SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
tkearsey
tkearsey is on a distinguished road

Default Stubborn wheel bearing hub assembly 2005 Vue, help!

Hey there, I've read a few threads here about removing/changing hub assemblies and the different methods to break the corrosion between the hub and knuckle. After two attempts of a couple hours each I've all but given up on being able to remove the old hub.

It's the driver's side front bearing assembly. I've removed all the bolts/nuts easily, but cannot break the corrosion. I've banged and banged, and pryed but no luck. In fact three of us took turns. The spindle is backing out easily so it's actually just the hub assembly that is seized. I live in eastern Canada so there is alot of salt corrosion here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm very much a DIY guy and to have to bring this to a shop because this is standing in my way doesn't sit well with me. The job seems so easy in theory.

thanks alot.
Trevor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tkearsey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tkearsey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tkearsey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Stubborn wheel bearing hub assembly 2005 Vue, help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkearsey View Post
Hey there, I've read a few threads here about removing/changing hub assemblies and the different methods to break the corrosion between the hub and knuckle. After two attempts of a couple hours each I've all but given up on being able to remove the old hub.

It's the driver's side front bearing assembly. I've removed all the bolts/nuts easily, but cannot break the corrosion. I've banged and banged, and pryed but no luck. In fact three of us took turns. The spindle is backing out easily so it's actually just the hub assembly that is seized. I live in eastern Canada so there is alot of salt corrosion here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm very much a DIY guy and to have to bring this to a shop because this is standing in my way doesn't sit well with me. The job seems so easy in theory.

thanks alot.
Trevor
Remove the knuckle and take the whole mess to a machine shop and have them press the the hub out. It takes a little longer, but it will save a lot of wear and tear on you and on your vehicle (as opposed to banging on things with a hammer).

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
tkearsey

Thanks for the help,

What is involved in removing the entire knuckle? If i could get the whole thing off i'd say it'd make it easier to remove the hub as I could give it a few smacks from behind. I'm amazed that people say things like "a few taps and it should slide off" while mine might as well be welded there. Bolts weren't bad. Thinking about using some PB Blaster and the reversed wheel trick. People seem to put alot of stock into penetrators like PB Blaster. Would a slide hammer be useful to yank it off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tkearsey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Have you tried PB Blaster (good stuff) and a torch? Remember, a penetrant like PB Blaster works toward the heat. I haven't had to do a wheel bearing yet, but is there a way to heat the hub from the back side without melting a bunch of things you don't want to melt?

Also a trick from other bearings that I've dealt with is to bolt the wheel back in place and then kick the edges of the wheel to add leverage. Would this work?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
tkearsey

i'm gonna get some PB Blaster and let it soak for a few hours. Just another question is there anything else holding the hub in when i have the axle but and three backside bolts removed? any snap rings? or is that flimsy peice (i assume it's a bracet for holding ABS on ABS euipped models) that is between the knuckle and the hub, doing anything to prevent it from coming out?

also, I'll probably end up trying to use the leverage of the wheel bolted back on, but wondering what is the best way to secure the car with stands?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

After fighting with the bearing on the drivers side of mine for 2 nights using both PB Blaster and a propane torch I removed the knuckle and took it to work with me. I put 3 longer bolts in the hub assembly from the rear and heated with an acetalyne torch then after a few hits with a hammer on the longer bolts it came free. When I did the passenger side I just removed the knuckle and took it to work. You can remove the knuckle in about 20 minutes or less. After removing the old hub from the knuckle I glass beaded the knuckle and the new bearing falls into place. I had also used a little anti-seize on the new bearing housing which the factory should have done, which would have made the whole job take about 15 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
tkearsey

that is what i think is going to have to happen. What is the process and concerns with removing the whole knuckle? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I had this problem. I eventually got it out by shimming behind the hub and wacking the shaft with a big hammer.

When the other one went bad, I paid a Chevy dealer $100 in labor to change it. It was worth it.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Removing the knuckle is easy. After removing the tire/wheel remove the caliper and bracket as an assembly, remove the axle nut, separate the tie rod from the knuckle and remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint then the nut, at this point i placed a jack under the flange on the hub and jacked it up just enough to take some weight off of the ball joint then using two hammers place one on one side of the knuckle where the ball joint goes through it and hit the knuckle on the opposite side and the ball joint should come loose remove the jack and take out both bolts holding the knuckle to the strut and remove the knuckle. Good Luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
rljmlw
rljmlw is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I realize this thread is a couple of years old but for anyone who comes across this thread in the future with a similar issue of removing a stubborn wheel hub bearing from a Vue of this vintage take my advice...don't waste hours hammering yourself silly like I did. Taking the knuckle off the Vue is 15-20 minutes tops....not rocket science and a lot less aggravating.
Thanks to previous posters.
I notice the other poster who had significant trouble was also from Canada and the poster who successfully removed his was from Tennessee. I think geography is a significant factor.

Last edited by rljmlw; 09-24-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: addition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rljmlw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rljmlw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rljmlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
WM.Mike
WM.Mike is on a distinguished road

ok i am changing the right side wheel hub. After beating on it all day I checked here and found this. i have taken everything loose to remove the knuckle but it seems to be stuck to the drive shaft any sugestions?

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WM.Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WM.Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WM.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
WM.Mike
WM.Mike is on a distinguished road

Well problem solved, large puller and it popped right off.

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WM.Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WM.Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WM.Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Thundercat
Thundercat is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

Big chisel betwen hub and knuckle. Small sledge hammer to start it moving. Then a BIG sledge hammer from the backside, alternating striking locations. Clean the corrosion off before re-assembly and apply a liberal amount of never-seize.
When I changed them the next time around, the axle was stuck in hub, but hub came free of knuckle easily. Other side slid apart like a well-oiled machine.

2004 Saturn Vue AWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thundercat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thundercat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Bump of an older thread...

any ideas on how to get the seized hub off without taking apart the whole steering knuckle?

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

See my post^^^^^.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
See my post^^^^^.
It's an aluminum steering knuckle.Heat wouldn't be a good idea.

If an ax head isn't making it budge, putting the tire on and kicking it is just going to hurt my foot!,lol!

DH's is going to bring home a slide hammer from work tomorrow, see if that helps. I doubt it though

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
pyroom
Advanced Member
pyroom is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I think taking the steering knuckle out and pressing it out with a press is the safest/easiest way. You could try making a hub-buster, but I think in the case of the Vue you'll just end up doing damage to the car lol. I had no problem bending 2 1/4" thick steel plates on my "hub buster". I tried banging on the front ones for 2 days with a sludge-hammer without much luck.

2004 Vue 3.5L AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pyroom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pyroom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pyroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #18
Stupidusernames
Stupidusernames is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Removing the knuckle is easy. After removing the tire/wheel remove the caliper and bracket as an assembly, remove the axle nut, separate the tie rod from the knuckle and remove the cotter pin from the lower ball joint then the nut, at this point i placed a jack under the flange on the hub and jacked it up just enough to take some weight off of the ball joint then using two hammers place one on one side of the knuckle where the ball joint goes through it and hit the knuckle on the opposite side and the ball joint should come loose remove the jack and take out both bolts holding the knuckle to the strut and remove the knuckle. Good Luck!
I realize how old this post is, but the instructions here for separating the ball joint from the knuckle are very confusing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stupidusernames's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stupidusernames reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stupidusernames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
red1
red1 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Take off knuckle..use press to remove the bearing assy...

I took the whole car in to a mechanic...he took off the knuckle and the assemblies..said it was a real ***** even with a press...Believe it, I examined the knuckle and there was a pretty good shiny gouge in the aluminum where he gripped it...

Buster is interesting though...sure wouldn't want to damage the axle...

Milo (Nix the Burnt Orange Gm Name) colored AWD 2003 DinoMite Vue..127K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Marz
Marz has a spectacular aura aboutMarz has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Stubborn wheel bearing hub assembly 2005 Vue, help!

This is just a thank you to the whole forum; I did my 07 vue's drivers side bearing hub this past weekend and thanks to everyone here it was dead easy.

Being a Texas Vue there was not knuckle to hub sticking and I was able to do it start to finish in about 1 hour 20 minutes (including the time I spent renting the hub socket and Torque wrench)

I used the Timken part that I was directed to on amazon, which was half what AZ was asking!

For those of you that are having trouble with rust (more northern states and provinces) I watched a Youtube video where they used an air gun with a chisel to separate the hub.

Thanks everyone! and a special thanks to whoever it is that has the photos of their bearing hub change in their gallery!

1995 SC2 Purchased with 119985 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marz is offline   Reply With Quote