SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default $*@#(#@ Water Pump

So, went out for lunch the other day with a couple friends. Took the Saturn. Came back and pulled into the lot at school and one of my buddies noticed the steam from under the hood.

Got the car home from school yesterday night and started searching down the source of the steam. I had it narrowed down to the t-stat (which was replaced last week) or the water pump. Upon further inspection, I could see a white stripe across one of the hoses that runs in front of the serp. belt. Knew at that point it was the water pump.

Borrowed my Dad's car today ('02SL) to come to school, and he and my Mom dropped the '94 off to our mechanic while my Mom was going to school. Just talked to them and confirmed that yeah... it is the water pump. Anyhow, they pulled a used one from a car out back and threw it into my car. $100. I'm back on the road again. I'll be happy to have my CD player back, but I'll be upset without the 5 cog.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
SliverXZennon
SliverXZennon is on a distinguished road

Default Re: $*@#(#@ Water Pump

Exact same thing happened to me today...

It sucks but it happens. OEM Pump went 135k which isn't too bad..

Sliver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SliverXZennon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SliverXZennon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Kevin94SL

2006 ION-3 Sedan

mmmm....250,000km on the '94SL1... that's about 155,000mi.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
SliverXZennon
SliverXZennon is on a distinguished road

That's not too bad! Most domestics dont make it to 100k..

Sliver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SliverXZennon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SliverXZennon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

77K on my replacement OEM water pump now and still running. The last one (original) pooped at 153K.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Mine went at around 160k. Sounds like 150-160k is the average life of the OEM. I've only put about 18k on my replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:41 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

You're cursing about having to spend $100 on a part that lasted 250,000 km, including somebody else putting it in? That's 2500 km per Canadian dollar. 25 km per Canadian penny. Including labor. Gosh, what a ripoff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Why a used waterpump?!

A new one only cost around $30.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #9
M.Nguyen
M.Nguyen is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin94SL
yeah... it is the water pump. Anyhow, they pulled a used one from a car out back and threw it into my car. $100.
Perfect ingredient for an "Oh SHOOT Cake."

How many miles? New seal? how was the pulley?

But i guess some people can't go w/o a car for one reason or another.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M.Nguyen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M.Nguyen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Kevin94SL

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Okay. To clear a few things up. I'm not pissed off at spending $100. I have a great mechanic that does wonders for me. I'm pissed off at the timing of this all. Everyone at the house needed a car this week, so there is a lot of extra running around to do now that we are down a car.

Second. The "new" pump came out of a 2002 with 18,000km on it that was written off.

Even if this pump lasts me 75,000km, I feel that I'll have received a good deal.

As for the price of a new water pump, I would like to see someone come up here and get a new water pump for $30. I'd be surprised to see you walk out for under $150 just part in hand.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
As for the price of a new water pump, I would like to see someone come up here and get a new water pump for $30. I'd be surprised to see you walk out for under $150 just part in hand.
Let's not forget the USD / CDN exchange rate. 'Course, that only accounts for a small portion of the disparity. Is there perhaps some big tariff or something on items like this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Canada does tax the hell out of thing, but I would still NEVER put a used water pump on ANYTHING, regardless of mileage.....but that's just me....hope yours lasts a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
JTB
JTB is on a distinguished road

New water pump, not a rebuilt, at Checker auto ranges from 30.00 to 45.00 dollars. Replaced one not long ago on S series, not a very hard install, 147,000 miles, replaced the t-stat at the same time, also a new belt and tensioner pulley.Took care of an overheating problem along with a squealling belt issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JTB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JTB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
I would like to see someone come up here and get a new water pump for $30. I'd be surprised to see you walk out for under $150 just part in hand.
Sorry, but I gotta disagree. Even if you're talking loonies, it would be EASY to source a new water pump for less than C$150.

BTW, it sounds like you've already had it fixed. If so, then why is everyone still having to scramble without the use of a car?

If you haven't already fixed it, I would seriously recommend that you investigate prices for a new water pump. I would not recommend a used water pump unless schedule actually dictates this or there is no other feasible alternative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #15
Kevin94SL

2006 ION-3 Sedan

It's already in, but we haven't had the time to pick the car up. It's not in the direction that anyone is going... there just hasn't been the time to get it yet. Probably tomorrow nite at the earliest.

I've used a lot in the way of used parts from this guy, and he backs his **** up. We haven't had any problems with him (We've also bought 6 cars off him)...

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread