SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
marathoner
marathoner is on a distinguished road

Default timing belt replacement

i am thinking about buying a 2004 vue 6 cyl....with 67000 miles...does anyone know at what mileage the timing belt needs to be replaced...dealer says 100,000 but i would guess sooner than that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marathoner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marathoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: timing belt replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathoner View Post
i am thinking about buying a 2004 vue 6 cyl....with 67000 miles...does anyone know at what mileage the timing belt needs to be replaced...dealer says 100,000 but i would guess sooner than that
Do you know if the coolant has been changed periodically ~every 25k miles?

If you don't know, you might consider changing the belt and the water pump.

Replacing the coolant often keeps fresh additive to lubricate and maintain the water pump.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #3
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

50k for severe duty (all city driving, towing, etc.)

100k for normal driving habits.

You can do it earlier if you want, isnt going to hurt anything, but not absolutely necessary.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
marathoner

do you know about what the cost of the timing belt replacement will be

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marathoner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
AHidell
AHidell is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2004 VUE 3.5L

I just bought a 04 Vue V6 with 92,000 miles and my local dealer quoted me $432 and a dealer in a nearby state (were I travel often) quoted me $305, both Saturn dealers, go figure!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AHidell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AHidell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AHidell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Wow, that is REALLY cheap. I would expect it to be much more than that!

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
marathoner

thanks for the info...i guess it is decision time now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHidell View Post
I just bought a 04 Vue V6 with 92,000 miles and my local dealer quoted me $432 and a dealer in a nearby state (were I travel often) quoted me $305, both Saturn dealers, go figure!
That's the around the same my Saturn dealer told me to have it replaced.

That's why a few weeks ago I called down that person who was screaming $1500 and how horrible it was to own a Honda engine...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
That's why a few weeks ago I called down that person who was screaming $1500 and how horrible it was to own a Honda engine...
You know, I was hoping it would be around that much too. Just so I could rattle your chain a little!

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHidell View Post
That is super cheap from what I've read on here. I thought the going rate was $1,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy offering to rent out the special tools for $150 surely based his rental price on the $1,000 not the $300 or $400.
If the original poster is thinking of doing the deal at a dealership, the belt replacement should be part of the deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
That is super cheap from what I've read on here. I thought the going rate was $1,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy offering to rent out the special tools for $150 surely based his rental price on the $1,000 not the $300 or $400.
If the original poster is thinking of doing the deal at a dealership, the belt replacement should be part of the deal.

First off, wrong motor. To do a W pump and t belt replacement on a 3.0l is usually at least 6-800 bux. On a Honda, it is a little easier, and parts are cheaper....

Second off, tool rental was for 3.0L as well. Special tool makes it easier to adjust tension.... ALOT easier.

Also, on the hondas, I would recommend replacing the water pump as well. Easy access, cheap labor since they are in there, and if it fails, it will contaminate the belt and need replaced as well.

A true 100k service for the Honda would be water pump, timing belt, coolant flush, spark plugs, trans service, and fuel filter r.r..... not cheap, but worth it.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
Rivernut
Rivernut will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
First off, wrong motor. To do a W pump and t belt replacement on a 3.0l is usually at least 6-800 bux. On a Honda, it is a little easier, and parts are cheaper....

I don't know what you mean by wrong motor (engine). I did not see the '02-'03 3.0 engine being discussed on this thread. I just had my '03 belt and water pump replaced (at 100,000 miles) for a total price of $476. I had the work done by former Saturn employees at a small garage. I asked the Saturn dealer for an estimate and they said about $450 just to replace the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rivernut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rivernut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post

Second off, tool rental was for 3.0L as well. Special tool makes it easier to adjust tension.... ALOT easier.

Also, on the hondas, I would recommend replacing the water pump as well. Easy access, cheap labor since they are in there, and if it fails, it will contaminate the belt and need replaced as well.

A true 100k service for the Honda would be water pump, timing belt, coolant flush, spark plugs, trans service, and fuel filter r.r..... not cheap, but worth it.
OK, so is a 3.5 Honda going to be cheaper than the 3.0 or more? The quotes I've seen or here are for belt replacement only at $1,000 on the 3.5 Honda. The guy renting out the tools seemed to indicate that he was also going to buy and rent out any tools needed to do a 3.5.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
onegoodcop951
onegoodcop951 is on a distinguished road

My 05 4cyl started making a squeeking noise like the belt was loose and some lifter noise. It finally died on my at a red light.
now it turns over but wont start sounds like it floods if I give it gas when turning it over.
Was told it may be the timing belt.
I have been checking online for recalls but found nothing for this year.
Help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onegoodcop951's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onegoodcop951 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onegoodcop951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #15
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoodcop951 View Post
My 05 4cyl started making a squeeking noise like the belt was loose and some lifter noise. It finally died on my at a red light.
now it turns over but wont start sounds like it floods if I give it gas when turning it over.
Help
Can you take it to a garage for diagnosis? Are there any indicator lights on where you could start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Help
If you have a 2.2 4 cylinder, your engine doesn't have a timing belt, but rather a timing chain. The chains are meant to last for the life of the vehicle, but depending on your mileage, something may have happened to the chain, although based on your description of the problem, it doesn't sound like a timing chain issue to me. Others with more Ecotec experience will surely sound in on your possible issue, but rest assured it is not a timing belt issue on that engine.

You also don't mention if your vehicle is an automatic, manual, all wheel drive, etc...post back with the specifics of your Vue so that we can take a better stab at the diagnosis.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #17
onegoodcop951
onegoodcop951 is on a distinguished road

Sad Re: timing belt replacement

just got word, it needs an engine. timing chain snapped and popped a valve. its done. $2200 at least....but its not worth it.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onegoodcop951's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onegoodcop951 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onegoodcop951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
just got word, it needs an engine. timing chain snapped and popped a valve. its done. $2200 at least....but its not worth it.....
I'm very sorry to hear...

Is $2200 to put in a new (used) motor or fix existing one or what? $2200 seems like a lot however it's a small downpayment on a new car and is much cheaper than buying a used car.

Just a thought...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #19
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Yikes! I would most definitely be shopping around to see if you can find a better price if you choose to fix your Vue. The Ecotecs are cheap to find used. You can get a good, low mileage engine for around $500 and I can't imagine that there would be over $1500 worth of labor involved. Its certainly labor intensive, but that price just seems high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Saturn-Naut
Saturn-Naut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
Yikes! I would most definitely be shopping around to see if you can find a better price if you choose to fix your Vue. The Ecotecs are cheap to find used. You can get a good, low mileage engine for around $500 and I can't imagine that there would be over $1500 worth of labor involved. Its certainly labor intensive, but that price just seems high.
Why need just have the heads rebuild or swapped with rebuilt heads??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Naut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Naut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn-Naut is offline   Reply With Quote