAME EXACT THING. Am bringing back to dealer and just wondering if it really may be something with ignition lock housing sensors, or maybe even fuel pump... Thinking they better have kept my old bcm and give it back or eat the $$$ on this one since it did not solve the problem... HA!
THoughts??
Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kristina813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kristina813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kristina813 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Engine stalls but restarts / P1629 code

DTC P1629 Theft Deterrent System - Cranking Signal

Its difficult to interpret this code as it can have two different meanings, to me anyway. I'm inclined to think that the crank position sensor (CPS) has failed intermittently and kills the engine. Whether it affects the theft deterrent system is not altogether understood in relation to the BCM. The anti-theft system is part of the BCM programming but the cps signals are used by the ECM to operate the electronic fuel injection system. The ignition switch contains part of the anti-theft system.

Normally, when the ignition switch is turned the anti-theft system detects the key position and simultaneous code that's sent to the BCM for decoding; a valid decode will be used by the BCM to enable the ECM to operate otherwise it will disable one or two crucial signals necessary to operate the fuel injection system; the fuel pump signal and injector pulses. When all's well, the cranking engine to allow a start-up requires the cps timing signals fed to the ECM to allow it to run the fuel pump, initiate the ignition/spark electronics, and pulse the injectors. As long as the engine rotates the cps continues to output timing signals to allow the ECM to run the engine. The cps is the electronic heart of the EFI system. An intermittent cps signal is akin to a heart attack; uneven heart beats or irregular cps signals won't allow the ECM to run the engine and the engine randomly dies.

The security light being on and the other flashing lights points to the BCM working erratically. There may be two separate issues or the original BCM is still in your Vue and not a replacement. You'll have to ask the service manager why the problem hasn't been repaired when they state otherwise with replacing the BCM. This is just my opinion.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
kristina813
kristina813 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wow-thanks for the quick response! Yeah that makes sense...
I drove the thing the whole weekend without the two repeat symptoms it gave me friday, and brought it back to the dealer today. They called me to tell me they tightened the junction box bolts(that they found them too loose I am interpreting)..Makes me wonder, since it sounds like the cheaper and simpler thing to do, even in the event they did pull a P1629 code-why didn't they check that first, or AT ALL before giving it back to me with a $300 computer part charge?? Hope to get that answer tomorrow! Maybe I'll just bring up one of them TSB's I don't think has been addressed on my vehicle and see if they can do anything for me...lol
Now I'm wondering if I even needed that new BCM at all...but guess it shouldn't hurt going ahead a replacing it before something(other) in it goes...I'll just try to think of the justification as prophylactically I guess...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kristina813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kristina813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kristina813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Satin TECH
Satin TECH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina813 View Post
Wow-thanks for the quick response! Yeah that makes sense...
I drove the thing the whole weekend without the two repeat symptoms it gave me friday, and brought it back to the dealer today. They called me to tell me they tightened the junction box bolts(that they found them too loose I am interpreting)..Makes me wonder, since it sounds like the cheaper and simpler thing to do, even in the event they did pull a P1629 code-why didn't they check that first, or AT ALL before giving it back to me with a $300 computer part charge?? Hope to get that answer tomorrow! Maybe I'll just bring up one of them TSB's I don't think has been addressed on my vehicle and see if they can do anything for me...lol
Now I'm wondering if I even needed that new BCM at all...but guess it shouldn't hurt going ahead a replacing it before something(other) in it goes...I'll just try to think of the justification as prophylactically I guess...
I just had a 2003 Saturn Vue 3.0L in my garage with that code and the same drivability complaint. I scanned all controller's and found P1629 in the ECM. I have a Saturn shop manual. It is a signal that the passlock sensor sends out. Code P1629 is THEFT DETERRANT FUEL ENABE SIGNAL NOT RECIVED. First you need to check the BCM 15 amp and BCM/ECM/CRUISE/ ABS 10 amp fuses in UHJB. clear ECM and BCM DTC'S.
Security System (Pass lock Relearn Procedure) You will need to go to the dealer for that procedure. To see if that is causing your problem. If it doesn't fix the issue your having well its a very large circuit. The signal starts at the pass lock sensor and is sent to the (BCM) Body Control Module to the (EBTCM) Electronic Brake/Traction Control Module it you have that option. Then the signal is sent to the (TCM) Transmission Control Module. Then to the (ECM) Engine Control Module. That is a password that is continuously from the BCM to the ECM. OK
What you need to do is if you have some one with a scanner take a ride with you. That person needs to go into each controller till the vehicle stalls out and loses comunication with a controller. Assuming you don't have any electrical problems the vehicle I had in my garage had a bad ECM. It was taken to the dealer and they programmed a new computer and the problem has not returned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satin TECH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satin TECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satin TECH is offline   Reply With Quote