SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
schn0511
schn0511 is on a distinguished road

Default startup and accelerator delay

All~

I have my 08 XR in for work right now and was given an 07 XE to drive in the mean time. I've noticed a few differences between my car and the loaner.

First, when the XE starts up, all the gauges on the instruement panel max out then return to their normal operating levels - I though this was cool, but wondered why it isn't like this in my 08 XR - has anyone noticed that their 08XR doesn't do this?

Second, I found that when I depress the gas pedal on the XE, I have instant accelaration, where as in my XR, the accleration is delayed maybe a second or so. Has any one noticed any difference between the XR and the XE in acceleration delays???

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Luke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schn0511's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schn0511 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schn0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: startup and accelerator delay

The delayed acceleration is "characteristic" of the car. My '07 XR does it and just about everyone else will tell you the same thing. It's been discussed on here before...there was a thread with a subject of "My Aura Almost Killed Me" (or something similar to that) a few months ago.

As for the sweep of the gauges I can only guess this was changed for '08? Maybe an '08 owner can chime in here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

good question! I thought i had read earlier on here someone saying something to the effect of the sweeping of the gauges, like pontiacs do?? I hae an 08 aura xe 3.5 build date 08/07 purchased 9-29 my gauges do not sweep or go from nothing to something and back.... This interest me as well as why they changed from 07 to 08 the headlamps?? The bright beam bulb is exposed or not covered by a reflector/deflector as it is in 07?!? bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

schn0511 and all, I think maybe a update on the car or cars computer software might need updated or flashed etc... not sure, i had wrecked the aura only 29 days into its ownership and the electrical systems were off line for a very long time and then on again etc... so im not sure if my car needs an update, like maybe they had done so at the factory but due to the electric outage and back on etc... and the wreck that it messed that aspect up??? not sure bue 05 I hope to hear from more 08 xe and 08 xr owners.. kinda like the trunk strap... some 08s do some dont

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have an '08 XE and my gauges do the sweeping thing. Pretty cool. How do I
find out my car build date? Is it in the VIN?

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L, Blue
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ, Black (wife's ride)

Then:
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's old ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #6
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

ok so i am jealous!? I think my car is just gone or is going bonkers.. it seems things work intermittently on it ?? Would this be a programming issue? anyone know? when did you buy your 08 xe jita? it is in the vin number and has to be given to someone with access to that info.. I won't advertise but there is someone on this site who can do that possibly for you.. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

My 07 XR gauges all sweep on start-up.
No (0) accelerator delay here, though sometime there is a pronounced delay in automatic down-shifts when I mash the gas to get around a rolling road block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
No (0) accelerator delay here, though sometime there is a pronounced delay in automatic down-shifts when I mash the gas to get around a rolling road block.
We're talking about the same thing pretty much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
saea501
saea501 is on a distinguished road

My gauges all sweep. Accelerator delay...hardly, mine is very sharp..almost too sharp. I just start to depress the throttle and the thing is ready to rip. I think the difference we are all feeling has to do with the drive by wire. It does give the throttle a different feeling than a cable. I would think this system has the ability to be calibrated, especially if there is a pronounced delay.

Interesting thing about the gauges: I had a 92 Bonneville that did that as well. Always thought it was cool.

2008 Aura XE 3.5 Red Jewel
Tan leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saea501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saea501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saea501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

wow.. i wonder how im going to ask saturn to fix this problem?? My gauges do not sweep and unfortunatley, i can't recall if they ever did?? hmm weirdness.. anyone who owns an aura 07,08 ex xr that doesn't sweep? Oh what the hell... not like it keeps the car from functioning.. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #11
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I haven't noticed any sweep and if it did I wouldn't care. If I have to accelerate hard to get around someone I drop into M to be ready and when the time is right I shift with the paddles and zip around. I noticed that my car doesn't shift fast unless I had been driving aggressively. This tells me that the car is learning my habits to increase fuel mileage/performance.

2008 Red Jewel XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #12
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I always drive aggressively a little bit so my car is always ready to go and shifts right away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
slowTA
slowTA is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

My gauges sweep, but if they didn't then I wouldn't care at all as long as they work.

I've noticed the slow downshift most of the time and only once or twice the slow throttle response. Most times the slow throttle response would be on corner exit when I really wanted to go at a certain time.

On my testdrive I spun the tires enough to hit the traction control... unintentionally. Just takes some time to get used to.

Techno Gray Aura XR with cloth interior and no sunroof.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowTA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowTA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slowTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

'08 Aura XE 4cyl built in November and my gauges sweep. Someone had posted that it is called "gauge self test" and there are two suppliers for the IP for the Aura. One supplier has this feature the other does not. I do not recall what thread I read this in or how reliable it is...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
bue05
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

djreed, thanks for the good info.. and others too. I agree the gauges work, annd its not big whooop per say, but i mean come on... this is silly, if most all auras do it and some dont' two different suppliers for the IP one does one doesnt... talk about some q&a.. So if i am being sensitive im sorry, but if i ask for my gauges to sweep Or gauge self test... will saturn say im sorry we have no clue which auras got and didn't get the IP that runs self test and some that don't being that your gauges work and all, you don't need them to do that since its purely for show........sorry.. I just think thats so inconsistent, that would be like well my aura has all blue interior lighting, while three other peoples are red, and some are amber....???? doesn't line up. they all should be the same. ok rant over thanks!! bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 AM   #16
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

my 2008 XR always does the gauge sweep on startup

And i remember reading a review on the XR.....found it.....it was on www.autoblog.com about the 2007 XR:

"Twist the ignition key and the backlit gauges do a left-to-right sweep as the 3.6L purrs to life and settles into a quiet idle."

Full review:
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/06/i...aturn-aura-xr/

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #17
captainjohn
captainjohn is on a distinguished road

Just got the 6 speed reprogrammed today and it seemed quicker off the line on the way home. Used to have the annoying drive by electric wire delay you seem to be describing. I thought they had all the programming issues cleared up for the '08's, but maybe not?

2007 XR
35,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainjohn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainjohn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Should sweep on startup.....made a video to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOOQN319Tw

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #19
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
Should sweep on startup.....made a video to show you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAOOQN319Tw
Hey snobrdrdan, what video software are you using?

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L, Blue
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ, Black (wife's ride)

Then:
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's old ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

On my '07 XE, there is no startup delay. However, I have noticed the accelerator delay. It isn't bad, but just enough that it took some getting used to.

It only bugs me when trying to shut of the cruise and have the throttle in the same position.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote