SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
cjbondra
cjbondra is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 VUE Flaw in Design

Hi, my wife and I have owned our 2006 VUE for about a year and a half. We have had no real problems with Saturns until now. Our VUE's front passenger seat folds flat to create extra cargo room. My wife loved this option. She is the owner and main driver of the VUE. She leaves the seat folded flat often because she travels alone with our baby daughter. She uses the seat folded flat as a diper changing table, a food table, and many other uses. But two months ago we found that the armrest on the seat cracked the seat belt latch. Saturn replaced the seat belt latch under warranty. Two months and under 3000 miles later I notice the new seat belt latch was cracked and I investigated how this was happening and found a large dent and hole in the armrest of the passenger seat. We brought the VUE in to show Saturn. Our salesman folded the front passenger seat down and saw that with the updated center console the passenger seat was crushing the seatbelt latch when it is folded flat. He then went and folded some of the new 2007 VUE seats down and we both noticed the instant scuffs this option put on the armrest. So my wife called and filed a complaint with the Saturn Corp. They said they would call back and check on the situation and how our dealer deals with it. Our dealer relplaced the seatbelt latch and the armrest, but did not address the issue that the VUE is ruining the armrest and cracking the seatbelt latch when the seat is folded flat. This is stressing to my wife because a new vehicle should not break itself. So my wife contacts the Saturn Corp. office again explains that the broken parts were replaced but the seat will still rebrake the seatbelt latch and the armrest if it is folded flat.
Saturn pretty much told her tough luck and that there is nothing they can do to help. With that she is ready to just accept a huge loss and trade in the VUE for a vehicle that was designed to work with out ruining itself. It is frustrating. Saturn's slogan here is that they are not satisfied until we are satisfied, and they are not living up to it.

If anybody has any ideas let me know. I was thinking of asking them to install a center console from the earlier models because the new console is what is getting in the way and not letting our seatbelt latch fall out of the way when the seat is folded flat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjbondra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjbondra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjbondra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 05:41 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 2006 VUE Flaw in Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbondra View Post
...With that she is ready to just accept a huge loss and trade in the VUE for a vehicle that was designed to work with out ruining itself. .....If anybody has any ideas let me know. ....
Sure. Buy a Toyota. They're perfect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I think they should also improve the body by switching to steel so it can rust. Oh, wait, they are.
I doubt they will put used equipment into a car still under warranty even though it will solve the problem. I read about problems in 06's and 07's that I haven't had with my 05. They must have improved those areas to make them problematic. Hey, it looked good on the CAD tube!
Rather than screw up your financial situation just to get rid of this problem, why don't you do the fix yourself? I know, Saturn should make good on it, but it would be much cheaper for you to take care of it. Search around for a used console and maybe the people here can help you with the swap. If you aren't comfortable about doing it yourself, you might get a mechanic from your dealership to do it for you on the side. Slip him $100 and you'll solve your problem without the hassles of buying a new vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Just remove the armrest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
If anybody has any ideas let me know.
Geez - I just looked at my '07 and my seatbelt latch can be pivoted down between the seat and the console so the armrest doesn't hit it when the seat folds forward. Admittedly you have to scrunch the seat cushion a little bit, but that doesn't seem like a big deal. Re: their "satisfaction guaranteed" slogan, you can always give this lawyer a call . . .
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3269485&page=1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
go4broke
go4broke is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

2004 Black RedLine Vue debonged, K&N cold air intake kit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to go4broke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help go4broke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
go4broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

My seatbelt latch also freely moves downward to clear the armrest.

This reminds me of a parody in a National Lampoon magazine.

General Motors stops manufacturing cars!

General Motors finally conceded that they could not manufacture a car of significant quality. Other big news... Mercedes Benz has sent a recall to replace the bearings in their ashtray drawer ass'y. The ashtray did not operate as smooth as it should of.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Like Ole' Abe said, "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
.....If anybody has any ideas let me know. I was thinking of asking them to install a center console from the earlier models because the new console is what is getting in the way and not letting our seatbelt latch fall out of the way when the seat is folded flat.
I like the idea to move to the seatbelt down, so it doesn't get crunched - problem solved. For if you have the passenger seat folded, it is unlikely that you are using it.

Selling your sweet Vue for that problem is like selling your home because you've spilt milk on the floor....

You can't be serious....your long diatribe suggests an affliction, like manic depression, or borderline personality disorder....like the judge suing for 54 mill over some pants....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
...You can't be serious....your long diatribe suggests an affliction, like manic depression, or borderline personality disorder....like the judge suing for 54 mill over some pants....
Maybe, but I wasn't going to psyco-analyze other than perhaps a situational reaction to adult life.

We've all seen these:

Them: "...It breaks the seatbelt receiver."

You: "Move the receiver out of the way."

Them: "But I shouldn't have to move the receiver. The car shouldn't do this."

You: "Maybe not, but you refusing to participate in the simple solution is somewhat disfunctional unto itself."

Them: How dare you assault me in that fashion! I was murdered when I was a child and deserve some sympathy. GM builds lousy cars and this one proves it."

You: "Well then, perhaps this just isn't the car for you. Look up in a previous response to your problem. Someone suggested that you buy a Toyota. If not having to move the receiver is worth $5,000 to you then be our guest."

Them: "You're just shilling for Saturn and GM."

And the thread just goes away later that evening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

This makes me laugh.

Because ONE PART shows signs of being designed poorly and constantly needing replacement, (Even though removing the armrest would solve the problem) the entire VEHICLE (which does NOT exhibit these signs) must be traded in because it is going to constantly break?

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
sblarson
sblarson is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
We have had no real problems with Saturns until now.
Oh yeah? Remember writing this?

Quote:
All I know is that I'm done with Saturn after this VUE. I just thought if I never pressed the button I would forget the VUE even had On-Star. But I was very wrong. Also, after my last service Saturn knocked of part of the antenna for On-Star in the car wash.
On-Star in not the only reason I'm done with owning Saturns. The interior of the car is of poor quality. (ex: door panels scuff + rip easily, seat-belt latch thing is all cracked, cloth used on seats is pulling away, etc....).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sblarson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sblarson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblarson View Post
I love it when someone gets busted.....good catch sblarson.

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
cjbondra
cjbondra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblarson View Post
WOW! You really have alot of time on your hands.

I forgot I even wrote that. I had no problems with my '04 Ion, but trading it in for a VUE was a mistake. The whole electric problem, then On Star's terrible telemarketing, now a self mutilating armrest. My wife wanted an SUV, we stayed with Saturn. Thought we would enjoy the VUE as much as the Ion. We got proved wrong. So really no problems with Saturn untill the first month of owning this VUE. This is the sixth Saturn in my family and the only one with issues. Goodbye Saturn, we'll miss the cookies, soda, the leather couches, and last but not least Al Clapdaddy the greatest salesman.

We traded for a Chevy, and the difference in vehicle quality is so nice. Also being able to buy a real base model without all the technology is music to my ears. So please rant and rave and tear my post apart. I'm ending my membership hear and now. No more Oldsmobiles, oops I mean Saturns for me!
TA TA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cjbondra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cjbondra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cjbondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
..... Also being able to buy a real base model without all the technology is music to my ears. So please rant and rave and tear my post apart. I'm ending my membership hear and now. No more Oldsmobiles, oops I mean Saturns for me!
TA TA!
Ciao!
Technology? Onstar hardly qualifies...its a cellphone with gps. Cellphones and gps have been around for a while....shame about the car-wash knocking off your antenna. I presume this caused you a headache...hardly the cars fault? The door panels 'ripping' is a new one to me....the seatbelt has been discussed.
Anyways, wish you well in your new ride. If you got an Equinox, I suspect it is as similar to a Vue, as you can get...

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

Quote:
I'm ending my membership hear and now. No more Oldsmobiles, oops I mean Saturns for me!
TA TA!
After only 6 posts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:36 AM   #17
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
WOW! You really have alot of time on your hands.

I forgot I even wrote that. I had no problems with my '04 Ion, but trading it in for a VUE was a mistake. The whole electric problem, then On Star's terrible telemarketing, now a self mutilating armrest. My wife wanted an SUV, we stayed with Saturn. Thought we would enjoy the VUE as much as the Ion. We got proved wrong. So really no problems with Saturn untill the first month of owning this VUE. This is the sixth Saturn in my family and the only one with issues. Goodbye Saturn, we'll miss the cookies, soda, the leather couches, and last but not least Al Clapdaddy the greatest salesman.

We traded for a Chevy, and the difference in vehicle quality is so nice. Also being able to buy a real base model without all the technology is music to my ears. So please rant and rave and tear my post apart. I'm ending my membership hear and now. No more Oldsmobiles, oops I mean Saturns for me!
TA TA!
Eeek, I can't imagine what Chevy you replaced it with that would be better. And folks will tell you that I'm definitely no Saturn schill. I call 'em like I see 'em. Just rented an '07 Equinox (all they had left when my flight arrived late) and it was even cheesier inside than our VUE, but with a substantially worse powertrain. The 3.4L was just painful compared to the Honda engine in the VUE. It only had 1500 miles on it and was already rattling.

Anyway, how's old Al Clapsaddle doing? I haven't seen that name in many years. He used to be a regular contributor to the Saturn USENET newsgroup.

Best,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #18
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Damn armrests!!!

Good luck with your Saturn Equi... I mean Chevy.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
Damn armrests!!!

Good luck with your Saturn Equi... I mean Chevy.
I'd rather have a larger padded console armrest than the captain chair style the earlier VUE's used.

The interior of the Torrent is more upscale than the Equinox. The shiny chrome bezel around the shifter area looks cheesy. Showed scratches and reflections at times. The Chinese engine was nothiung to write home about and gave worse mileage than the L66.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #20
OceanVue
OceanVue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

A couple of these should take care of those pesky armrests!

2006 Saturn Vue 3.5 V6
"Oversteer is when the passenger is scared; understeer is when the driver is scared!!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OceanVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OceanVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OceanVue is offline   Reply With Quote