SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #41
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Default Re: Saturn Corperation: My Polymer Panels

I'm betting a polymer trunk lid or hood would feel flimsy when raised and scare a lot of people, even if heat isn't a factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #42
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
A polymer hood would be interesting...though I'm not sure it could take the heat.
it would swell up HUGE more than a balloon

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 PM   #43
gdf
gdf is on a distinguished road

Polymer will be gone in the next few years. GM has decided that panel gaps are more important and Polymer costs alot more to produce than sheetmetal. I agree - Polymer is great, but I suppose they've gotta do what they've gotta do. Bummer.
The face of Saturn will be changing dramatically in the next few years however, starting with the SKY. Dramatic design changes are coming which should set Saturn apart quite a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #44
Z600
Z600 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdf
Polymer will be gone in the next few years. GM has decided that panel gaps are more important and Polymer costs alot more to produce than sheetmetal. I agree - Polymer is great, but I suppose they've gotta do what they've gotta do. Bummer.
The face of Saturn will be changing dramatically in the next few years however, starting with the SKY. Dramatic design changes are coming which should set Saturn apart quite a bit.
I think one of the reasons they want to do away with the polymer is lack of bodywork. The slightest bump, and your standard vehicle has to go to the shop, usually a dealership. With the polymer panels, you can take a heckuva wallop and no marks. I would imagine that lack of repair work probably cuts into somebody's profit margin over time, especially when you consider the solidity of the drivetrain...

GREED! IT'S ALL ABOUT GREEEED!!!

Just my opinion.
~Z600

BTW, these gaps they keep talking about... I remember reading in the car magazines about them. I remember going out and checking over my S, but I never found them. You wanna' talk fit and finish, look at that canyon of a gap around pick-up bumpers. I've yet to figure that one out, and they're noticeable from 50 feet!

Last edited by Z600; 12-29-2004 at 05:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z600's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z600 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #45
ender
ender is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

One of the biggest reasons that I continue to buy Saturns are the Polymer Panels. It makes them more practical and they will always look as good as they day you drove your car off the showroom floor. Obviously Saturn needs to take a stand as a brand and let GM know that the reason that they have been so successful is that they are not just another rebadged GM car, they have a uniqueness to the cars themselves, and the dealers that sell and service them. So Saturn stick to the Polymer Panels, heck even Lutz himself said that the Skys platform was infinitely variable as far as the outside design goes. Steel has worked on cars for a long time, but steel on Saturns means the death of the soul of a truly great auto maker.
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ender's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ender reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #46
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

All manufacturers of cars and even some trucks make bumper exteriors out of plastic. Why can't GM continue to make door panels and fenders plastic as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2005, 11:25 PM   #47
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Information Re: Saturn Corperation: My Polymer Panels

I've skimmed through the three pages of posts on this topic (so far) and as a new member, I'm compelled to add my own two cents' worth:

When the time comes for me to replace my Ion, (some days that can't come soon enough it seems), I see my choices as follows: 1. Buy my first imported vehicle, or 2. Find some other domestic, metal-bodied car and count the days til it rusts from inside out and from a myriad of door dings and other minor dents. Like a lot of other Saturn owners, I picked my first Planet (a '91 SL, Grey) in part because I knew it wouldn't rust as fast and would look newer longer than a comparable metal-bodied car. As a previous poster noted with their '97 SC2, many of my past and present coworkers expressed surprise upon learning my last Saturn was a 1996 (it was traded in late 2003). Removing the polymer takes away so much of the uniqueness that is Saturn, I see no difference in choosing a Chevy over a Honda over a VW, from that perspective. It vexes me that Saturn is bent on doing this with all of its vehicles, starting with the Relay. Here's a shred of optimism that someone with enough clout at GM will smell the resin and ensure the next Ion is also polymer clad (preferably the hood, roof and trunk top too).

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #48
gdf
gdf is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Saturn Corporation: My Polymer Panels

Good bye Polymer. GM is to blame, not Saturn.
At the very least GM (oh...oops!) I mean, Saturn should continue the polymer on the future ION/replacement model.

My next car will likely be an import unless GM allows Saturn to actually have some competitive, quality products.
Why does it take GM so flipping long to integrate variable valve timing, better fuel economy, etc, etc, etc.
...and then they wonder why they're losing market share.

My '98 Saturn has POLYMER, it looks Great and is durable.
....oh never mind. Pffff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gdf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gdf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #49
magikal_dragon
magikal_dragon is on a distinguished road

2005 ION Red Line

When I saw the ION commercials last year with the bus backing into the door, the kid hitting it with his toy, bowling ball, cart, etc I knew I had to have one. I was familiar with Saturns and had friends who raved about them but didn't have enough established credit/$$ for a new car until last year. And I was going crazy trying to figure out what kind of car to buy. I needed something relatively cheap and reliable, GM product, and something that would last. The polymer panels sold me right then and there. My dad raised me to take utmost care of your vehicle and door dents are a major pet peeve of his...it was kinda drilled into my head to watch where you park, etc just to not get door dings. He is extremely impressed with the new Saturns and its hard to impress my dad with anything. And he works for GM!

Those polymer panels got Saturn another loyal customer. And this customer tries to get others to join the "Saturn Cult" just b/c of how pleased I am with the polymer, the customer service, and the price. KEEP THE POLYMER!!!! Its great!!!

'05 Pacific Blue ION Redline

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magikal_dragon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magikal_dragon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #50
SL1Joe
SL1Joe has a spectacular aura aboutSL1Joe has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

The downside is some people who park next to your Saturn might not be as careful not to hit your car with their door figuring ahh it's a Saturn it won't hurt it. I know i've had a few people look at mine that way, even though Polymer still scratches!! Wonder whats gonna happen in a few years when all new Saturn's are metal and somebody does that ooops can you say insurance claim. You'd think Insurance Companies would give you a discount for owning a polymer Saturn just for the savings on body work alone but unfortunatley mine doesn't probably because of the replacement cost of the panels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Joe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Joe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM   #51
micah_sl2
micah_sl2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

one thing i would do to your otherwise excellent letter is to seperate it into paragraphs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to micah_sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help micah_sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread