SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #21
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Re: Who has owned their S since new?

I didn't buy my SL2 BRAND new, but bought if from Saturn of Spartanburg in 2002 when it was 4 years old, the original owner traded it in there for a new Saturn.

My grandparents bought their 1994 SL1 brand new from Saturn of Greenville. The retailer had only been open since August of 1992 so there were VERY few Saturns in the upstate. It was like having a novelty car. When my grandparents would be at the grocery store, or gas station people would ask "What kind of car is that?" I remember my grandparents went to NY to visit my grandpa's brother and they told him they bought a Saturn and he said "Why'd you buy a foreign piece of junk, you should have bought an American car". My grandpa just told him a Saturn was more American than about any other car on the road.

Buying that SL1 was a great experience for them (and me, I was only 11 and the retailer kept me and my 6 year old sister entertained!). They gave us sodas, let us walk around, and the receptionist kind of "babysat" us while my grandparents were buying the car. I still remember the guy who sold it to them, Ken Ruby. He was probably the epitome of what a Saturn sales consultant should be. He worked there until around 2001 and moved out to Colorodo. He was a great guy and was always giving me lots of Saturn stuff, and keeping my updated on all the new products.

Anyway, I thought all that was really cool even as an 11 year old.

In December of 1998 while at the "unveiling" of the 1999 3 door coupe, my grandma saw it and fell in love, and THAT night, traded in her SL1 for a 1999 SC1 3 door. They only had two on the entire lot, one in the showroom for demos (it was an SC2) and one outside parked up on a raised level. That was the SC1, and she bought it in early December. I believe she was the very first 3-door owner in upstate South Carolina. They still to this day get a lot of looks and questions about that.

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #22
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I got mine in sept. 1996. I made them put michelins on it. my saturns history:
sept. 1996 picked it up.
early 1997 car kept stalling out with less than ten k miles, they replaced fuel pump under warranty
1998 cracked front facia on a snow bank oops...
1998 replaced ac compressor under saturn service plan
2000 replaced michelins at 110,000 miles!!!
2002 ac stopped working
2002 got in small fender bender, my fault
Oct 2004 rear ended by drunk driver
Nov 2004 rear ended by co worker

so almost 10 years, 3 wrecks and 230k miles...its still running but obviously its got some problems. I've not mentioned all the little stuff I've done like replace the belt tensioner etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dp97sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #23
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I ordered my SL2 in May and drove it off the dealer lot in June of 1998. Since then, I have put on 104K miles with the majority of them being mainly trouble-free.

The dealership experience, even with the pomp and circumstance that followed once I signed all the paperwork, was ten times better than the Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Ford, Honda and Subaru dealers I visited that summer for cross-shopping purposes.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #24
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by geartooth94
redkees, I want that color! what is that?

i thought copper was only available on the '96 SL1s. at least that's what that color looks like!

Mountain Berry Red--Both cars. That picture doesn't show the true color as
the sunlight that day kept going in and out so they looked different.
In the summer after I wash and wax 'em both they'll look better-it's 12 degrees out there today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #25
ctjalsma
ctjalsma is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Bought mine new in Feb, 1991. Vin is 110378. I'm going through a rehabilitation at the moment, new sensors, plugs, wires, clean everything, etc (kill rattles, etc). Main problem is blown motor mounts, which I'm in the process of replacing at the moment.

Car has 173,000 miles, still gets 28 MPG. I've tried to kill it, but it's been hanging on, so now I'm treating it nice to keep it going. It responds really well to just a little TLC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ctjalsma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ctjalsma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ctjalsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #26
Moose Man
Moose Man is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Happy Re: Who has owned their S since new?

I have a 96 SL1 and bought her new end of 95 from the Saturn in NW Indiana. It was our first new car. She has over 170,000 miles on her and going strong. Really didn't drive her much for a couple of years because I had a company car with my old job. When we bought a Xtera in 92 for my wife the car just sat in the drive most of the time. However, I couldn't get rid of her because it was paid off and I have not had any real problems with her until this past year. Had to replace a cracked cylinder head. I was able to do that myself for less than $500 in parts and it was a good learning experience. Been using her almost everyday for the past 6 months. She still gets good mpg and has held up well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moose Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moose Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moose Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #27
celegante
celegante is on a distinguished road

2002 SC
1992 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Who has owned their S since new?

I bought my 1992 SC new from Saturn of Salt Lake. I had to order my car because there were only two to choose from on the lot and neither was what I wanted.

My car was late being delivered because of some kind of railroad strike. Instead of it being transported on a train, it had to come on a vehicle carrier on the road.

The salesmen was very nice to work with. Just like they advertised, there was no haggling. You tell them the options you want, they tell you the price and you either pay it or leave.

The service department guys are the best. If I call on a Friday afternoon with a car problem, they find a way to fit me in. The day my stolen car was found, the were able to squeeze me in to take a look at it and make sure it was safe to drive.

Great car. Great experience.

'92 SC 104,000 miles
'02 SC2 46,700 miles RIP 12/4/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to celegante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help celegante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
celegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

So far, every Saturn (SC2) that I've driven has been factory ordered, including the latest 2002 version.

Our first VUE was also new, but as a leased vehicle will likely be returned in 4 years.

Eric & Genieve
2002 SC2 5-spd 50.9k miles
2006 VUE 5-spd 0.2k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric02SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #29
SliM
SliM is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I bought my 1998 SL2 with about 5,000 miles on it. It was a demo car that the dealer used. I've had it ever since. It has 246,000 miles on it and its still kickin' as far as the engine goes. Currently I am having some tranny problems. If Saturns were still made the same way they were yesteryear. I would buy another. I don't know about the new models. It seems like they have changed so much. All in all I have had a great experience with my Saturn. I just love my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SliM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SliM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SliM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #30
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliM
I bought my 1998 SL2 with about 5,000 miles on it. It was a demo car that the dealer used. I've had it ever since. It has 246,000 miles on it and its still kickin' as far as the engine goes. Currently I am having some tranny problems. If Saturns were still made the same way they were yesteryear. I would buy another. I don't know about the new models. It seems like they have changed so much. All in all I have had a great experience with my Saturn. I just love my car.
That's our problem too. If anything happens to my '02 SC2, I'm not going back to Saturn to replace it. The ION doen't appeal to me and anything that get's worse than 36-37 mpg on the highway will interest me either.

We leased an '06 VUE for my wife to use while I'm working out of town and so that she doesn't need to drive me to work and drag the kids out of bed so early on the days that she needs the car for something like driving the kids to school/pre-school.

The Relay doesn't really interest me because it is not a true Saturn. If it were a true Saturn, it would have polymer sides just like the S-Series, VUE and ION currently have. When Saturn replaces polymer sides with metal sides of their other lines, they will have nothing at all that interests me! The only thing that would bring me back to anything in the GM lineup would be a viable hydrogen vehicle and who knows when that will actually happen.

Eric & Genieve
2002 SC2 5-spd 50.9k miles
2006 VUE 5-spd 0.2k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric02SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #31
Pol
Pol is on a distinguished road

February 1997 from Saturn Boise. We were trading in our '95 Saturn because we were about to go over the miles on our lease and I need a bit more space in the trunk area. So we went with the SW2. We wanted standard so had it ordered from the factory. All of the wagons on the lot were automatics .

98k miles later and still getting 29mpg in town and just had 33 on a long trip. Have replaced the engine mounts (done by the dealer, since I had not found this site yet), valve gasket, and the water pump (thank you Wolfman).

Now if I could find a cheap used Saturn around here for my wife so that I could dump our Windstar (money pit)....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:36 AM   #32
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Which one?

97' SL2 bought in 00' with 39K on it

05' VUE bought last Oct. with 122

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #33
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Which one?

97' SL2 bought in 00' with 39K on it

95' SL1 Bought in 99' with 67k on it (gone now)

92' SL2 Bought in 01' with 89k on it (totaled by stepson)

91' SL1 Bought in 02' with 135k on it (gone now)

(Not an "S" but....05' VUE bought last Oct. with 122m)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #34
steve-o
steve-o is on a distinguished road

1996 SL
2000 SL1

October 2000, Monday night, 8pm. bride's 95 neon crapped out AGAIN (a/c compressor burnt up, 2nd time in 8 months.)
pushed the neon off the road into a parking lot, drive down haggerty (where all the dearlers are) and the first one we came to was Saturn of Farmington Hills (mi).
Sales consultant: Hello! what brings you in to Saturn? is it the safety features? reliability? good looks?
me: you're the dealer closest to where the neon died.

1 hour later we were driving home with papers for our NEW 2000 sl1.
Picked up car on tuesday.
Thursday nite got full dinner with all the fixin's and a familiar waiter. Saturn of Farmington Hills was celebrating their 10 year anniversary and the office staff were the wait staff. first sign of many that saturn would do anyting to keep us happy!
Since it was last year's model we got 10% off. no pressure, no hassle.

i wish all my car purchases were that easy, but if they were then saturn wouldn't stand out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steve-o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steve-o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #35
AzBlondeRocket
AzBlondeRocket is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

I bought my 2001 SL2 from Saturn of Tempe, May 21, 2001, with 41 miles. (My dealer had it driven in from Glendale.) It was a birthday present to myself. I had originally wanted the silver-blue, but the only one they had was an auto...so I went ahead and ordered the one I wanted. A day later my salesguy called, telling me that a gold SL2 with everything except ABS and foglights was coming to Saturn of Glendale. I said yes, sight unseen, had my dead 1995 Neon towed in, and went home in the Blonde Rocket.

Today the Blonde Rocket sits in the garage as a garage queen. He has about 38,7xx, and runs fairly well. My former job required some driving that I wasn't willing to use the SL2 for, so I bought a 1998 Tracker, which I kept for six weeks, then traded in for a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT. The Vibe is my daily driver as I want to keep the Saturn forever. The Blonde Rocket has some road rash, and a few dents on the hood from losing a fight with a falling microwave, but I LOVE my car. I want to be the (way) old man driving around in my Saturn in 30 years.

2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-
1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AzBlondeRocket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AzBlondeRocket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AzBlondeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #36
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

My first Saturn, the race car, was bought brand new in November of 1995. The day I was hired at GM. More than 10 years later (not much more), I still have both.
My buying experience was something along the lines of a "fairy" tale. I wanted a wagon. They were 6 months behind on those, but had plenty of coupes and sedans waiting to find good homes. I decided on a brand new one (was looking at used) and got the '96 on order, everything but the sunroof. Drove her around for about a year before I got hooked into racing and the rest is history.
I love my Saturn dealership. They were very nice. I remember my salesman's name. Terry S (cannot even begin to spell or pronounce his last name, it was hard to do, so we just called him Terry. Glad he didn't mind). I got my second Saturn there too. Used. A '96 coupe. I still have my first one, sitting in her trailer waiting to be plucked out and worked on for the upcoming racing season.
I also have another 1996 Sedan now as well. Manual everything. Sunroof, 5 spd. No power locks or windows. No A/C. Drinks oil like a fish drinks water.. But hey, for 500 bucks, who can complain? Kicking stereo, so I am more than happy. hehehe
My race car still has less than 55,000 miles on her. Most of them done a 1/4 mile at a time. My street Sedan has over 115 ,000 on him and I am very impressed with how well built these cars are. They are like my Dodge truck in that it is next to impossible to kill them (not impossible mind you, just next to it, LOL).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MydnightMyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #37
Faunna
Faunna is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Got mine in November of 96' @ Saturn of Irving with 7? miles on it.

I thought it was an easy enough request. 4-doors, green (maybe purple), *manual* tranny, NO power windows/locks/seats, NO leather with a spolier and maybe painted bumpers for esthetics... and cheap.

Unfortunately it was during the David McDavid days so it was not as easy of a buying experience as I expected and was far from how the Saturn Way had been represented on TV. The salesman (yes, HE was a salesman) couldn't grasp the concept of *no luxury features* and kept trying to persuade me to go with power options and other things I'd clearly stated I had zero interest in. Pretty much the first words out of my mouth were "I don't want automatic or power ANYTHING... except steering of course" and I had to repeat myself frequently. He seemed far more interested in what he could tack on and meeting his goal of padding his sales and far less interested in meeting my goal of acquiring reliable AFFORDABLE transportation without any bells or whistles.

I did end up with a higher-end car than I went looking for; however, it was because the one on the lot (I think I found it on my own) was off in ways I was willing to spend a little more on to get it w/o waiting... 2 level trim and a premium sound package. Why he was so pig-headed about trying to sell me on accessories I didnít want and couldn't afford anyway when there was a 4-door with a spoiler in dark green with a manual tranny, no power accessories or leather sitting right there I'll never know.

He finally wore me down at the end of the process and I agreed to some dealer package fabric and paint protector stuff. Seems like there was haggling too. The old talk to me, run talk to the manager, come talk to me, go talk to the manager. As a shy 22 year old woman barely making ends meet w/o a car payment the experience was exactly what I had hoped to avoid by choosing Saturn and it was disheartening. He also had the balls to tell me how to fill out the survey. Told me things like make sure to fill it out all 5's or they'd get in trouble with corporate. Sounded to me like he'd gotten busted for being a *salesman* before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Faunna's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Faunna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Faunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:27 PM   #38
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Bought my 01 SL1 off the lot in Feb of 2001. My car at the time died in my drive way (at least it got me home with a spun bearing). The dealer gave me $400 for my dead car site unseen, they even came and towed it away. Well when I went to pick up my car the next day, had the windows tinted, my wife saw a green SL1 and decided she wanted one too, so for about 3 years we had his and hers SL1's. We had to trade in her car for a family truckster but it was cool while it lasted. When purchased my car had 14 miles on it the wifes had 44. I just rolled 68k on mine, so far so good.

2007 Outlook XE
2006 Grand Prix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HJ92126's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HJ92126 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:28 AM   #39
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo
how in the hell did you get a price like that? my 01 sc2 costed me around $21,000 with tax, of course it was fully equipped. even the base stripped models were selling around the $13,000-$14,000 range if my memory serves me correctly. if not, you can blame the high comsumption of aspartame over the years that blanked out my memory!
Spring Editions were a cheapo "end of run" version of the S... . Very
little option choice, all were the same color (silver/blue) and priced
accordingly.

Now have approx. 71k miles - virtually maintenance free. Has been to the
dealer just once in it's life. Cost per mile has been outstanding - 33-40 mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #40
fullhart
fullhart is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I got my 95 SC2 in October 94. The one I test drove was an automatic. I wanted a stick for faster take-off, so I ordered it and had to wait for it to come in. I don't remember how long it took, but I waited anxiously for it to come. It has everything except a CD player. My dad took me there to pick it up when it came in, and joked that he would drive the Saturn home for me while I drove his car back home (haha, funny dad). I fell in love with the car instantly. It's red with the pop-up headlights, and rear spoiler. I felt like I was driving a sports car (okay, a "sporty" car). To me it had a lot of umph! My nephews tell me that when I die, they get my car. This year I had an engine put in because the original blew a ring at 151,000. I almost junked her, but I couldn't part with her. The replacement engine is a 98, and is supposed to only have 39,000 miles on it (from 6th Planet). I would love to have her for at least another 10 years/ 150,000 miles.

1995 SC2 172,000 miles
1979 Chevy C20 Pickup 180,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fullhart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fullhart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fullhart is offline   Reply With Quote